Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was up in Moab last week and only had one trail day, but was able to run Fins, Hell's Revenge and Top of the World with the new 4dr.

Ran Fins previously with the 2dr manual and thought it was pretty tough. The Unlimited and I didn't even flinch. The auto box really makes things simple for the driver.

Hell's was way more invigorating, especially the exit outside the park! That descent is arguably more difficult than the main trail.

Top of the World was awesome! I decided we had to do it because of the iconic photo-op at the top. Was worried about several of the trail guides saying lockers and big tires required. LOL We did it solo, with 1.25" lift, not disco'd and 33s running street pressure. The guy that passed us coming down with a lifted JL Rubicon on 37s pretty much wasted his money. haha

Only casualties were a bashed gas tank skid, missing mud flap, and smashed trailer connector. Frankly, the tank skid was probably all my fault and not the trail's. I was getting fatigued and stopped paying attention a couple times. May have even bashed in on Hell's for all I know. The view at the top was amazing but probably because you have to work so hard for it. Wish I could have got more pics but it looked like rain and I really didn't want to slide down the mountain.

Pulling up to the edge is unnerving. Tip of the hat to those that can get closer than I did. ;)

And some pics from Thelma & Louise Point. Shafer Trail was a really nice drive. Hope to do the whole White Rim Trail next time.

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
funny how your leg starts shaking pushing on the brakes :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol Indeed. It would have been much worse for my clutch leg if I still had the manual. I do miss the challenge though.

I got very friendly with the Hill Descent Control. It was nice for 90% of the drops to choose speed range with 1st or 2nd gear, then let the system ease her down and add a little juice with the gas when needed. Really nice feature, but not for use in the really hairy stuff.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Moab is amazing, isn't it? Living here in Utah you sometimes take the natural beauty and amazing landscapes for granted.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ran Top of the world and Hell's Revenge at EJS this year. Very windy at the photo spot. Watched a guy army crawl to the edge to take a pic straight down. This was my first time running both. At the top, I was told I ran it a little fast. My reply was I just wanted to get it over with ASAP. No one in my group wanted to ride with me. Wusses. I would run it again.
2 points of view.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We started to get some gusts at the Top as well. Almost took my phone out of my hand. Luckily, that was after I was sitting on the ledge taking a rest.

We bypassed the Gate. Not sure what was going on at that point though. Was following a UTV and an old CJ and neither seemed very experienced.

I really wanted to do Escalator but didn't think I should try it with no spotter and no way to winch out.

And I found more damage on my tie-rod and steering damper. I may be running slightly more toe-in than normal right now. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts