Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just got back from a trip to Rausch Creek with timp and yorkxj. Let me just say that on some of the blue trails (+1 black section!) I was skidding along on my armor more than I was on my tires. Made it out without any major damage, but now I get a bit of a groan when turning at full lock at low speed. Any ideas on what this could be or where I should start in the diagnosis process?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mike,

I'm familiar with the sound of the power steering pump. What I'm hearing now is much louder: either a driveline vibration or rub somewhere. It only happens at low speed, under load, while turning near/at full lock.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Hey Mike, I'm familiar with the sound of the power steering pump. What I'm hearing now is much louder: either a driveline vibration or rub somewhere. It only happens at low speed, under load, while turning near/at full lock.
Check the fluid level. Unless something is actually rubbing. The only other thing it can be is the pump.

check your brake/abs lines. I had one that would rub the tire at full lock. I had no idea what it was until I actually looked.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the fluid level. Unless something is actually rubbing. The only other thing it can be is the pump.

check your brake/abs lines. I had one that would rub the tire at full lock. I had no idea what it was until I actually looked.
Word.

I'll have a buddy drive it in circles tomorrow and see if I can't pinpoint where my sounds are coming from. I tried googling my question, but all I could come up with were issues people were having with their XJs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, found a parking lot and started checking things out. My vibe happens at around 5mph from stop, whether turned or driving straight. If I accelerate slowly, I don't get a buzz. It's when I accelerate moderately or faster. Seems to coincide with shifting gears (auto). Any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this happening in 2 wheel drive or 4x4?. My unit herrings make a bit of racket when they get loose. It could also be an axle U-Joint. Could be something as simple as the brake pads. Heck it can be a lot of things.
I'm getting it in 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Heheh, that's the killer: there's about a million things that could be causing the buzz. How can I diagnose u-joints and bearings?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The bearings are easy enough. Just jack up a tire put a pry bar under it or grab the tire by hand and see if it has any play in it. Its the same procedure for checking ball joints also.

You can take a pry bar and pry a little on the joints to check them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On first inspection, my u-joints are still tight. I'll run it through the works on Thursday when I have some time off. I would expect to hear any joint chatter at all speeds, not just at 5mph under load.

I was really smacking my skids and rails out on the trail this Saturday. Is it possible something is coming in contact with the exhaust system?

I'll see if I can get some video of what I'm experiencing. If I can't capture it on audio, I won't worry about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dropped my skid plate under my exhaust cross over and sure enough, those baby little tack welds securing the heat shied have cracked. Secured it back into place with a few hose clamps and everything is back in business.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I know how to diagnose u-joints now and will be sure to add that to my after action rig inspections.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts