Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently running mobil 1 full syn and im getting loud banging switching from reverse to drive and back to reverse as well as occasional lag on take off and most recently what sounded like me dropping the rear on the pavement on take off just a few hours ago. will switching to say valvoline or royal purple fix this issue?

·
Registered
907 Posts
im currently running mobil 1 full syn and im getting loud banging switching from reverse to drive and back to reverse as well as occasional lag on take off and most recently what sounded like me dropping the rear on the pavement on take off just a few hours ago. will switching to say valvoline or royal purple fix this issue?
You might try different gear oil , but honestly that's a Detroit locker thing they do sing

·
Registered
536 Posts
I doubt switching brands will do anything. What weight of oil did you put in it? I would think changing the weight/viscosity of the oil would do more than a different brand with the same viscosity would do. Did this just start all of a sudden or is this a new install? Like the previous poster mentioned, Detroit's do make a lot noise.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brand new install, not even at 700 miles yet

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have never run a Detroit because of the noise and handling quirks. That may be what you are experiencing. Others that have run them would be better suited to advise whether or not they quiet down a little as they break in.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
No, it won't fix your issues. Are you saying that you are using Mobil 1 motor oil but are having weird noises/feelings coming from your transmission?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No from the locker itself. when it unlocks to go forward or backward. sounds like a gun going off

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would find somebody local that has one and listen to theirs. Yours may not have been adjusted correctly when installed. If it sounds like the others then what you are are hearing is normal.

·
Registered
844 Posts
According to Currie you should not use synthetic in the axles. They had issues with the synthetic and stopped using it.
^^^This.

Detroit Lockers don't like synthetic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts