Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which synthetic oil is better? Mobile 1 or Valvaline? Also is the Mobile 1 oil filter better than a K&N?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I ran 210,000mi. on my 98 s-10 with valvoline....we run mobil 1 in my wife's MINI, and I run Motul 300v ester in my gsxr....as long as it's full synthetic it'll be good stuff. as far as filters go I'm not sure but I'd say that both k&n and mobil 1 are about equal

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
It's six in one and half a dozen in the other on both the oil and the filter. If you want to go with synthetic go with whichever is cheaper... same with the filter.

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
Which synthetic oil is better? Mobile 1 or Valvaline? Also is the Mobile 1 oil filter better than a K&N?
I wont get into the oil.

But a note for the filters....
Mobile 1 filter as does the K&N filter comes from the same factory.

I've cut both open as a test about 2yrs back....the ONLY differance between the two that could be found was the "NUT" on the K&N product. The internals and products used in them were the same. :)

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I have always used Valvoline but if I had to put in another oil Mobile 1 is the one that I would want. I think it is more about what you like when talking about these two companies. Same with the filters

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use Royal Purple in my Sonoma and my wifes 2010 JKU, with Wix or K&N oil filters. Love royal purple, makes my truck run cooler.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Valvolene and Mobil-1 are both using the Chevron-pioneered hydrocracking technique with group III stocks nowadays (for most M1 products, anyhow). There's not a whole lot of difference.
Now, back in the day, Mobil-1 was a group IV in their entire line and that was stuff to have. That and Amsoil, Redline, Torco, Motul, and a few others.
Purple was always a Group III, btw. Never worth the money, imho; not even close.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used Mobil 1...very good but moocho $$$. I switched to Cam @ just as good but much less $$$. I use Fram filters as they have neat rubber cover for easy removal!
Valvoline is a good oil but I think the synthetics are a bit better.

·
Registered
398 Posts
steam said:
I used Mobil 1...very good but moocho $$$. I switched to Cam @ just as good but much less $$$. I use Fram filters as they have neat rubber cover for easy removal!
Valvoline is a good oil but I think the synthetics are a bit better.
I use valvoline max life SYNTHETIC in my 01 TJ. Hmmm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts