Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a mobile dual-band ham radio with a detachable face plate with a speaker in the face plate. I found a discontinued Yaesu with it, but can't find any new models that have the speaker in the face plate. If I have to use a remote mount speaker, what do you recommend? Mounting options? I have the Vector Offroad dash bar.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I am looking for a mobile dual-band ham radio with a detachable face plate with a speaker in the face plate. I found a discontinued Yaesu with it, but can't find any new models that have the speaker in the face plate. If I have to use a remote mount speaker, what do you recommend? Mounting options? I have the Vector Offroad dash bar.

I'm running a Icom 7000 on my vector bar and just ran a aux speaker under the passenger seat with the radio base.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I am running a remote faceplate, attached to my windshield header above the driver sun visor. Since the radio is remote mounted, I have an external speaker also mounted to the windshield header, above/behind the rearview mirror.

I am using this RoadPro remote speaker:

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RP-108C-Extension-Speaker-Bracket/dp/B001JT3DYQ/ref=sr_1_26?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1546370230&sr=1-26

It works well, with decent audio output and good volume. I liked it so much, I bought a second one and mounted it in the dash of my Suburban (which also uses a remote mount ham radio). For $18, I think this is a great deal.

Reactions: jp4me

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
What was wrong with the discontinued Yaesu or is it no longer available? If it's still available, and it likely is, being discontinued shouldn't be taken as a negative. Both my my mobile radios are discontinued, including my Yaesu 2m, yet they still work superbly.

N6TAY

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was wrong with the discontinued Yaesu or is it no longer available? If it's still available, and it likely is, being discontinued shouldn't be taken as a negative. Both my my mobile radios are discontinued, including my Yaesu 2m, yet they still work superbly.

N6TAY
I saw it on a YouTube video and the guy said it was discontinued. I didn't even think to see if there were new ones still available. Will have to check and see.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
External speaker mounting

I mounted the base unit of a Kenwood TM-D710 that has an internal speaker, under the passenger seat and mounted an external speaker overhead between the seats. There really isn't that much room, or places, to mount something in a Jeep - even a JKU.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
I mounted the base unit of a Kenwood TM-D710 that has an internal speaker, under the passenger seat and mounted an external speaker overhead between the seats. There really isn't that much room, or places, to mount something in a Jeep - even a JKU.
There's plenty of room above the mirror where my radios have been mounted in both of my TJs.

The last photo shows my current radios mounted on an Arizona Rocky Road mount which requires no drilling to mount. Plus it hides the wiring inside so it makes for a clean install.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also running a discontinued Icom F121. Works flawlessly. They're all discontinued at some time. Enjoy yours if they still work.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I just set up my Icom IC-7000 on my vector bar and love it! I'll grab a pic for you.

Reactions: Squerly
1 - 11 of 11 Posts