Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on purchasing my first jeep pretty soon. It's a 2001 wrangler sport with the 4.0 I6 and an automatic transmission. I'm not sure if it has the D35 or D44 (could I do 33's on a D35?). I had some mods in mind (planning on running 33's) and was looking for some quick reviews/pics/general advice on the items I've looked at so far as well as the best order to add things. The jeep's going to be my daily driver and I'd like to do a little off reading a couple of times a month.
The items/upgrades I was thinking of (in this order) are:

Lift: DPG Ultimate Kit

Regear rear axle to 4.56

Tires: 33" Goodyear Duratracs

Add metalcloak fenders, front and rear 6 inch flares, and rocker rails

Warn front bumper, rear bumper, tire carrier, and vr8000 winch

Raptor line the tub as well as bed lining grill/ headlight bezels/ and hood

Sorry for the long first post, but I'd really like your opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
487 Posts
33s on a D35 will be fine. A D44 looks like an apple on it's side (I don't have a picture, I'm sure someone will post one tho). The DPG kit is quite nice; there are better lift options obviously, but there are also just as many that are horrendous. I'd say recovery should go right on with the lift, or fairly soon after.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If it is going to be your daily driver, 4.10 gears would probably be better than 4.56 since the 32RH automatic in the 2001 models is a 3-speed transmission with no overdrive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I re-read your post, I noticed that your second listed mod was to "re-gear rear axle to 4.56". You probably meant to say both axles because you wouldn't be able to use four-wheel-drive unless both axles are geared to match. If you are considering a locker or limited-slip for either axle, it would probably save you some money to install them while the axles are apart for re-gearing. Also, it would be great to have your 33's ready to mount when the axles are done because 4.56 or 4.10 gears would neither be desirable for any highway driving with stock size tires. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into the mods you want to eventually do, and it is a pretty good list.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't really looked too much at lockers or limited slip for the axles. Would I need them or would they at least be highly recommended for the light wheeling that I'd be doing?

·
Registered
256 Posts
No a jeep off the showroom floor is a excellent offroader i havent had lockers or limited slip. i have about a 3.5 inch lift with 33 12.50 duratrac's i love the tires although im going to try MTR's next although the duratracs are one of the best All terrain tires on the market its kinda a All terrain Mud terrain hybrid cause ive been in a good size bog with them and they preformed up to my expectations. /// that being said i have the auto tranny with a 4.0 d35 and the axle has been fine on rocks for about a year.

·
Registered
561 Posts
if you're going to get 33x12.50 tires youre gonna need wheel spacers for stock wheels or get new wheels with better back spacing

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm planning on purchasing my first jeep pretty soon. It's a 2001 wrangler sport with the 4.0 I6 and an automatic transmission. I'm not sure if it has the D35 or D44 (could I do 33's on a D35?). I had some mods in mind (planning on running 33's) and was looking for some quick reviews/pics/general advice on the items I've looked at so far as well as the best order to add things. The jeep's going to be my daily driver and I'd like to do a little off reading a couple of times a month.

Regear rear axle to 4.56

A. I like some of the products DPG offers(OME products), but the "ultimate kit is full of worthless parts......or at least parts that you can do much better on.

B. You have to regear BOTH axles.

C. 33" tires are a sweetspot for the TJ, but go with 33x10.5" instead of 33x12.5"s. 10.5" wide tires are so much better suited for the TJ/LJ.

D. Metal Cloak fenders = fantastic. Good choices here.

E. Warn bumpers? Go with Metal Cloak modular bumpers. Look at an ENGO winch w/synthetic line......better bang for the buck vs. the WARN winch.

F. Monstalining(or whatever brand you do)the tub is always a good thing.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Regear rear axle to 4.56

wow nice plans ... I would think about a tummy tuck also

I would definitely consider at least throwing a lunch box locker in your d30

it helped my old rig a ton, cant wait to put it in my new one

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it really worth all the extra money for the metal cloak bumpers? Especially if I'm doing fairly light off roading?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Is it really worth all the extra money for the metal cloak bumpers? Especially if I'm doing fairly light off roading?
It nice stuff. Not sure there is a huge price discrepancy though between the 2. With the MC bumpers you start with the base and add what you need or want for accessories.

Also, the DPG kit comes with some stuff that is IMO overpriced or kinda worthless(The JKS trackbars are not as good as Metal Cloaks trackbars and don't have as much clearance and MC trackbars are cheaper.....which means less bump stopping needed, and since your going with MC fenders you don't need to add any extra bumpstopping which is a good thing.....translates into more uptravel). Quick disconnects front, "adjustable links back.......overpriced, not needed. Better off with a Currie ANtirock or ORO dual rate swaylock up front and set of RE rear extended links as example. JKS MML/BL.......would be better off with Daystars BL and Browndogs MML as further examples. I like OME springs, and OME shocks are good too assuming mostly a DD. If doing a lot of offroading there are better monotube options for shocks out there though. But if its mostly a DD with light offroading then the OME nitrocharger shocks will work just fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,675 Posts
if you plan on wheeling it that often, take it out in the new to you form that you get it, have fun and see where your rig is lacking. there are a million options and ways you can go. your list is rather expensive for not having the jeep in your possession, let alone on the trails.

plus it will get you to be a better off-road driver and more intune with your vehicle

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
If your going to off road it then you ought to really think about some armor. At least the oil pans for the engine and trans,

·
Registered
64 Posts

Regear rear axle to 4.56

I saw you said pics and I didn't see any. But here's some of the bed lined grill, bezels and hood along with the raptor lined tub/roll bars in my case.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is getting the currie antilock a good idea if its going to mainly be my DD with some light offroading a couple times a month? I live in Illinois so there's not really too much rock crawling I could do. I'll mostly be doing whatever I can find in the woods or out in the farm country.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What exactly is your total budget before I answer any more questions or give insight? There are a lot of ways you can go, but knowing the budget will help a lot.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
if you plan on wheeling it that often, take it out in the new to you form that you get it, have fun and see where your rig is lacking. there are a million options and ways you can go. your list is rather expensive for not having the jeep in your possession, let alone on the trails.

plus it will get you to be a better off-road driver and more intune with your vehicle
You're just making too much sense here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can spend around $1500 for the lift and everything that needs to go with it. I want things that will let me do some light wheeling without failing. I don't have the need or budget for intense rock crawling equipment.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts