Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- was wondering if there are any mod friendly jeep dealers in the VA area you’d recommend for service/warranty work. I have a 2017 Rubicon I’m looking to put a 2” rancho lift and 33s but have heard some of the local dealers try to push back on warranty claims. I currently get service at Koons but they have been specific about those with mopar kits that get them done at the service dept. Any recommmedations would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I don't think I'd admit to wanting a Rancho lift, but that's just me.

Koons had no problem honoring the warranty on the wife's JKU transmission and she has a 3.5" AEV lift on it...

O_E

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it’s my DD so just wanted a mild lift to fit some larger tires. Mainly beach and snow with mild trails.

·
Registered
102 Posts
you should be fine. I would definitely agree with the part about a better quality lift. But as far as warranty claims, the only thing they can legally deny are claims based on the actual components that you replaced and the direct effect they may have had on something else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks what are your thoughts on 2” lifts to fit 285/70/17s? There were quite a few forum posts about the ranchos being decent.

you should be fine. I would definitely agree with the part about a better quality lift. But as far as warranty claims, the only thing they can legally deny are claims based on the actual components that you replaced and the direct effect they may have had on something else.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks what are your thoughts on 2” lifts to fit 285/70/17s? There were quite a few forum posts about the ranchos being decent.

2" lift with that tire size is fine! its just shy of a true 33" tire. honestly you could probably get away with that size without a lift and just run a 1" spacer. but a 2" lift will give it a decent stance.

As far as the Ranchos go they are "ok". I think for similar price point there are some better options out there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I am not looking for an excessive lift (yet) but something to get me going. I have a 2 door hardrock Rubicon but feel it needed a little more. Found the falken AT3s to spec out to 33” x 11.6 so like you said right at the 33 mark. I didn’t want to have to change too much out but get somewhat of a functional lift for off-road.

Originally was going for the OME 2” but saw the ranchos for a little less and didn’t require anything beyond the springs and shocks. It doesn’t require exhaust spacers or geo correction so basic but IMO a bit better for off-road than spacers.

Stock the Rubicon prob gets me most places I need to conquer off-road but the slight lift and tires seem to be a better configuration. I was going to post a separate post as I start to build out and add pics but wanted to get some thoughts first.

2" lift with that tire size is fine! its just shy of a true 33" tire. honestly you could probably get away with that size without a lift and just run a 1" spacer. but a 2" lift will give it a decent stance.

As far as the Ranchos go they are "ok". I think for similar price point there are some better options out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Ya I am not looking for an excessive lift (yet) but something to get me going. I have a 2 door hardrock Rubicon but feel it needed a little more. Found the falken AT3s to spec out to 33” x 11.6 so like you said right at the 33 mark. I didn’t want to have to change too much out but get somewhat of a functional lift for off-road.

Originally was going for the OME 2” but saw the ranchos for a little less and didn’t require anything beyond the springs and shocks. It doesn’t require exhaust spacers or geo correction so basic but IMO a bit better for off-road than spacers.

Stock the Rubicon prob gets me most places I need to conquer off-road but the slight lift and tires seem to be a better configuration. I was going to post a separate post as I start to build out and add pics but wanted to get some thoughts first.
I am not trying to be mean. But I saw this and thought you may be looking at this from the wrong point of view. When one 2" lift only includes a few things, like springs and shocks, and another 2" lift includes more parts, it is not that the first lift did not NEED anything else but rather it did not include the extra bits that make a better lift better.
When one lift of a given height includes extras that a cheaper lift of the same height does not include that usually means the lift that includes more is a more complete lift package. It seems very rare that lifts include everything you would want, but clearly some lifts include more than others. More is often better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
VA's a big state - what part?

I've always been the type who went to the stealership for everything. But when I went Jeep shopping I was not happy with the local dealerships for many reasons.

Bought my Jeep used so figure why not try an independent. Searched around and one day my wife put a flyer on my desk showing an independent up the street with Jeeps on each of their racks. She was attracted to the dealership because of their dogs - she met the owner's wife while she was walking her dogs.

Odd way to find a mechanic, but WTF.

So I checked them out on the net and except for one a$$hole, they had stellar reviews.

So called the owner, talked to him for a while, felt comfortable and decided to try him. To check his prices called the local dealer and they wanted twice what this guy quoted.

If you're in NoVA by Dulles Airport, try these guys. A#1 service, very nice people and honest - they came in under their quote because after they looked at the Jeep, told me one of the things in their quote wasn't needed. NEVER had that happen at a dealer.

https://autostopelite.com/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. I’m actually from NoVA as well. Bought my used from Farrish which was a good experience but their service is horrible. I’ve since switch to Koons in Tysons and so far they’ve been pretty good. Everything is still under warranty and I have the jeep wave discount so for now it’s okay. I assume when that all expires it’ll cost quite a bit for the service. Will definitely check out the place you mentioned.

I've always been the type who went to the stealership for everything. But when I went Jeep shopping I was not happy with the local dealerships for many reasons.

Bought my Jeep used so figure why not try an independent. Searched around and one day my wife put a flyer on my desk showing an independent up the street with Jeeps on each of their racks. She was attracted to the dealership because of their dogs - she met the owner's wife while she was walking her dogs.

So I checked them out on the net and except for one a$$hole, they had stellar reviews.

So called the owner, talked to him for a while, felt comfortable and decided to try him. To check his prices called the local dealer and they wanted twice what this guy quoted.

If you're in NoVA by Dulles Airport, try these guys. A#1 service, very nice people and honest - they came in under their quote because after they looked at the Jeep, told me one of the things in their quote wasn't needed. NEVER had that happen at a dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No offense taken and I agree with your POV. I just found after research that the rancho lift only gives you 2” so many other items like geo correction or LCAs, exhaust spacers, etc aren’t needed. With lifts like OME you actually seem to net almost 3” so those items start to become necessary. I think with mopar they are aware of that as well, hence the included driveshaft.

I’ve had the rancho lift on for about a week and only had an alignment done and it rides great. Again this was only what I was looking for (small lift to fit 33s) so I could add some more capability to my already capable Rubicon. May not work for someone else but I get your point.

I am not trying to be mean. But I saw this and thought you may be looking at this from the wrong point of view. When one 2" lift only includes a few things, like springs and shocks, and another 2" lift includes more parts, it is not that the first lift did not NEED anything else but rather it did not include the extra bits that make a better lift better.
When one lift of a given height includes extras that a cheaper lift of the same height does not include that usually means the lift that includes more is a more complete lift package. It seems very rare that lifts include everything you would want, but clearly some lifts include more than others. More is often better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m only familiar with NoVA area. Koons jeep is good and quick but pricey if you don’t have a warranty. Farrish is horrible. I’ve heard decent things about Ourisman.

Anyone have any success with Jeep mechanics in the central VA area?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Thanks for the tip! They are right around the corner from my office so I’ll have to stop in one day soon! :drinks:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts