Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I picked up my first jeep about three weeks ago! Red 1998 wrangler 2.5l 5 speed! Never thought I'd be a jeep guy but I needed a vehicle quick after my truck died so I picked it up cheep from a friend! It's pretty much stock besides
AEM cold air intake,
Airaid throttle body spacer,
PaceSetter Headers,
Magnaflow Cat,
Magnaflow Cat back

All of which I just put on the jeep 3 days ago! I took the jeep off road down some 4wheeler paths and fell in love with it! I spent a few years in the Army so this brought back some fond memories but nothing like afghanistan.

Anyways I was thinking 35inch tires with a 4inch lift! But I have never lifted a vehicle before. So with that said what's the best most compleat kit I can pick up for around 1000.00

And any other ideas would be nice. It's my daily driver but if I plan on going on the mountain I don't wanna get stuck!

Plus anyone ever rhino line the outside of there jeep? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
just off of everything i know you should run a 6" lift for 35's or a 4'' lift with a 1'' or 1.25" body lift. and with a 2.5 your gonna have to regear and "beef up" your rear D35. You shouldnt run anything past 33's with a D35 even then your pushin it. And your gonna need a SYE with a new drive shaft as well. But anyways awesome glad your happy with you jeep! :thumb:

Rule of thumb: stock or 2" lift for 31's, 4" for 33's, 6" for 35's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what your saying is either 31s or 33s at the most! I don't really wanna regear anything or any of that crazy jazz! As much as I like this jeep it's still my daily driver so I don't need to make it a super off roading machine, just want it a little bigger. But the question still stands what's the best compleat lift kit for under 1000$ between 2 and 4 inches

·
Registered
427 Posts
Zone makes a really good 4.25" combo lift for about $600 which leaves you room to purchase rear adjustable control arms and and an SYE/CV conversion...Might run you a little more than $1K but it'll be close and probably your best bet. Then you can run 33's...I've got the 2.5L as well and I'm running 32's w/no regearing and it's not that bad...Plenty of power on the road and plenty of power offroad as well...Granted I don't do "heavy/extreme" offroading either

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad your enjoying your "new" Jeep. Make sure to read the forums well as there is loads of information on what needs to be done to lift your Jeep.

General rules of thumb.
1. It will cost twice as much as you think it will no matter how well you plan.
2. You will never have good highway power with the 2.5 but offroad they are great
3. Don't go cheap or rule 1 goes to 3 times as much since you now have to replace the cheap stuff with good stuff.
4. "Go Topless" generally does not apply to females riding in the Jeep. (unless your lucky)
5. It is your Jeep do the mods that you want to do.
6. (Opinion based rule) NO CHROME!!!
7. Learn the Jeep wave and practice it.

That should be enough to get you started. I am sure others have a few rules to add on or to contradict mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the zone 4" suspention lift, i love it, fairly easy to install and came with decent instrutions. im running 33s and have room to flex. i paid $550 shipped.

p.s. i agree with garlandxj.. NO CHROME!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with you Afghanistan, breaking halfshafts and limping home with 3 wheel drive. I have a skyjacker 4" with 33''s. I paid under a $1100 for it all, just waited for a sale. I order my stuff through 4WD and they shipped it for free got it in 4 days. I did regear though I would recommend it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts