Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am new to the Jeep world and I am kind of at a loss right now at what to do. I know for sure that I am going to lift my jeep in the spring but I am not sure yet on the size of the lift or the tires yet. I wanted to know what other modifications I could possibly do that aren't too technical as I am not yet a master at working on my jeep. Any kind of suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
600 Posts
i bought mine 2 months ago and in same situation as you. first thing i did was relocate the mirrors to the body. i lifted it 2 in but i wish i went with a 4 in. it has 31s but i will be getting 33s soon. i also replaced the front and rear stock bumpers. bumpers are easy change uses factory bolt holes, well the ones i bought did. just remember to PB blast or WD-40 the bolts a few days before trying to work on it and get a good torx socket set. everything on the jeep is torx for the most part. have fun and dont be affraid of any project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never thought about the mirrors! Do you have to drill new holes in the body for that I guess? And I was actually thinking about the 4in lift with 33s but I am still not sure. I am worried about having to regear but I dont know if there will be a need to since I have the 4.0. Im not sure whether it currently has 3.07s or 3.73s in it now. I also was wanting to get a hitch for the jeep as my family will be getting a trailer soon. I believe that they are bolt on for the most part so they shouldn't be too bad. I was also looking at replacing the front bumper to accomodate a winch and I have looked at a few like the Rampage bumper but I am open to other ideas also.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
greenjeeper25 said:
I never thought about the mirrors! Do you have to drill new holes in the body for that I guess? And I was actually thinking about the 4in lift with 33s but I am still not sure. I am worried about having to regear but I dont know if there will be a need to since I have the 4.0. Im not sure whether it currently has 3.07s or 3.73s in it now. I also was wanting to get a hitch for the jeep as my family will be getting a trailer soon. I believe that they are bolt on for the most part so they shouldn't be too bad. I was also looking at replacing the front bumper to accomodate a winch and I have looked at a few like the Rampage bumper but I am open to other ideas also.
They make relocation brackets for the mirrors. Personally. I think the stock mirrors relocated or not are ugly. I'm replacing mine and relocating them to the windshield with ruged ridge quick release mirrors.

·
Registered
600 Posts
the brakets use the same holes as the windshield brakets. the rear bumper i bought has a trailer hitch built it.Smittybilt 76750D SRC Classic Rear Bumper

·
Knows a couple things...
49,722 Posts
The very first (!) modification that needs to be done before you start offroading is to install a protective skidplate for the engine's oil pan. It is vulnerable to damage/being punctured while offroading which could easily ruin the engine. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
The very first (!) modification that needs to be done before you start offroading is to install a protective skidplate for the engine's oil pan. It is vulnerable to damage/being punctured while offroading which could easily ruin the engine. :)
hey jerry,what brand would you recomend?

·
Registered
600 Posts
well it wasnt my first mod,but its gonna be the next one. i didnt even think of that:facepalm:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,722 Posts
hey jerry,what brand would you recomend?
I can't make an oil pan skidplate brand recommendation any more because it's been so long since I bought one... I don't know what's out there at this point. I'd wait for suggestions from more recent installers of them. Or do a google search for Wrangler TJ oil pan skid plates at Google Product Search and see what comes up.

But before doing that, look here in the Vendor and Dealer Spotlight forums to see what WF's vendors have available.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I've got this on mine http://www.teraflex.biz/oil-pan-skid-plate-wrangler-4-0l-1997-2001-only.html

It fits my 2002 5speed 4.0 no problem, not sure why it says 1997-2001. Its held on by the 3 bolts on the bottom of the bell housing. Teraflex makes a "HD" version that attaches better, but this one works fine for me. I have hit it once on a rock, and while it wasn't too hard, it didn't leave a dent, just a paint chip. It may not protect it from a hard, hard hit, but it will definitely stop punctures.

EDIT: darn, didn't see it was out of stock. Probably sold them all at that price. Sorry im not much help!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I can't make an oil pan skidplate brand recommendation any more because it's been so long since I bought one... I don't know what's out there at this point. I'd wait for suggestions from more recent installers of them. Or do a google search for Wrangler TJ oil pan skid plates at Google Product Search and see what comes up.

But before doing that, look here in the Vendor and Dealer Spotlight forums to see what WF's vendors have available.
have any input on this Jerry? | TeraFlex Suspensions

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I have a Skid Row. covers the oil pan and trans then bolts flush to the crossmember which helps it not get caught as easy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Agreed with armor first, also buy quality parts the first time. Not cheapo's that will need to be replaced in a few years

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
This, then wheel it. You'll find out what should be upgraded first. Then repeat. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.