Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got this jeep its an stroked LS1(out of a corvette):iamhappy: , built ford 9 with 373 gears, dana 40 front, patc Stage 3 Raptor 4l60E tranny with a built HD Np231 Transfer Case, dual fuel pumps(intake & inline), and every mechanical it new.

Mainly I am asking yall if towing 3500 to 4000lbs (trailer, small car, tools, spare parts) id like some thoughts, the farthest id be towing with it is 150miles.

83E2F822-0D1F-46FE-B37B-A2DEB79C051C_4.jpeg

83E2F822-0D1F-46FE-B37B-A2DEB79C051C_6.jpeg

83E2F822-0D1F-46FE-B37B-A2DEB79C051C_9.jpeg

83E2F822-0D1F-46FE-B37B-A2DEB79C051C_7.jpeg

83E2F822-0D1F-46FE-B37B-A2DEB79C051C_30.jpeg
:beerme::beerme::beerme:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Rated tow capacity of a YJ is about 2000 pounds, that is not because it cant pull more it just cant safely stop or control more weight than that due to its light weight, short wheelbase.Towing with a short wheelbase vehicle that weighs the same as what you are towing can be dangerous. Bad things happen in emergency situations.Not to mention legal ramifications if you are involved in an accident.
I wouldnt do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rated tow capacity of a YJ is about 2000 pounds, that is not because it cant pull more it just cant safely stop or control more weight than that due to its light weight, short wheelbase.Towing with a short wheelbase vehicle that weighs the same as what you are towing can be dangerous. Bad things happen in emergency situations.Not to mention legal ramifications if you are involved in an accident.
I wouldnt do it.
What he said X2. The difficulty of a short wheel base cannot be stressed eniough. Also, regardless of the over-all weight of the load, the tongue weight is a huge factor because it will lessen the steering ability if it is too high.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
^^ What they said X10. It's not a tow rig, and if you use it for one, the best you can hope for is to walk away from the crash and hope that no one else got hurt.

Sounds like you want to pull a stock car with it. Sure it has the motor and trans to do it, but it doesn't have the driveability, or adequate hitch to pull it off.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have an enclosed 5x8 utility trailer with a 42" mower a 21" mower an edger and a weedeater in it. I used my Jeep to tow it one day about a 4 mile one way trip. The trailer has about 200 pounds of tounge weight and weighs about 1500 pounds total.MY 2.5 pulled it fine but I had to make an emergency stop because a moron pulled out in front of me let me tell you it is something I dond want to do again. :censored:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I only did it because my wife had my Dakota and it was intown at less than 35 mph.
It pulled and stopped fine but swerving and hard braking was a little un nerving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts