Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok say I invest 38k in mods in my 2005 Jeep that has 30,000 miles on it. Dollar for dollar what is the resale value of those mods worth do you think when I go to sell? I just saw this ad and was floored by the price.

THIS IS A ONE OF A KIND 2005 WRANGLER UNLIMITED WITH A NEW 6.1L 450 HP HEMI..NEW 545 BUILT TRANSMISSION..HIGH PINION DANA 60 AXLES AND THE LIST OF MODIFICATIONS IS INCREDIBLE...I HAVE RECEIPTS FOR OVER $38000.00 IN MODS, NOT INCLUDING THE PRICE OF THE JEEP...ALL PARTS ARE BRAND NEW AND ALL MODIFICATIONS WERE DONE ABOUT SEPTEMBER OF 2010 AND HAVE LESS THAN 3000 MILES ON THEM. ALL MODIFICATIONS WERE DONE PROFESSIONALLY, RUNS LIKE A CHAMP IT IS A BLAST TO DRIVE. WHEN YOU PUT THE PEDALl TO THE METAL HOLD ON TIGHT BECAUSE THAT SUCKER WILL GO!!!! ITS ONE AMAZING RIDE.

Please guess the price :)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
The seller probably wants something crazy like $55K....when the price should be half of that (depending on the mods).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
U suck scuba steve HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man i think the rig is bad ass looking but dunno about a 38k price tag... seemed a bit over the top for an 05.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
$39,000?!?!?

You could buy a brand new, decently loaded Rubi JKU with 4.10's for that price...and have a full warranty on it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just browsing for a Jeep for my buddy and came across the rig, I mean its nice has a new hemi etc. But my feelings are exactly what panthermark says ?!?!? dunno I politely told the dealer he was a bit off the mark on his price, he got really mad LOL. I'd say probably 28-30 price range would be fair.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I was just browsing for a Jeep for my buddy and came across the rig, I mean its nice has a new hemi etc. But my feelings are exactly what panthermark says ?!?!? dunno I politely told the dealer he was a bit off the mark on his price, he got really mad LOL. I'd say probably 28-30 price range would be fair.

I agree. However have you priced a Hemi swap, assuming you can't do one yourself? They are not cheap at all. Understandable why the guy wants so much after he dug so deep in his pockets to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. However have you priced a Hemi swap, assuming you can't do one yourself? They are not cheap at all. Understandable why the guy wants so much after he dug so deep in his pockets to pay for it.
Well like you said he should have dug deep with a JK then YES not for a TJ.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I see used JK's with HEMI upgrade all the time sellers asking 40 to 60K
There was a PSC JKU built for some rocker and listed for sale for 60K
The word investment should not be used when upgrading a car or Jeep maybe money Pit is the correct word
I'm sure your wife has another term for money spent on your Jeep.:banghead:
In this economy I think you're lucky to recoup 1/3 or 1/2 of your upgrade costs no labor

We all upgrade cuz we like Jeeps and like to drive something different than the average guy.

sj

·
Registered
26 Posts
1/10

is probably the value added for all the modifications.

The reality is modified cars rarely get anywhere close to the value put into them. Some exceptions would be if the vehicle was purchased directly from the tuner with all the modifications done in house. Even then the modifications are probably worth less than 1/3.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
$39,000?!?!?

You could buy a brand new, decently loaded Rubi JKU with 4.10's for that price...and have a full warranty on it.
You are kidding right... We are talking a bout a built rig here theat would chew a stock rubi up and spit it out.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
You are kidding right... We are talking a bout a built rig here theat would chew a stock rubi up and spit it out.
A brand new 2013 stock 4 door Rubi would be a pretty capable vehicle.

If you went 2 door Rubi, you would have cash left over for 35's a lift and a few other goodies.
At that point, I'd still take the 2013 (with warranty) over the 2005.

I looked up that Jeep and it is pretty bad ass (Dana 60's), but $39,000 is a lot to ask for a used Jeep. Especially when you can get a pretty damn capable, brand new one for similar money.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"We are talking a bout a built rig here theat would chew a stock rubi up and spit it out. "

....of course, not everybody is looking for that kind of already done-up project.....

I think there's a limited market for such an extreme cost niche market rig.

1) Those with the bux MAYBE willing to look but asking "Why should I rely on what THIS guy put in there, I have the $$$$$ to do what I want"....

2) Those who don't want/don't need/ain't impressed with the efforts;

3) those without the $$$$$ who lust after such ephemera under their dreamland vision of what they think they want but have no way to finance.

The question for all, is WHY would such a project be sold off if it really DID serve some purpose for the owner. Odds are the flash bang exceeds the actual performance/reliability.

40 years ago I would have lusted after it night & day;
30 years ago I would have dreamed of various way such would make my life somehow more exciting;
20 years ago I would have wondered if it really DID run;
10 years ago I would have suspected something serious was wrong they weren't talking about;
Nowadays I'm just plain not interested and would rather have that new stock JK with full warranty and spend the rest on gasoline over the next 15 years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
JeeperJake said:
"We are talking a bout a built rig here theat would chew a stock rubi up and spit it out. "

....of course, not everybody is looking for that kind of already done-up project.....

I think there's a limited market for such an extreme cost niche market rig.

1) Those with the bux MAYBE willing to look but asking "Why should I rely on what THIS guy put in there, I have the $$$$$ to do what I want"....

2) Those who don't want/don't need/ain't impressed with the efforts;

3) those without the $$$$$ who lust after such ephemera under their dreamland vision of what they think they want but have no way to finance.

The question for all, is WHY would such a project be sold off if it really DID serve some purpose for the owner. Odds are the flash bang exceeds the actual performance/reliability.

40 years ago I would have lusted after it night & day;
30 years ago I would have dreamed of various way such would make my life somehow more exciting;
20 years ago I would have wondered if it really DID run;
10 years ago I would have suspected something serious was wrong they weren't talking about;
Nowadays I'm just plain not interested and would rather have that new stock JK with full warranty and spend the rest on gasoline over the next 15 years.
Lol, just right.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I am not saying that jeep is not way overpriced. But I am saying comparing it to a stock rubi is silly. Hell you could buy a Grand Caravan loaded for the same price, but that dosent mean it will be able to do the same things.

JeeperJake;3000238. The question for all said:
you would be suprised at the number of guys who build something get tired of it and sell it off to build something else just to change things up.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts