Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Still slow-leaking the last light mod (the working 6 days a week thing, then 5 days in the hospital, 2 weeks recovering from surgery, and back to working 6 days a week). But I did finally get the mil style data plate (from WF member Robert, at "The Adventure Badge" https://4x4tabs.com/index.html) and it turned out great!
Initially my thought was to get it a little bigger (5" wide instead of the 4" it comes in) to cover the Rugged Ridge cut-out on the front bumper. Unfortunately he couldn't do that (but as it turns out, my previous logo blackout/camouflage mod has worked out well, and I don't even notice it). What he did do, was make me a custom data plate that matches all the wording from the decals I made for my Jeep. I sent him a quick mock-up using his stock plate, and he made it exactly like it.
Just another small detail, but it sure looks cool (and official). Gotta' get some small screws to mount it still, but how long could that possibly take?....
Nice build! This is the cat's pajamas. I may have to give the guy some business. Nice work.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Installed a Mishimoto coolant filter kit to the Mangler today.
Just as a fairly inexpensive ($136 through Q-tec) easy (about 45 minute install) precaution against the "casting-sand in the coolant" issue (since not all JKs seem to have the problem). I figured that since my JKU is still low mileage (a bit over 3350 miles in about 4.5 years....one of the advantages of living/working in a small town where everything is within a couple of miles... plus having 3 vehicles :)) and the fact that it'll be out of warranty long before it hits the mileage where the sand tends to cause issues with the rad/heater core (so barring an unlikely TSB or recall, the cost of the repair will be all out-of-pocket) I figured it's worth a try.
Not sure how effective the filter kit is, with it's bypass, but for the cost I guess it can't hurt. When I do change the filter, I'll cut it open and check for sand/sludge (but at the current rate, it'll be a long time before that happens)
The kit is well made, but it was missing the three M-8 bolts to mount the filter base to the mount (which seems to be a common issue, but I had stainless M-8 bolts on-hand). Install videos are on-line, and the install is pretty easy. After the install, I initially had cold air from the heater, and engine temps got kind of high (most likely some trapped air). But after a couple trips around the 'hood, temps dropped back to normal and the heat was back to broil.
Guess we'll see how things go in the long run.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Hmmm, first post under the new "advertising hostage" mode (give us money or half your screen is covered with adds). Not loving it so far (maybe just my fear of change) so not sure how much I'll be posting here, but I'll give it some time to see.
Any ways, finally installed the second HMMWV blackout dome light in the rear MPS overhead panel. When I first bought the dome light, it was a set of two, so I knew I was gonna' put one in the back (especially after installing the front light, and loving it!)
I won't go into too much detail, since I just did the same thing that I did with the front one. The only real difference is that I wired it directly to the aux power block in the engine bay. I did that so if I'm sleeping in the back, I can turn on the light any time, without the keys in the ignition.
Pic one shows the parts (see, basically the same process as the front one).
Pic two shows it painted and mounted.
Pic three shows the whole thing mounted in my JKU. It's about centered (approximately 16 inches from each) between the stock front and rear dome lights.
Dome Light Rear 1.JPG
Dome Light Rear 3.JPG
Dome Light Rear 2.JPG

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
A few comparison pics between the factory dome lights, and the HMMWV blackout dome lights.
Pic one shows the factory dome lights, with Diode Dynamics LED bulbs installed (which are a big improvement over the stock bulbs). Front, rear, and rear-view mirror lights.
Pic two shows the HMMWV dome lights with LED bulbs front and rear (for the white lights, the blue "blackout lights" are still incandescent. They work great, but are hard to get good pics of).
Pic three shows all the lights on :) .
Dome Light Comparison 3.JPG
Dome Light Comparison 4.JPG
Dome Light Comparison 5.JPG

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Got a Molle Platform Solutions (MPS) fold-down tailgate panel (table). They do custom cutouts (no charge) so I had them match the tailgate decal I made (J3-3P WR/4-N-GL.3R). I also had a plan....so I had them change the design slightly (Alan / MPS was great to work with!). They sell them with screws for the bottom "hinge" points, and quick-release pins on the top (with enlarged holes w/ rubber grommets in them), and para-cord for the support. I had them made for pins top and bottom (without the enlarged holes / grommets) plus an extra set of pins. I'll cover the "why" and "how" in the next post. ;)
Tailgate Table 1.JPG
Tailgate Table 3.JPG

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Now, the "why"....My plan was to make the table quickly and easily reconfigurable between closed, a low table, and a high table.
The "how"....Using pins top and bottom, and making steel supports.
Pic one shows the mount install, which I also tweaked. First, I flipped the DS mount (their standard mount position has both mounts behind the panel) which moved the table over about 1 1/2", giving me more room to remove the pins. Second, the kit comes with four stainless sheet metal screws for mounting. But, me being me, I decided to go with seven rivnuts and stainless 1/4-20 screws (it's what I had on-hand). Used 4 on the DS and three on the PS. All rivnuts, except the middle PS one, go into multiple layers of steel, and it's solid!
Pic two shows the steel supports I made (before paint) out of 1/2" x 1/2" square steel tubing that I had in the garage.
For the shelf end, I put it in the shop press and compressed it. That allows the pins to fully engage (letting the pins' detent ball to pop to the "locked" position). The 1/2" was too thick to allow the pin to lock.
For the mount end, I threw it in the mill and cut out slots, so the mount fits into the slot like a clevis, and the pin locks it together (if the support were only pinned on either side of the mount, the pins are long enough to let the supports "walk" or angle away from the mount. huh? exactly.)
Pic three shows the table finished, in the low position (which is the only position from the manufacturer). Great for carrying supplies, or as a table with the gate open and me sitting in a chair.
Pic four shows it in the high position. Great as a table when kneeling inside the JKU, or from outside with the glass open and the gate closed, or the gate open and me standing.
I'm still working an a permanent solution for stowing the supports inside the table (got some ideas) but for now, some Velcro wrap works fine.
Damn, I just can't leave anything alone....
Tailgate Table 2.JPG
Tailgate Table 8.JPG
Tailgate Table 5.JPG
Tailgate Table 4.JPG

141 - 146 of 146 Posts