Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been driving my Jeep kicking 3 years now. I average about 300 miles a week commuting & venturing off to my favorite fishing holes. However, the DD aspect is beginning to take its toll. I have an option to trade over for a BMW 3 series, or even a Z3. I've done my research & know they have their issues too, but off-road performance has waned & now I find myself dreaming more of on-road performance. Problem is I still love my Jeep & damn if she's tough to even consider letting go. I find myself at a crossroads.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Before my Wrangler, I've always had German cars ('98 Audi A6 and an '03 BMW 325i w/ sport package). While on road performance is a lot of fun, you don't really get to take advantage of it without risking a speeding ticket. I've only had my Jeep for 3 months, but after enjoying it doorless & topless in the summer, and knowing I won't have to worry about getting stuck in the winter, I don't think I'll ever be without a Jeep again. Not to mention the commonly brought up fact that Jeeps can take you places that almost no other vehicle can.

My vote is keep the Jeep or get a newer one if yours is on it's last legs, and get an old toyota sedan to abuse as a commuter. All this being said, I'm still a big fan of BMW's too and even with the expensive maintenance, they're incredible machines- I just like Wranglers better. That's just my take on your situation though, and only you know what would make you happiest.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Bought my jeep for safety only, a car doesn't have a roll cage, front and rear steel bumpers rock rails and many other safety options. Like the tank feeling...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought my Jeep this year as a second vehicle, and hopefully business will stay good so next year I can trade my daily driver Toyota in for a Porsche. Before deciding this I also wrestled with the idea that I needed one car that could be all things, and my conclusion is that there just isn't one.

Frankly, driving the Jeep has suddenly made my little Yaris feel pretty darn quick and nimble - imagine how exciting it would be to drive a car that actually is!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ok I'm sorry. I see that you are a jeeper. And as for beemers. I have nothin against them. My buddy had a turbo inline 6 BMW. It was an 07 or 08. Not sure what model but I agree it sure was fun to drive ..... Fast as hell!!!!!! But I still prefer slow and steady and the go anywhere of the jeep!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, same I'll take my Wrangler over a sports car or any vehicle any day. BMW's are just really good at what they're built for. I've wanted a Jeep since I was 2 though which I believe was the first year Wranglers came out, and now that I have one I'm wondering why the hell I waited until I was 27 to get one.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Haha nice!! I've got old polaroids of me helping my dad paint his cj3a. When I was 3 years old. And other pics of me Siting in the drivers seat with the biggest smile on my face!!! I believe that jeeping is engrained on our system and it's genetic and also an addiction !!

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's awesome that you still have those pictures. As far as there being a Jeeper gene, I'm inclined to believe it haha. When I purchased mine, I had no idea that I was also gaining a hobby with a club membership.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I lost a YJ in a divorce about 15 years ago. Hated loosing it, about 12 years ago I found a "deal" on a 79 CJ5 daily drove it while restoring it. Ended up with a job that I needed better gas milage for and sold it. I had been without a Jeep for about 5 years and my wife grew tired of me going "man, look at that Jeep" everytime we passed one and we found a deal on our TJ.

moral to the story find a way to get both.

now I have a 12 MPG TJ as a daily driving trail rig, and a 2006 TRD Tacoma (20 MPG) for the "long trips" wife has a CRV and we could not be happier....

oh yea, the Charger does not count as the state makes those payments, and pays for the gas... (LOL)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've never met anyone who has been happy that gave up their Jeep... They usually turn into "that guy" that says, "I miss my Jeep."

Just something to think about. ;)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I lost a YJ in a divorce about 15 years ago. Hated loosing it, about 12 years ago I found a "deal" on a 79 CJ5 daily drove it while restoring it. Ended up with a job that I needed better gas milage for and sold it. I had been without a Jeep for about 5 years and my wife grew tired of me going "man, look at that Jeep" everytime we passed one and we found a deal on our TJ.

moral to the story find a way to get both.

now I have a 12 MPG TJ as a daily driving trail rig, and a 2006 TRD Tacoma (20 MPG) for the "long trips" wife has a CRV and we could not be happier....

oh yea, the Charger does not count as the state makes those payments, and pays for the gas... (LOL)

Haha, those Charges have grown on me. A local trooper had one and it reminded me of Mad Max's car :cool:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I purchased mine for the comfort, smoothness, low maintainance, speed, and great gas mileage !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Had a stupid attack and traded my 1999 wrangler tj for a tahoe in 2005. October 2012 traded wife's taurus in for a 2005 Willy's edition tj. Once you have owned a jeep every other vehicle sucks. I have even driven my buddy's porsche 911 turbo and would rather have my jeep.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I lost a YJ in a divorce about 15 years ..<<snip>> ... moral to the story find a way to get both. now I have a 12 MPG TJ as a daily driving trail rig, and a 2006 TRD Tacoma (20 MPG) for the "long trips" wife has a CRV and we could not be happier.... oh yea, the Charger does not count as the state makes those payments, and pays for the gas... (LOL)
X2

I bought my first jeep in 1977. I'm now on my 6th, a 2005 TJ. I've regretted every sale/trade, every time, usually within six months. I think I've finally learned my lesson: I plan to keep this one until I can't use it anymore... I love BMW cars, but you have to worry about them, people make judgments about you when you drive one, they're expensive to repair, you can't drive the on the beach, and they're aa LOT less fun in the summer. Jeeps are like road-legal golf carts... Fun with a capital F.

The state makes the payments on my charger too. Love it. Way better than the Crown Vic! The charger goes like a scalded ape, handles like its on rails, and it's been extremely durable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have always done fast cars, but now doing my TJ as my daily driver. Even my wife has said that I seem to love the jeep. I am going to add something fast, but probably another TJ as well. I would keep the jeep, it's not like they cost a lot to keep on the road, feed, and modify. I won't be the guy who whines every time I see a jeep because I sold mine.

No charger but the fed pays for my Tahoe. Motor pool guy is cool, so I did get big tires, etc. Almost as cool as my jeep but with A/C. Can't pass too many gas stations in that either.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thread revival huh? Well it's been about 2 years since I posted this & I still have the Jeep. I've passed on a few trade & cash offers since then, but never was able to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
181 Posts
X2

I bought my first jeep in 1977. I'm now on my 6th, a 2005 TJ. I've regretted every sale/trade, every time, usually within six months. I think I've finally learned my lesson: I plan to keep this one until I can't use it anymore... I love BMW cars, but you have to worry about them, people make judgments about you when you drive one, they're expensive to repair, you can't drive the on the beach, and they're aa LOT less fun in the summer. Jeeps are like road-legal golf carts... Fun with a capital F.

The state makes the payments on my charger too. Love it. Way better than the Crown Vic! The charger goes like a scalded ape, handles like its on rails, and it's been extremely durable.
Scalded Ape? lol!

I have the best of all worlds - the wife is happy with her paid-off Infiniti, the company pays for my SUV (and gas), and I have my LJ for evening and weekend fun. Sometimes I leave the company car in the driveway and drive the Jeep to work just cuz!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts