Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all, I am having a toss up about suspension . I am looking at rubicon express 3.5 standard lift or pro comp 4'' lift with es3000 shocks. RE offers a twin tube or mono tube, pro comp only offers twin tube . I plan on doing medium off roading . Wondering what the differences are between the two options . I am assuming the single or mono tube would be for very heavy weight more extreme off-roading. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was looking at a lift kit and ordered then it was suggested that I do some research. The kit had a dropped pitman arm and an odd track bar. I did some research and ended up going with a Metal Cloak 3.5 short arm kit. After all the reading and installing the kit I'm happy with it. I wanted something that would work good off-road and not be a death trap on road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
personally sick of reading half answers and guessing on this forum ,if you post please address the original post. Most responses have a half an answer or detour from original post.If you have suggestions or recommendations, that would be welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
what are your goals? what type of terrain do you want to wheel in? what is your budget? what is the max wheel size you plan on running?

to your original question, generally mono>twin, but there are a million variables which is where a well thought out plan comes into play, like almost everything that is on a jeep. which is why you will get "half answers" you need to fill in the details

·
Registered
387 Posts
personally sick of reading half answers and guessing on this forum ,if you post please address the original post. Most responses have a half an answer or detour from original post.If you have suggestions or recommendations, that would be welcomed.
Ironhead Jed and some other suggested I research some things I was looking to purchase. They did not trash the companies they just suggested I read up on them and I'm glad they did. It forced me to learn more about my Jeep, study diagrams about steering geometry and do some footwork on my own. I learned so much that I did not make a mistake and buy CRAP products that would cause bump steer, ride rough or fail quickly. It also educated me on the components now that when I need help I know what to ask and understand the response. I'm sorry you did not get the exact answer you wanted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Goals medium terrain .... As stated in the post. Wheel size 31's . I am wheeling in ny pa nj oh. Typical terrain rocks hills mud .... Budget is about 1k give or take I am willing to save for better ,but OLd man emu is running about 1100 where the other options are running 700 give or take No one responded to the answer between mono or twin .

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
Generally, the monotubes are better shocks...and they resist fading better by design....as they dissipate heat better. but every company is different and every ones needs are different.

zone and bds are two quality companies, owned by the same parent company, that make very solid lifts at the price point you have stated.

31s may look a bit goofy with 4" of lift and that lift height usually means adding a drop transfer case, which negates the point of lifting it as it lowers your biggest hang up spot. thats a reason many people stick to a 2-3" lift and add a small body lift, which is why the zone 4.25" combo lift is such a popular kit

·
Registered
387 Posts
Goals medium terrain .... As stated in the post. Wheel size 31's . I am wheeling in ny pa nj oh. Typical terrain rocks hills mud .... Budget is about 1k give or take I am willing to save for better ,but OLd man emu is running about 1100 where the other options are running 700 give or take No one responded to the answer between mono or twin .
I have OME Nitrochargers but they are a higher end twin tube shock designed for that use. On those cheaper shocks I would go with a monotube design.

Selecting Shocks

I would look for a deal on an OME kit as I think you would like it more. I would save a few more bucks and buy this. A few of my buddies run the OME kits. This kits has everything you will need to get started. The other kits you are looking at your going to need and adjustable track bar for them.

Old Man Emu Ultimate TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit | dpgoffroad.com

I'm not expert and Im still learning.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Hi again all, I am having a toss up about suspension . I am looking at rubicon express 3.5 standard lift or pro comp 4'' lift with es3000 shocks. RE offers a twin tube or mono tube, pro comp only offers twin tube . I plan on doing medium off roading . Wondering what the differences are between the two options . I am assuming the single or mono tube would be for very heavy weight more extreme off-roading. Any help would be appreciated.
Question: Are you loading down your Jeep with lots of gear, have a heavy bumper mounted tire carrier, run with a hard top, and a heavy winch up front? I briefly ran the ES3000 shocks on my Pro-Comp lift, but had to pull the shocks due to them being valved too heavily. Reducing rear tire pressure did nothing to reduce the jolts making the ride in my new at the time Rubicon literally unbearable. I went with MX-6 shocks valved for a soft top, and this was on my Jeep with 33" tires. As for Jeeping, I do light to medium trails. I have run some black diamond trails with my Jeep loaded down with gear as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Often, there is no cut and dried answer to such an open question. That's why you often get half answers. Depending upon your intended use, the answer might change. As you gain experience with the Jeep, and any mods you attempt, you will begin to get a grasp on what information the experts will need in order to help you with suggestions. Much like the question: "Which is the best lift", or "which is the best tire", you'll either get A) snarky answers, B) certain advice from people who don't have much experience, or C) someone will take the time to post a six page education tailored for your needs on all the options and why each might be the best choice in all possible scenarios.

Don't count on "C". Help them out a bit with pertinent information on how you intend to use the Jeep, whether you daily drive it, what terrain you expect to encounter, whether you have budget constraints, and what you have already done to the Jeep. Your experience level with home mechanics is sometimes helpful to point out as well, as some mods are far easier than others. And finally, make sure there isn't already a thread two notches below yours in the forum that already covers the very same information. With some specifics, there are very experienced people on this forum who are quite helpful when the question is clear and specific.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts