Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post up people! Say anything related to Jeeps, Montana, Fishing, Hunting. Whatever comes to mind...This is one the few threads Ive ever started so do something people. Me, my house is in Lolo, work in Missoula as a Master certified Tech at the Benz dealer, rebuilt transmissions before that for 9 years built over 3000 units too. Always loved Jeeps over 8 CJ's and wranglers thru my family so far. Ive built several up. Including a mint restore of a CJ5 for my father. Im the typical Montana guy I suppose. Love guns, reloading ammo, hunting, fishing, and using my Jon boat on the lakes... So if anybody ventures into this thread speak your mind! Even the JK people! Easy...only a Joke:lmao:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, tore the rear 6" off the right rear steel brake line on the JK Sunday near Blue Lake at the end of the Main Boulder Road south of Big Timber. Think the tire caught it when I got twisted up a bit. Totally stupid design with the tubing running on the outside of the frame rails. Going to weld up some bolt on covers for them so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Removed the exhaust manifold last night, three separate cracks, getting ready to install new one here in a bit. Have the 2.5 and from the looks of what I've seen it looks much easier than the 4.0

79*........perfect Montana day

Have a good one

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to see some Montana people posting up. Get those rigs fixed guys!

I bought the Hard top hoist kit and haven't installed it yet. Ill put it together this weekend. My TJ is my first hardtop Jeep. All others were softtop. Sucks having to round up a buddy of enough size to lift the hardtop on and off. The GF is not strong enough to do it.

Took my Jeep up the Blue Mountain Jeep trail a few weeks ago. That trail is easy tho. And have had my Jon boat out on Como. My TJ pulls my boat great.

Other Montana People post up. We need to be like the other cool kids...Drink the kool-aid guys.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
hello....helloo... hellooo lol. one week and counting down until hitting the Rubicon trail.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It was a sad day, had to sell my TJ, a little bit of a pocket crunch and the jeep still needed a few things. Someday I'll get another.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my hardtop hoist up. Works pretty good. Have to go slow and be careful. But one guy can take the hardtop off in about 15 mins.

ForumRunner_20150818_121210.jpg

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a sad day, had to sell my TJ, a little bit of a pocket crunch and the jeep still needed a few things. Someday I'll get another.
That is sad news. You will rejoin the dark side again tho im sure. The Jeep darkside.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hit North Meadow (Tobacco Roots) yesterday and today. Great trip and didn't see another person for 2 days. Will post a few trail pics when I get time. Don't think I damaged anything but will give it a power wash tomorrow and run it up on the ramps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Post up pics when you get a chance duffer.
I put them in the trail pics section
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f24/more-tobacco-root-mountains-north-meadow-pics-1411106.html

On other topics, we took the JK in to the local dealer Wednesday because it had developed the nasty but apparently popular NSG370 habit of popping out of gear, sometimes at rather un-opportunistic times. Thursday the assistant service manager call and tells me the clutch needs replaced and that is what is causing the transmission problem. Say again????? Well, she does a great job at her position and was just passing on what the Service Manager told her. I had a somewhat heated conversation with the SM. Needless to say, he couldn't give me an answer on how or why and, in the conversation, it was noted the transmission was still in the Jeep. So how exactly did he determine the clutch was shot? Perhaps Superman with his X-ray vision is one of the techs----

A simple case of attempted fraud for a couple of grand. He should probably screen his next victim a bit closer, perhaps a soccer mom that doesn't have a clue what she's driving. Definitely not some elderly guy who has been working on Jeeps for 60 years. I'm certainly not done with the guy. He should be looking for another job. In the end, the shifter mechanism is being replaced under warranty-what should have happened from the get-go.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like a good time by your pics there duffer. Glad to hear you straigthend the Jeep dealer out.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This thread sure is quiet. Celebrated the "Topless Day" with the Montana Jeep Adventures crew Saturday with a cruise thru town and then a ride up Blue Mountain. This was my 1st real off road run and if it's considered an "easy" trail as per MTJeepTJ, I sure have a lot to learn prior to tackling anything that might be considered hard. It sure was fun though. Just ordered a Viair portable compressor so I'll be able to air down, I felt like a sock in a dryer bouncing around with fully aired-up tires, haha. Something doesn't work right with my 4lo too. Hope to do this again real soon.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
This thread sure is quiet. Celebrated the "Topless Day" with the Montana Jeep Adventures crew Saturday with a cruise thru town and then a ride up Blue Mountain. This was my 1st real off road run and if it's considered an "easy" trail as per MTJeepTJ, I sure have a lot to learn prior to tackling anything that might be considered hard. It sure was fun though. Just ordered a Viair portable compressor so I'll be able to air down, I felt like a sock in a dryer bouncing around with fully aired-up tires, haha. Something doesn't work right with my 4lo too. Hope to do this again real soon.
I'll give you a heads up next time I go. hopefully you have checked out montanabackroads jeep club.

what is your 4lo not doing?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks jadmt, It goes into 4lo easily enough but as soon as you give it the slightest throttle it tacks up to 3000+rpms and makes this high pitched whining sound, I thought it was going to blow up. Almost sounds like a turbine, somethings spinning but not engaging. Other than fire roads this has been pretty much a mall crawler so this was the 1st time trying 4lo so I don't know what's normal. I know my truck doesn't act like this in 4lo. Luckily I didn't need it on the Blue Mountain run but I wanted to try it out for experimentation and I'm glad I discovered there's a problem now instead of later. I think the Montanabackroads Club were the ones leading the ride up Blue Mountain, at least I think I remember seeing a decal on the back of an Orange crush 2dr with a hardtop at the Trough, everybody kinda got mixed together, the MJA people and the 4x4 club people. I didn't know who was who as it was my 1st time/event and everyone was real nice and helpful towards a know nothing newbie. Met a real nice old dude, like me, named Buster with a lifted yellow JK 3.8 with a Ripp SC but I don't remember which group he's in. It was fun.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Thanks jadmt, It goes into 4lo easily enough but as soon as you give it the slightest throttle it tacks up to 3000+rpms and makes this high pitched whining sound, I thought it was going to blow up. Almost sounds like a turbine, somethings spinning but not engaging. Other than fire roads this has been pretty much a mall crawler so this was the 1st time trying 4lo so I don't know what's normal. I know my truck doesn't act like this in 4lo. Luckily I didn't need it on the Blue Mountain run but I wanted to try it out for experimentation and I'm glad I discovered there's a problem now instead of later. I think the Montanabackroads Club were the ones leading the ride up Blue Mountain, at least I think I remember seeing a decal on the back of an Orange crush 2dr with a hardtop at the Trough, everybody kinda got mixed together, the MJA people and the 4x4 club people. I didn't know who was who as it was my 1st time/event and everyone was real nice and helpful towards a know nothing newbie. Met a real nice old dude, like me, named Buster with a lifted yellow JK 3.8 with a Ripp SC but I don't remember which group he's in. It was fun.
sounds normal :) the orange jeep is willie and great guy president of the club and all around book of knowledge. I met Buster at the last meeting. I think of my self as middle age 57 LOL. Meetings are once a month at Perkins and good way to meet some of the people and meetings and a few trips are required before actually being in the club.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the help, this is good news. I've looked at their Facebook site and see it's a closed group. So you can go to the meetings as a non-member and introduce yourself, or do you have to request permission to be invited to participate in a group event/run and if you don't crash into anyone or can't keep up they'll invite you into the group and then you show up for monthly meetings? Trying to clarify what comes 1st, the chicken or the egg?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
the facebook is closed you just request to join and they will let you I think they are just trying to keep spammers out. the meetings are open to anyone no invite needed but hey I invited you lol. basically they want to make sure you are not a danger to yourself or others before they let you join so they like you to go on some outings to make sure. there are fast jeepers and slow jeepers makes no difference. People are happy to wait. they like to make sure you have a rig that wont break down as well. break downs happen but if someone is breaking down more than driving that is not good for everybody else.

the june meeting is at J&K customs and he has the rti ramp so that is fun and a guy is going to tune cb antennas and explain the benefits of a 2M radio.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts