Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

5221 - 5240 of 5272 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
NO CAM BOLTS!!!

My dealer still installed them after I told them not to.

·
Registered
2017 JKUS
210 Posts
Did you get new control arms and front trackbar too?
Not yet but I plan on doing it eventually. This is my first lift so I just want to get a feel for it stock before I start upgrading it, that way I can know whether I’m actually improving the thing or just spending money on shiny new parts, not that I’m opposed to doing that. lol

·
Registered
2017 JKUS
210 Posts
After waiting for months for the lift to come in, things kind of came together pretty quickly at the end so I never took fender measurements before the lift. I know, I suck...

Here is the before when I first got it, things settled a bit and I had about 90k miles on it when it went in for the lift.

And the after with the 33” tires on stock Sahara wheels.

I am very happy with how it turned out and the Jeep rides like new. To non Jeep people it will look like a stock Wrangler but I actually have to climb into the thing now, love it!!

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Looks like stock with different ends put on it..

@Lou E Jeeps looks good.

Reactions: Lou E

·
Registered
2017 JKUS
210 Posts
Nice.What front bumper is that?

It’s the stock bumper with the VDP end caps. I really like how it looks but will replace with a metal full width at some point, as soon as I find one that looks close to what I have now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know the extended and compressed lengths of the Fox shocks in this kit? I have read that this kit does not flex very well compared to other lifts due to shock travel. I am trying to figure out if I should go this route or something else.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Does anyone know the extended and compressed lengths of the Fox shocks in this kit? I have read that this kit does not flex very well compared to other lifts due to shock travel. I am trying to figure out if I should go this route or something else.
I don't have the measurements handy but they are listed on the box as 0-2" shocks. My 2 dr saw 4" front and 3" rear with the mopar springs and the Fox shocks worked fine, a good combo for the Mopar springs, but I would say they're on the shorter side if you're looking for maximum droop. I suppose it depends what you're looking for, whether max droop is important. I'm running much longer Rocksports now and still wave a front tire when climbing over rocks, not because the Rocksports lack travel, but because I don't disconnect my front sway bar end links. The foxes definitely allow the JK to corner much flatter so it's better through the curves. The Rocksports are much softer an allow a lot of body roll but they soak up bumps/imperfections much better. I'm in Culpeper county and selling my set of Mopar Foxes with 1500 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't have the measurements handy but they are listed on the box as 0-2" shocks. My 2 dr saw 4" front and 3" rear with the mopar springs and the Fox shocks worked fine, a good combo for the Mopar springs, but I would say they're on the shorter side if you're looking for maximum droop. I suppose it depends what you're looking for, whether max droop is important. I'm running much longer Rocksports now and still wave a front tire when climbing over rocks, not because the Rocksports lack travel, but because I don't disconnect my front sway bar end links. The foxes definitely allow the JK to corner much flatter so it's better through the curves. The Rocksports are much softer an allow a lot of body roll but they soak up bumps/imperfections much better. I'm in Culpeper county and selling my set of Mopar Foxes with 1500 miles.
Thanks. I'm looking for as much travel as I can within a reasonable budget so I may try shock extensions with this kit.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Some have suggested that shock extensions might be a good option to gain some more down travel. Interested to hear your results if you go that route. If you're not sold on the Foxes, the Rocksports by Metalcloak are ~$400, have a lot of travel, and are offered in a long travel version. Again, ride characteristics will be very different than the Foxes. You might also consider buying the springs Mopar separately ~$200 and then the longer 1.5-3.5" (?) Foxes.

·
Hye Climber in Chief
268 Posts
How much additional droop can the driveshafts take? I'm guessing the 2" lift kit is already approaching its limits.

·
Super Moderator
23,666 Posts
How much additional droop can the driveshafts take? I'm guessing the 2" lift kit is already approaching its limits.
mopar 2" lift comes with new front driveshaft.

·
Super Moderator
6,199 Posts
It does. However, I'm not sure if it is longer. I know it's thinner to clear the exhaust piping. Besides, where does that leave the rear?
The new drive shaft is more about being smaller in diameter to better clear the exhaust crossover and using a double cardan joint on the one end with a standard U joint on the other vs the stocker with the rezeppa joints that don't allow as much angle. It also eliminates the rubber boot that covers the slip fit aspect of the stock drive shaft. That is what allows the shaft to get longer or shorter as the suspension travels. The new front shaft uses a different set up for that in a different part of the shaft and no rubber gator to melt when it touches the exhaust.
The rear stock drive shaft is much longer than the front drive shaft, so it is less affected by lifting. Either way, adding 2" of droop to the suspension isn't likely to cause an issue with the drive shafts except for possible clearance issues with the front shaft and exhaust crossover.
If you use shock extensions with the Fox shocks included with the lift you would need to flex the suspension without springs to make sure the shocks did not bottom before the bump stops halted suspension up travel. I would be surprised if you could add 2" extensions to the shocks and not have to add additional bump stop extensions. If you want to try, I would definitely cycle the suspension to make sure the shocks don't become what stops suspension up travel.
While I like the MetalCloak Rocksport shocks (they are much the same as the OME yellow shocks) I did not like a shock that soft with the fairly soft Mopar 2" springs. Soft shocks and soft springs don't work that well in my experience.

·
Registered
564 Posts
About to change tires and was wondering if anybody is running 37s with this kit?
If so, what backspacing do your wheels have and do they rub?
I’m currently running 315/70r17 on Method 305 NVs with 0 offset and 4.5 and they rub a little on my ACE inner fenders at full stuff/full turn, so will either have to ditch the inner fenders, get new wheels or wheel spacers.
In addition to the 2” Mopar lift I have 1” spacers for leveling up front.

5221 - 5240 of 5272 Posts