Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently added Mopar 2" lift on top of Duratrac 285/70/17s. Not capable of doing this myself, so at a shop. Now that it's in, I feel like maybe it's a little more lift than I needed. My off-roading is relatively softcore - mostly muddy trails and beaching, no hardcore rock climbing etc. And when highway driving, it feels a little less stable than I'd like it (maybe that's just the newness, and I'll get used to it, but still). Originally wanted to preserve the ability to go up to 35s in the future if wanted, but as of now I'm pretty happy with how it feels at 33s. And the "gap" above the wheels to the fenders seems more than needed.

So my question is, how "adjustable" are these lifts after the fact? Is there something that could be done that would make it feel more "stable"? Like for instance, tuning the height down a little lower? Other things? How substantial of a project would any of these options be?

Wanted to get informed before I call the shop and they start telling me how costly it will be...

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's a nice lift and looks great. It will also settle some and if you add accessories it'll bring it down a bit. You will also get accustomed to it then want more lift!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
First off I think it looks good. I would let it settle a little and see if the lift settles in some. The next thing I would do is get a set of control arm drop brackets and add them to the lift. That will help with handling and make it feel more stable.

You probably did get more lift than advertised due to you being light (no bumpers, winch, rockers, etc.) Most lifts account for added weight so the 2" is likely for a fully loaded jeep.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Drop the air pressure in the tires to about 28 psi. That will help the flighty feel. If still have some get some Rancho lower control arm correction brackets. 120$ and an hour to put on.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Looks perfect. Assume you had it aligned?

·
Registered
451 Posts
No tech input from my side, but those wheels looks nice :)
On your pic btw I was in doubt whether it was Firecracker or Sunset Orange, then checked the colour in your profile and you stated it's a flame-red...you sure lol? Doesn't look like it but could be the pic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off I think it looks good. I would let it settle a little and see if the lift settles in some. The next thing I would do is get a set of control arm drop brackets and add them to the lift. That will help with handling and make it feel more stable. You probably did get more lift than advertised due to you being light (no bumpers, winch, rockers, etc.) Most lifts account for added weight so the 2" is likely for a fully loaded jeep.
Good to know these things settle. Hadn't read or otherwise heard about that. And you're correct - no heavy bumpers, winch, etc. Some chance may do bumper(s) at some point, but unlikely will feel the need for a winch given offroad use. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drop the air pressure in the tires to about 28 psi. That will help the flighty feel. If still have some get some Rancho lower control arm correction brackets. 120$ and an hour to put on.
Thanks for the tip about control arms. Will look into that as it settles. And fortunately sounds not too pricey!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No tech input from my side, but those wheels looks nice :) On your pic btw I was in doubt whether it was Firecracker or Sunset Orange, then checked the colour in your profile and you stated it's a flame-red...you sure lol? Doesn't look like it but could be the pic.
Thanks! Liked the combo of the black AEV Savegre wheels with the Duratrac tires.

Definitely flame red. 2014 didn't have firecracker or sunset orange, I think. Must be the light in the early morning pic.

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
I keep reading that Mopar lifts net you a higher stance than advertised. I am planning on doing it to mine.

I agree: it looks great!

Aldo

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think it looks good. I might be a bit biased as I have the same wheels and tires.

As others have said already, control arm brackets and lower tire air pressure will help.

Can you measure the distance from the top of the tires to the bottom of the front and rear fender flares?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
As mentioned all lifts settle down slight after a few weeks or a good workout off road. Maybe you prefer the stuffed tire look but your lift is perfectly proportional to tires. Unlike sports cars where you try to cram the biggest widest tire that will fit, on Jeeps the wheels need room to work offroad.

BTW, an adjustable height suspension/lift kit is the dream of many. They exist but they are expensive and complex :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can you measure the distance from the top of the tires to the bottom of the front and rear fender flares?
Good thought. Wish I'd measured before to compare! But I suppose I can just compare to any stock which ought to all be the same. Will post when I've measured.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If Kjeeper comes back in maybe he can post the pic showing the height measured in between the spring seats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts