Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if any folks have any input or experience between the OME and Mopar 2" suspension. I am hoping to upgrade my 2012 Sahara - I have heard from some folks that that OME can tend to run tall, but was not sure if that was the standard -OR- Heavy duty version.

My hope is to get added clearance from my 285x71x16's and better overall ground clearance... however, I want this without destroying the on road manners enjoyed as a DD.

Thus, I have no interest in budget boost's or any other ultra stiff suspension. Anybody have some info or photo's to share?

thanks much~

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
For the $$, and in terms of quality, the OME kills the Mopar, IMO. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Budget boosts aren't "ultra stiff." They're just pucks that sit on top of the factory coils. If you pair that with shock extensions, I'd expect budget boosts leave the factory ride basically unchanged.

There are zillions of lift choices out there. Mopar is fine I suppose, but it's generally going to be very expensive--for the same money, you could typically get a better lift going with another brand.

I think you need to decide if you want a budget boost or a coil lift. If I was looking at lifts again, I'd stick with a coil lift and consider TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, Full Traction, Clayton, AEV, Old Man Emu, etc.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I will second KBB's view- the OMEs kill the Mopar. The dealer's tech lead told me that currently, that one is made by Rubicon Express. I'd go OME all day long.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know about the OME lift but was going to put on the mopar some time back. After talking back and fourth with a couple of people on here, decided to go with the Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel kit. As far as I am concerned, the ride I have now, hands down is better than the factory. Took a small 400 mile round trip yesterday to get a couple of things done and the ride is impressive. Felt solid, not bouncy and did not have the same lean that it had before when going around curves. Rode between 75-85mph for most of the trip. When I bought the jeep a couple of months back, I drove it back from Austin which is 200 miles to the house. I couldn't wait to get out of it. This time, there and back, no problems what so ever. Could of ridden on a lot further. Anyways, get a good lift and you shouldn't have to worry about on road manners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys - I know a lot of folks have strong feelings about one brand or another, and greatly appreciate the input. Have had Pro-comp and tereflex coils on TJ's as well as pucks on my 98 TJ and 2001 Tacoma. I just found it to be stiff as can be in both instances.

I have and old CJ that is more of a toy - so keeping as much of a factory set of road manners is key for me. Not looking to skimp on the suspension or go beyond a 2" set of coils.

I am not familiar with the Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel kit - but will give it a look. I have always heard rave reviews of the OME kit, but had grown concerned reading that it rode high.

The interest in the mopar kit was the hope that being a factory upgrade it would potentially include more vehicle specific engineering. (dont have anything to base this on - was just a hunch) Further, my dealer suggested that being mopar it would be covered by my warranty.

Regardless - thanks for the feedback - any photos of these or other comparable installations would be great!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
pixelmarc said:
The interest in the mopar kit was the hope that being a factory upgrade it would potentially include more vehicle specific engineering. (dont have anything to base this on - was just a hunch) Further, my dealer suggested that being mopar it would be covered by my warranty.
False on both counts. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have always heard rave reviews of the OME kit, but had grown concerned reading that it rode high.
Pretty sure OME has a variety of spring strengths you can substitute in their kits. Might wanna go a little lighter to keep on-road manners and reduce the "extra" you'd end up with most 2.5" lifts.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
pixelmarc said:

Regardless - thanks for the feedback - any photos of these or other comparable installations would be great!
A Mopar lift is not a "factory" lift. Any Wrangler that is purchased new with a lift did not leave the factory that way. It was installed by the dealer. Mopar does not manufacture lift kits. It is simply re-branded and marked up as are most Mopar accessories. It is not supported in any way by Chrysler's warranty.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I ran the OME HD lift for about 3 years and loved it. I recently upgraded to the OME long travel kit from Northridge and cannot belive how well it flexes while still riding like a car on the highway.

Nice thing about the standard kit is you can always upgrade to the long travel kit later on without changing out your springs. makes the install fast and simple. Mine took less than 2 hours at home with basic hand tools.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not suggesting that the mopar suspension "Is" factory. However, at my dealer - they indicated that they would continue to cover the 2" mopar kit - where as they would not for the 4" should they install at the dealership.

Again, not a novice at altering a suspension or unaware of the horror stories that have come up over the years - OR - various dealers unwillingness to cover once altered. If I thought it were the best option, I am willing to take the risk / word of the folks I have spoken to - yet - aware of the pitfalls.

Ideally, I am still hoping to make a choice based on the best one for my needs over all else. The OME continues to lead in this account for me. Any folks have any photos that illustrate the end stance of both the HD and soft spring version? I am curious to see if there is a notable difference in end left / ride height.

thanks again.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I am not suggesting that the mopar suspension "Is" factory. However, at my dealer - they indicated that they would continue to cover the 2" mopar kit - where as they would not for the 4" should they install at the dealership.
Right, but--just to be clear--your DEALER, not Chrysler, would warranty the lift install and lift components.

That is of course true for any reputable 4x4 shop as well. They will warranty the lift install and lift components. They'll also usually be much less expensive.

So while there's often a bit of gamesmanship and luck that goes into warranty coverage for certain issues, it's worth making clear that there is no warranty benefit to a Mopar lift versus any other brand from a legal standpoint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts