Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone clear it for me about JK Mopar OEM axles? I’m seeing that different housing is listed for different gears. I thought all housings are the same ( except Rubicon?) just different gears? Also, what other models that you can install front axle without modifications on JK ? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,093 Posts
Most Jeeps came with one of three assemblies. Dana 30, Dana 35, and Dana 44. The 44s are factory on the Rubicons. The 30 and 35 housings can only go so far in gearing. The gears can be changed by swapping the ring and pinyon or (the more expensive way) swapping the carrier. As far as I know, if you get a housing from a JK it should bolt right up, but I could be wrong on that. Here’s an easy way to know what you have:
Photograph White Light Black Font

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
I believe all JKs from 2007 to 2018 had Dana 44 rear differentials. For most it was open, the limited slip was an option and the Rubicons had F&R lockers.

Reactions: Aloha2017JK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys, great info. I’m sure I have Dana 30 upfront, but good to know that early JK had different different axles. Unless I’m looking wrong rock auto list two different housings ( not assembled) for Dana 30 for different gears that’s why I’m getting confused

·
The Bad Guy
23,299 Posts
I believe when you buy a mopar housing, it comes with gears already setup in it. That explains the different PNs. Rubicon housings are also different from non-Rubis. Some early JKs (07-08) had a dana 35 in the rear.
Only a very few 07. None in 08.

Reactions: Aloha2017JK

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
Hi,

Also 3.73's and 4.10's were offered in Rubicon axles (JK) so hence 2 part numbers

Regards,
Jim
Rubicon stock with the auto was the 3.73 with 4.10s an option. Stock with the manual was the 4.10, no options. Lockers F&R in both.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Will rubicon axles on 2017 Sahara be too much work and fabrication? I understand it’s not direct bolt on, right?
It will be a direct bolt on. Just need to make sure the ratios are same front and rear. The lockers will need to be wired up bur there should be plenty of guides on how to do that

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you are asking if you can install current generation 2018+ JL axles on your 2017 JK, then probably not direct bolt on, no. The JL will have different mounting points for things. You can put any JK axle under yours as the points will match up, you just need to make sure that you match the gear ratio of your existing axle or buy a matched pair that you know have matching ratios. And if you buy Rubicon axles, you will need to manually wire up the lockers if you want to make that work.

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,093 Posts
If you can find a set of MATCHING RATIO axles from a JK you can bolt them right up to another JK as far as I know. If they don’t have a matching gear ratio you risk major damage.

·
Super Moderator
8,693 Posts
As mentioned, axles from any JK will bolt up to any other JK. You just want to make sure gear ratio's match. Axles from a JL will not bolt right up to a JK and actually require a fair amount of fabrication as I understand it to fit.
But you can bolt up a D30 from a JK or a D44 from a Rubicon JK to replace the stock D30 in your JK. No modifications required.

·
Super Moderator
8,693 Posts
Don't see it mentioned, so if you go from a d30 front to a d44, I am 99% certain you need a new front driveshaft as well. Fairly certain at least.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Nope. When we upgraded to a D44 from a Rubicon in our Sahara we used the stock drive shaft. And the Rubicon front drive shaft is the same as the Sport/Sahara front drive shaft, at least in the aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
JL Rubicon axles are 2" wider than the other JL axles, which may mean they are 2" wider than the JK Rubicon axles. The extra width is so the JL Rubicon can fit 35s with the standard JL wheels without a spacer. (They could have designed wheels with 5" of back space vs the 6" and accomplished the same thing, but then the ability to fit wider tires would also be transferred to the Sahara and Sport lines as well. But aftermarket wheels do it). The other feature of the JL Rubicon that allows 35s is the higher fenders on the Rubicon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts