Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What? MOPAR big brake kit? Where?

Hi
I'm looking for a MOPAR big brake kit p5160051ac for a
2017 jku (4dr) rubicon with hutchinson beadlocks & 37" mickey thompson baja mtz (heavy wheels) steel bumpers, winch, carriers etc.
But it seems it's on back order anywhere, any idea where i can find one?
If it's not source able,
I can accept other bbk good options because i can easily get separately the mopar performance master cylinder and brake booster kit p5160050
So bleeding the system & a one time installation is not an issue.
In this case, any better idea than teraflex front & rear?
Plain or sloted? Why?
Thank you in advance,
Rafi

·
Registered
111 Posts
As I understand it, the Mopar BBK for JKs was discontinued. If you want to piece it together yourself, here's a list of all of the Mopar part numbers in the BBK.

I don't have any direct experience with any of the brake upgrade kits (yet) so I'll let someone else chime in on their preferences.

-m

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
I ran the TF front and rear kit for 2 years with 35s. Worked well and no issues. I’ve read that people on this forum also say good things about the Dynatrac kit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm currently running the Teraflex big rotor kit front and rear.

Paired them with EBC green stuff pads.

Big improvement over stock. I'm very pleased with them.

No need to upgrade the MC on 2012 and up JK's.

Here's a comparison of the new TF rotor vs. OEM, and of how they look behind a 17" wheel.

·
Registered
726 Posts

Great info here.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
You’re going to get varied opinions on whether the Mopar booster and m/c are needed. The short answer is no. I ran the TF kit for almost 2 years without it on my 2014 JKU. I just didn’t get around to doing it because I thought it would be a big PITA and I had to relocate the clutch reservoir as well since I have a 6-spd. Anyway it makes a big difference in pedal feel. Went from soft and mushy with a lot of travel to very firm with hardly any travel.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Bought mine from BAM. I added the G2 rear big brake kit also. Best bang for the buck imo. Might not fit 17" wheels though. Need to get the template and check. Spacers might make it work.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought mine from BAM. I added the G2 rear big brake kit also. Best bang for the buck imo. Might not fit 17" wheels though. Need to get the template and check. Spacers might make it work.
Hi & tnx.
Before starting this thread i also 'bought' and duly paid for the mopar bbk from bam, a day later i was notified that it's on back order with no eta :-(( so i cancelled & got a refund.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take a look at the RT Offroad (Crown) BBK. Pretty much the same parts as the Mopar for less $. Add the large bore master cylinder to make it all work properly. You should be able to source the kit for less than $400 and the master cyl for less than $100.

https://www.rtoffroad.com/big-brake-kit-front.html

https://www.crownautomotive.net/Brake-Master-Cylinder/68091278AB.html

The Teraflex rear big rotor kit pairs with it well.
Hi & tnx.
I know about their kit since there was an announcement on the forum regarding a great deal on it ( somewhere around 360/380 fs )
I had a hesitation regarding the quality, any insights on the quality over time ?
( for the price there should be no hesitation, but after extra shipping, and taxes to europe, above installation... :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I understand it, the Mopar BBK for JKs was discontinued. If you want to piece it together yourself, here's a list of all of the Mopar part numbers in the BBK.

I don't have any direct experience with any of the brake upgrade kits (yet) so I'll let someone else chime in on their preferences.

-m
Tnx. For the good info

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran the TF front and rear kit for 2 years with 35s. Worked well and no issues. I’ve read that people on this forum also say good things about the Dynatrac kit.
Tnx. !
I only saw dynatrac without calipers upgrade, i was thinking to upgrade the calipers too..
Appreciate the input reg. Teraflex, maybe someone who used teraflex with the mc & booster can add an impression about with and without. Tnx.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Here's a comparison of the new TF rotor vs. OEM, and of how they look behind a 17" wheel.
Thank you for the opinion & pic's ! I appreciate that.
Mc & booster might not be very needed, but i can't ignore the fact that if mopar included it, it wasn't just for pedal feel.. :))
I'm Hopping to hear if, how & how much will it improve the final result of the braking system.
I'm not a big knower reg. Jk bbk so I apologize if I'm bothering the forum :))

·
Registered
383 Posts
Most kits that have an upgraded/larger caliper, or if your rig is pre 2012, I believe, recommend the larger MC since you are pushing more volume of fluid.

If you are just doing the big rotor kits then the oem booster and MC is fine since you are still using the OEM calipers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tnx. !
I'm expecting the parts to arrive,
I decided to go with it seriously and deeply all the 'academic way' :
Delta bbk kit 4403450
Mopar master cylinder & booster kit p5160050
Thank you all !

My second best would have been sourcing the parts from mopar bbk
And rhe third but very close to the second place would have been a good quality/performance ratio : rt/crown.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Take a look at the RT Offroad (Crown) BBK. Pretty much the same parts as the Mopar for less $. Add the large bore master cylinder to make it all work properly. You should be able to source the kit for less than $400 and the master cyl for less than $100.

https://www.rtoffroad.com/big-brake-kit-front.html

https://www.crownautomotive.net/Brake-Master-Cylinder/68091278AB.html

The Teraflex rear big rotor kit pairs with it well.
I just ordered 2 of those for both of our jeeps. Stopping the 40's on the kids in a panic is scary and the wifes is getting a 37" upgrade this spring.

Reactions: ssinga

·
Registered
7,875 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hi & tnx.
I know about their kit since there was an announcement on the forum regarding a great deal on it ( somewhere around 360/380 fs )
I had a hesitation regarding the quality, any insights on the quality over time ?
( for the price there should be no hesitation, but after extra shipping, and taxes to europe, above installation... :)
I run the Crown kit and there is no issue with quality. I have been running it for over a year and have 37's on steel bead locks. Because I have a 12, I also upgraded to the Mopar Performance booster and master cylinder.

I pull a popup camper and I can stop on a dime with this combination.

Reactions: Jk4papa

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I run the Crown kit and there is no issue with quality. I have been running it for over a year and have 37's on steel bead locks. Because I have a 12, I also upgraded to the Mopar Performance booster and master cylinder.

I pull a popup camper and I can stop on a dime with this combination.
Thank you for the great input !
As i wrote, my palm was scratching, so I moved quickly on the delta teraflex,
But you emphasis my opinion that crown / rt are the best solution for the money
Almost equal to mopar which is kind of history now.
Again, thank you for replying!
Rafi

1 - 20 of 28 Posts