Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my Sahara plastic steps with the MOPAR enhanced rock rails.
With a AEV 2.5" lift and 35x12.5 tires, will I have to trim the rails to avoid rubbing?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looking to replace my Sahara plastic steps with the MOPAR enhanced rock rails.
With a AEV 2.5" lift and 35x12.5 tires, will I have to trim the rails to avoid rubbing?
I had the regular Rubi rails (not the "enhanced" ones) and needed to trim about 2" off to clear 315/70 KO2 while flexing off road. Driving round the mall parking lots they were OK (just looked really really close)

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the regular Rubi rails (not the "enhanced" ones) and needed to trim about 2" off to clear 315/70 KO2 while flexing off road. Driving round the mall parking lots they were OK (just looked really really close)

Thanks. Might just go with Rockhard steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks. Might just go with Rockhard steps.

A good choice i think. Been very happy with my patriot sliders, no issues with 35s and now 37s. Can be a PITA to install (the pinch seam holes lining up seem to be hit or miss). Worth it though as the coverage of the pinch seam is far better than other similar mounted sliders (ACE and JCR).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, I had to trim mine on my Hard Rock with 35s and AEV 2.5. Not a big deal and took maybe 5 minutes at most.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A good choice i think. Been very happy with my patriot sliders, no issues with 35s and now 37s. Can be a PITA to install (the pinch seam holes lining up seem to be hit or miss). Worth it though as the coverage of the pinch seam is far better than other similar mounted sliders (ACE and JCR).
Thanks and that's why I wanted to get the MOPAR ones. Drilling out my Jeep is not my cup of tea, though I removed my crash bar after 16 months. But I think they look better overall. What I don't get is how the OEM ones work but theirs are hit or miss.

·
Registered
520 Posts
FWIW, I replaced my factory Rubi rails with Smiitybilt SRC ones and I'm REALLY pleased with how well they fit - they bolted right on, and the curve matches the body exactliy (unlike most aftermarket ones). The best part is that they bolt on EXACTLY the same way as the factory rails, and even use the same hardware (I didn't have to use any of the hardware they provided).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NNXY1I

Crazy good price too - and the price keeps dropping. I paid $260 for them two weeks ago and thought that was a really good deal.

They aren't going to be as strong as ones that are welded to the frame, or drilled into the body, but if you're looking for something that is not a permanent change and provides at least as god protection as OEM (if not better) then I think these seem like a really good option.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
MOPAR Enhanced rock rails, 35's and 2.5" lift, trim?

Thanks and that's why I wanted to get the MOPAR ones. Drilling out my Jeep is not my cup of tea, though I removed my crash bar after 16 months. But I think they look better overall. What I don't get is how the OEM ones work but theirs are hit or miss.

You and me both. Hard Rock has said they make them in a Jig and that they are uniform. I pulled my stock rubi rails off and installed the Hard Rock rails, the holes all "lined up" i just had to enlarge one or two with a step bit, no new holes.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
FWIW, I replaced my factory Rubi rails with Smiitybilt SRC ones and I'm REALLY pleased with how well they fit - they bolted right on, and the curve matches the body exactliy (unlike most aftermarket ones). The best part is that they bolt on EXACTLY the same way as the factory rails, and even use the same hardware (I didn't have to use any of the hardware they provided).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NNXY1I

Crazy good price too - and the price keeps dropping. I paid $260 for them two weeks ago and thought that was a really good deal.

They aren't going to be as strong as ones that are welded to the frame, or drilled into the body, but if you're looking for something that is not a permanent change and provides at least as god protection as OEM (if not better) then I think these seem like a really good option.
Be careful with those. Last time I saw those on a rig they crushed after a light impact with a rock. Just a light bounce off of it- nothing serious. They might be fine for street, fire roads, dirt trails and steps... but I wouldn't rely on them for serious work. Cost that guy $3000 to repair where the sliders crushed into the body. Last time he was ever seen on the trail. And that's not only failure I've seen. As true rock rails I would not rely on anything from them.
No disrespect. Just don't want to see anyone do damage.

·
Registered
520 Posts
MOPAR Enhanced rock rails, 35's and 2.5" lift, trim?

Be careful with those. Last time I saw those on a rig they crushed after a light impact with a rock. Just a light bounce off of it- nothing serious. They might be fine for street, fire roads, dirt trails and steps... but I wouldn't rely on them for serious work. Cost that guy $3000 to repair where the sliders crushed into the body. Last time he was ever seen on the trail. And that's not only failure I've seen. As true rock rails I would not rely on anything from them.

No disrespect. Just don't want to see anyone do damage.

Yea, I think the thing people get hung up on is determining just how hard they are planning to 'wheel. Many people purposely seek out boulder fields to bounce their Jeeps off of and for the challenge of navigating a tricky obstacle course. These situations often result in coming down hard off of a big rock, like when a front tire slides off and "bang!" you get a 10" or 15" drop onto the rock with the side rail.

Stuff like this (borrowed from another thread):

I do NOT do this sort of thing with my Jeep. I don't use it for rock crawling (BTDT), I only use it to access hunting and fishing spots that are remote and sometimes just a bit too much for a full sized truck or SUV to access. If there is a field of 24" boulders stacked on top of each other, I either find away around it, or I go somewhere else.

It is VERY common for me, however, to navigate a wash or dry stream bed strewn with 8" logs and grapefruit or watermelon sized rocks. Those aren't going to generally cause the type of situation I described above.

So for my situation, I'm *hoping* these things will be fine - they certainly FEEL heavy and thick. But you're the second person to portray these rock rails as if they are made of aluminum foil. I hope that is not the case! If so, I'll definitely post back with my own horror story.

I do appreciate the cautionary tale, though - thank you.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Yea, I think the thing people get hung up on is determining just how hard they are planning to 'wheel. Many people purposely seek out boulder fields to bounce their Jeeps off of and for the challenge of navigating a tricky obstacle course. These situations often result in coming down hard off of a big rock, like when a front tire slides off and "bang!" you get a 10" or 15" drop onto the rock with the side rail.

Stuff like this (borrowed from another thread):

I do NOT do this sort of thing with my Jeep. I don't use it for rock crawling (BTDT), I only use it to access hunting and fishing spots that are remote and sometimes just a bit too much for a full sized truck or SUV to access. If there is a field of 24" boulders stacked on top of each other, I either find away around it, or I go somewhere else.

It is VERY common for me, however, to navigate a wash or dry stream bed strewn with 8" logs and grapefruit or watermelon sized rocks. Those aren't going to generally cause the type of situation I described above.

So for my situation, I'm *hoping* these things will be fine - they certainly FEEL heavy and thick. But you're the second person to portray these rock rails as if they are made of aluminum foil. I hope that is not the case! If so, I'll definitely post back with my own horror story.

I do appreciate the cautionary tale, though - thank you.
They'll be just fine for your needs! And for most peoples. I just wish they didn't call them rock sliders. Because the point of any slider is to bounce off rocks without damage. My Pure Jeep sliders have been hit more times than I can possibly count. And you're right- that guy was in a boulder field basically- but he also expected that a "rock slider" would protect his Jeep. There are some things that you just need to spend the money on- if you're going to be on rocks you have to pay to play.
But for hunting and fishing and logs and stuff- enjoy 'em.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the MOPAR Enhanced Rock Rails today. Like brand new and came with hardware. Super easy and nothing to drill and fit like a glove. Happy with them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Installed the MOPAR Enhanced Rock Rails today. Like brand new and came with hardware. Super easy and nothing to drill and fit like a glove. Happy with them.

Those look great - I really like the way factory rails sit close and hide the pinch seam. I'd have gone that route but the wife wanted a bigger step.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Those look great - I really like the way factory rails sit close and hide the pinch seam. I'd have gone that route but the wife wanted a bigger step.

Yeah, wish a bit wider. Looked at the RockHard ones, but I did not want to drill.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great. Did you end up trimming them?
Nope, spacing is good. From what I read, it the regular rock rails that need trimming. Guess these are a tad bit shorter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nope, spacing is good. From what I read, it the regular rock rails that need trimming. Guess these are a tad bit shorter.
Hit a big bump or two and that'll change. I've had both, they're the same length, and you'll end up trimming both. :)

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hit a big bump or two and that'll change. I've had both, they're the same length, and you'll end up trimming both. :)

Ok, thanks. Will try and see today. Front has a lot of space and more than the sahara rails. Rear less, but wheels travel opposite direction. Guess will have to test out myself. Seem like I am getting different opinions. I do have a 2.5” lift as well.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Ok, thanks. Will try and see today. Front has a lot of space and more than the sahara rails. Rear less, but wheels travel opposite direction. Guess will have to test out myself. Seem like I am getting different opinions. I do have a 2.5” lift as well.

Hit one of the rear tires with a jack to get some upward flex. Based on the picture, it looks just as close as my stock rubi rails did with 35s and a 2" mopar lift. I trimmed them (and trimmed the rear pinch seam on my 2012).

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the standard Rubicon rails from a 2016/17 on my 2016 JKU Sahara. 2.5" AEV lift, had 315/70 before and 285/75 now. No modifications. No rubbing. No issues. I've flexed it on the trails in Michigan, even been on 3-wheels with a rear wheel off the ground. No issue. It does look very close in the back, but has not been any trouble.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts