Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, does everyone usually go with the official Mopar Fuel Door? Pretty pricey for a fuel door, no? $100+

Didn't know if anyone had gone with an alternative / ebay version or if it's just worth it for the mopar.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've got a knock off from ebay for $29 + free shipping, have it on for about 3 month now. No issues either with appearance or functionality. Opens/closes as expected, no rattling or anything.
Plastic on the internal part looks and feels a bit different from the original one (more glossy), but seems to be holding up just fine.

I mean, it just a decorative fuel door - what could go wrong?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I sucked it up and got the Mopar.

·
Super Moderator
10,664 Posts
I have the Mopar fuel door on both my JKs as well: it looks good and feels substantial when you open it and close it...which I have to do once a week...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought the Rugged Ridge, non-locking, model. It appears to look every bit as good as the Mopar version at over half the price. I don't live or work in an area that I'm concerned about someone siphoning or tampering with my gas, so locking would just add to bother of fill-ups.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Get the Mopar. Unlike me but I bought one that is not Mopar (was still like $60-$70) and it is crap.
Quality is expensive but well worth it in the long run.

looked it up. OMIX locking gas cap $72.99 (got it from Quadratec) I'll be contacting them.
The thing is total crap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I picked up the $32 Mopar look-alike from Amazon that had Prime shipping, and just installed it tonight. It looks great, has all the markings of the real one from what I can tell, and feels pretty solid. I haven't seen an "authentic" one to compare it to, but it doesn't feel cheap or sub-par. I removed the peg on the back in the noon position since my '15 doesn't have a hole there, but managed to snap off the one at 9 o'clock while I was installing it. So, using a small flathead screwdriver and some 3M automotive double-sided tape, it's now nice and snug. I put two 1-inch pieces at noon and 3, and pressed and held it for about 30 seconds. I'm really happy with it. Now we'll see how well it holds up over time and trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Couldn't get the second photo in the same post for some reason, app kept crashing. Here it is open.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Couldn't get the second photo in the same post for some reason, app kept crashing. Here it is open.
i have both mopar and cheap knock off .they look identical and feel the same i put the knock off on my mothers 4dr its holding up nice....and fir the app crashing i have the same problem.the only way i found to beat it is ,post a pic then go back into your post imeditally and hit edit and post another seem to work .or you can get the autoguide app . It works but has tons of adds

Attachments

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Got the knockoff on eBay for about $30 and it's help up quite well. The only issue I noticed is that there *were* two small rubber bumpers near the finger indent for the door to close on, softly I presume. Whilst filling up the other day, I noticed they were gone. No clue how long they've not been there, but at any rate, it's not something that affects the operation of the door. I've had it on for over a year and am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Get the "Mopar" fuel door and you'll be done with it. The knock offs don't hold up for the long haul and aftermarket locking fuel doors are known to malfunction after awhile. A Mopar fuel door with a Mopar locking gas cap is really the best combination for quality and extended use.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the rugged ridge non locking as well. It seems pretty good. It is thick and pretty heavy for what it is (it's a fuel door not a skid plate lol) I would buy one again

·
Registered
119 Posts
Seems there are many issues with the paint falling off! Check out Amazon reviews. My hunch is that Mopar likely to hold up best?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I just received my Chinese knock off. Looks like the real thing. Has Mopar and the part numbers moulded into the plastic frame. Aluminum cover looks great......for $22.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just wondering, does everyone usually go with the official Mopar Fuel Door? Pretty pricey for a fuel door, no? $100+

Didn't know if anyone had gone with an alternative / ebay version or if it's just worth it for the mopar.
There have been a few threads on this topic, one of which was

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-logo-fuel-door-from-ebay-a-621522.html

After seeing that thread I ordered from the same vendor and haven't had any issues whatsoever with the product. I even compared it with the one on a buddies Wrangler (came with it installed as part of some 'edition' type package) and was unable to find a single difference. In fact, I think it highly likely that the Mopar product itself is made in china and rather than being 'knock-offs' these were merely the exact same product form the exact same factory only without the retail packaging (for whatever reasons - lawful or otherwise)
The thread that I linked to has a large number of posts from those who have purchased this accessory and their experience with it and opinions about it (including mine) were one to want to read through it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
sorry to threadjack, but my jeep came with the mopar version. Are the screws removable? id like to paint them black.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have both mopar and cheap knock off .they look identical and feel the same i put the knock off on my mothers 4dr its holding up nice....and fir the app crashing i have the same problem.the only way i found to beat it is ,post a pic then go back into your post imeditally and hit edit and post another seem to work .or you can get the autoguide app . It works but has tons of adds
Awesome I hope this one holds up as well. Thanks for the tip about the app, my work won't let us on any websites that have "forum" in them anymore so I'm stuck using my phone if I want to screw around lol. I think the problem might also be my phone, it hates wifi, gonna replace it this weekend and see if that helps.

Also, nice job painting the Jeep letters on the cover, it's very sharp! Just what I needed, another excuse to hide in the garage playing with the Jeep :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts