Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Bought the Mopar JK CB kit, which includes an aluminum spare carrier mount and a 3 foot antenna.

I'm considering upgrading to a 4' firestick, and wondering if the mount will be OK? My gut says yes, but since this is my first install, I'm not sure how much stress the antenna mount receives, and whether a 4' antenna puts significantly more strain on it than a 3', and whether the aluminum would fatigue and crack.

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
It should be fine. It's got some thickness to it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you are concerned about the additional forces a 4' Firestik II will put on the mount you may want to consider a 4' Firestik Firefly instead. It is lighter and has more "give" to it than the Firestik II so it may put less bending force on the bracket you purchased.

I have a 4' Firefly and it works quite well - as well as any 4' fiberglass antenna I have used in my jeep over the years. I recommend pairing it with a Firestik heavy duty spring.

You will find some reports on the Internet claiming that the Firefly is more difficult to tune than an Firestik II or that a Firestik II has better performance than a Firefly, or that a Firefly is "too whippy." However, many of these reports are by people who don't know what they are doing, they are simply repeating something they read on the Internet, or they are expressing personal biases without any first hand experience to back them up.

While it is true that if one is seeking the absolute maximum range from their CB installation and one has followed all the rules for maximizing system performance, then one might be able to observe slightly greater range from a FS II than a Firefly. However, all Jeep CB installation require compromises in antenna height and mounting location, coax routing, etc. such that most people will not be able to tell the difference and particularly not at the 4 watt legal Tx power limit.

As for being "too whippy," that has not been my experience. A firefly is more flexible than a FS II, but not overly so. A Firefly is nowhere near as whippy as the no longer available K40 Superflex or the Wilson Flex, which I also experimented with before settling on my current antennas (2' FS II for around town and getting in/out of my garage and 4' Firefly for road trips/jeep runs).

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoY6ntnJ4Po

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you are concerned about the additional forces a 4' Firestik II will put on the mount you may want to consider a 4' Firestik Firefly instead. It is lighter and has more "give" to it than the Firestik II so it may put less bending force on the bracket you purchased.

I have a 4' Firefly and it works quite well - as well as any 4' fiberglass antenna I have used in my jeep over the years. I recommend pairing it with a Firestik heavy duty spring.

You will find some reports on the Internet claiming that the Firefly is more difficult to tune than an Firestik II or that a Firestik II has better performance than a Firefly, or that a Firefly is "too whippy." However, many of these reports are by people who don't know what they are doing, they are simply repeating something they read on the Internet, or they are expressing personal biases without any first hand experience to back them up.

While it is true that if one is seeking the absolute maximum range from their CB installation and one has followed all the rules for maximizing system performance, then one might be able to observe slightly greater range from a FS II than a Firefly. However, all Jeep CB installation require compromises in antenna height and mounting location, coax routing, etc. such that most people will not be able to tell the difference and particularly not at the 4 watt legal Tx power limit.

As for being "too whippy," that has not been my experience. A firefly is more flexible than a FS II, but not overly so. A Firefly is nowhere near as whippy as the no longer available K40 Superflex or the Wilson Flex, which I also experimented with before settling on my current antennas (2' FS II for around town and getting in/out of my garage and 4' Firefly for road trips/jeep runs).

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoY6ntnJ4Po
Bill, do you see much defection on that FireFly at speed? Like say 60mph? I'm worried that if I run it with a fender mount with a spring it might whip back and hit the A pillar.

·
Registered
875 Posts
. . . Do you see much deflection on that FireFly at speed?
My antenna is mounted above the driver's side tail light, thus deflection has not been a concern. What I can see in my rear view mirror doesn't appear to be excessive. You would have to experiment for yourself.

Personally, I don't think I would want a 4' antenna in my line of sight. I would find it distracting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up going with the 4' Firefly, and I'm happy with the choice. Got my SWR down to 1.5 on both 1 and 40. I don't see much if any whip at highway speeds, and the mount seems plenty study.

Thanks for the feedback all!

-Scott

·
Knows a couple things...
48,971 Posts
That aluminum mount would have been fine with the standard 4' Firestik antenna as well. And next time you tune a CB antenna, you can skip tuning it at 1 and 40 and just tune it at the mid-point on the band which is ch 20. That will give you the lowest SWR across the entire band ch's 1-40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts