Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: ^^ I know I misspelled warranty.

New around these parts, but figured no better place to start. Very close (on the edge) to buying myself a wrangler in the upcoming weeks. Preferably looking at a JK Unlimited Willy's Edition in Tank Color. Still working all of the details out with the dealer(s), but haven't spoken to anyone about the lifetime warranty yet. I do plan on doing some work on the Jeep in the future; maybe a small lift/leveling and some other minor work, nothing too major as it will be my daily driver. My questions for you all, (and I know it was mentioned in previous threads).... is the Lifetime warranty worth it and did it meet your expectations if you ever used it? I know a lot is going to depend on how long I decide to keep the car, and to be honest I was under the impression I would keep my current ride (2012 VW Golf TDI) until the wheels fell off, but we are now seeing how that thought is working out. I'm looking at the Willy's Unlimited not only as a change in vehicle, but a change in lifestyle. Up until now I've been very invested (honestly maybe too invested) in my job... not a bad thing, but I have a feeling this vehicle will give something great to look forward to; day, night, sunny, snow, rain, hot, cold.

Any information you guys have is greatly appreciated! (and be easy on me... like I said, I'm new here!)

Thanks in advance!

-Joel

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well, if you're not 100% sure if you're going to keep the JK for a long time, here are some things to keep in mind.

- You don't have to purchase the lifetime warranty when you purchase the vehicle, it can be purchased later (And depending on your dealer, likely for a lot cheaper online). However, if you buy it later then you can't wrap it up into the financing.

- If you trade-in or sell the JK then the warranty can be canceled and you will receive a pro-rated refund for it.

I purchased the lifetime warranty on the 2 Chrysler vehicles I purchased before the JK, one vehicle was traded and the other vehicle (My keep-for-life car) was totaled. Received refunds for both warranties.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't purchase the lifetime warranty on a non-Rubicon JK. Since I have a Rubicon, I'm seriously considering getting it just to cover the lockers and sway-bar disconnect. The disco actuator is $$$ and it seems like people have them fail due to water intrusion relatively often.

It is nice to have peace of mind, doing a small lift and such shouldn't be an issue, but I would get a feel for your dealer's service dept and see if they seem to be "mod friendly" or not.

Good luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I found out there are two states (North Carolina and Florida) where the lifetime warranty is actually transferable to the next owner for a fee. Since I live in NC and plan to keep my JKU as long as possible, the lifetime warranty made a lot of sense.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are lots of threads already on this forum regarding the Lifetime Warranty with varied opinions. The only negatives I recall are if you are heavy into modding and how that could affect the warranty.

After that it seemed to be a personal opinion as to the actual worth of an extended warranty.

Since I keep my vehicles for a very long time the Lifetime Warranty just made sense. Unfortunately I have gotten my moneys worth out of previous warranties I have purchased so they have been worth it to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When everybody talks about keeping your jeep for a long time to make it worth it, has anyone Figured out how many years make sense on average. I realize No one has a crystal ball for future repairs

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I keep hearing the number being 10+ years but in my opinion it's more about the miles traveled.

In ten years I'll have 500,000 miles on my jeep, so yeah it's worth it for me.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,351 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

If you are like many and drive say 15,000 miles a year, and only plan on keeping it 3-5 years, then it's a waste of money.. IMO.

Now if you drive 25,000 miles a year, or more and plan on keeping it 6-10 years or more, then go for it.........:thumb:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I plan on keeping my JK forever so as soon as i have the coin i'll be getting the lifetime warranty. Had i not fallen on some tough financial times i would still have my 94 YJ and/or 06 TJ. Still got the '51 Willys M38 my dad gave me 20 years ago though :)

·
Premium Member
6,907 Posts
When everybody talks about keeping your jeep for a long time to make it worth it, has anyone Figured out how many years make sense on average. I realize No one has a crystal ball for future repairs
When I bought mine back in 2013 from forum member Noble the cost was a little less than $2,000. We plan on keeping our Jeep for 10+ years. That comes out to less than 55-cents per day on the price of the lifetime warranty.

I figure I waste more money on snacks out of the vending machines at work each day than 55-cents so I bought it and am trying to cut down on my junk food impulse buying. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the dealer, price of the car, which I'll talk about in a second, was high :/ I asked about the MOPAR lifetime warranty and was quoted $3985. Higher than I was expecting.

Now as far as the price of the vehicle.... I had quoted a JK Unlimited (4 Door), 6 speed Willy's edition (W Group, so power everything (doors/windows/locks) connectivity group) Tank Green, Dual top group, Alpine 9-Speaker system for $35,062 + processing fee, title transfer/ destination and tax for a total of $38,422......

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Just got back from the dealer, price of the car, which I'll talk about in a second, was high :/ I asked about the MOPAR lifetime warranty and was quoted $3985. Higher than I was expecting.

Now as far as the price of the vehicle.... I had quoted a JK Unlimited (4 Door), 6 speed Willy's edition (W Group, so power everything (doors/windows/locks) connectivity group) Tank Green, Dual top group, Alpine 9-Speaker system for $35,062 + processing fee, title transfer/ destination and tax for a total of $38,422......

What do you guys think?
You can price the Chrysler lifetime warranty here - https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com

As for the vehicle price, build that Jeep on http://www.truecar.com and compare that to the dealer price. If the dealer price is considerably higher then give them the TrueCar price print-out and tell them to match it or you'll go to the dealer that will (TrueCar will tell you the guaranteed price from the local dealers that are participating). You should have no problem getting the Jeep for at least 2% under invoice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This may sound stupid... but how do you ask a dealer to offer you the car for less money than they paid for it? (invoice price)

Just curious and learning my ways here.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
This may sound stupid... but how do you ask a dealer to offer you the car for less money than they paid for it? (invoice price) Just curious and learning my ways here.
Invoice isn't dealer cost. :) They can sell vehicles at or below invoice all day long and make money due to dealer hold backs and such.

·
Premium Member
6,907 Posts
I asked about the MOPAR lifetime warranty and was quoted $3985. Higher than I was expecting. for a total of $38,422...... What do you guys think?
Also, check into the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program. You can buy your Jeep for 1% below invoice by using it. If you become a member of Tread Lightly you can use your membership after 30 days for the Affiliate Rewards.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Also, check into the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program. You can buy your Jeep for 1% below invoice by using it. If you become a member of Tread Lightly you can use your membership after 30 days for the Affiliate Rewards.
I get 1% below invoice through my employer, however TrueCar has beat that deal the last 3 times I bought a new Chrysler.

·
Registered
13 Posts

What do you guys think?
I just bought a Willys Unlimited in tank with the 24w package. I didn't get the Alpine or dual tops, just the upgraded soft top and tow package. My sticker was $36,135. I used true car and got a pre tax, tag, and title price of $33,694. Based on the True Car estimate I got a fair deal.

I am also trying to get info on the best deal for the extended factory warranty. The dealership wants $3600 for the lifetime with the $100 deductible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does being in Florida make a difference to the purchase? I've been reading that we apparently have some wacky rules here when it comes to warranty's.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Does being in Florida make a difference to the purchase? I've been reading that we apparently have some wacky rules here when it comes to warranty's.
Actually I think Florida is one of the states where the lifetime warranty is actually transferable for a fee - which is a very good thing.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts