Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Well here goes my first post. I have a 2015 JKU on order and waiting for it. Meanwhile, I am planning to add a lift kit and 35" tires and have a few questions. I suspect these questions have been asked many times, but my exploration of this site leaves me with many more questions. Your help would be appreciated.

1 - I am thinking of ordering and getting installed a 3" Mopar lift kit. From what I've read, despite the cost, is a very good avenue. Now, I saw mention of a 4" Mopar lift kit which was a little less expensive (don't know why). What's the difference between these two kits? Pros/Cons?

2 - Given that I will add the 35" tires, I ordered the JKU with 3.73 gears and was wondering if I should amend the order to specify the 4.10 gears. I've read about this issue both ways and for 35" tires, seems to be a tossup. What are your thoughts on this?

3 - I am looking at the KMC XD Rockstar wheels (17x9) with a 4.5" backspace. Will add 35" dia tires, ~ 12 inches wide. Will use the Jeep 90% on road and rest of the time, light duty off road (I don't think I will be as wild as perhaps some of you). Knowing these characteristics, what tires and sizes would you recommend?

4 - How sucky will the gas mileage get with those tires?

Thankfully, I am not on a tight budget, just want to make some right decisions from the get go.

I'm excited to be a "jeeper".
Best Regards,
Rob.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
why mopar?

if you can get 4.10's get them.

the world needs less jeeps with rockstar wheels imo

expect 14-17mpg

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Mopar's kits are rebranded Teraflex components. Teraflex makes good stuff, but you may not need all of the stuff that comes in the Mopar kits.

·
Super Moderator
15,509 Posts
Hi All,

Well here goes my first post. I have a 2015 JKU on order and waiting for it. Meanwhile, I am planning to add a lift kit and 35" tires and have a few questions. I suspect these questions have been asked many times, but my exploration of this site leaves me with many more questions. Your help would be appreciated.

1 - I am thinking of ordering and getting installed a 3" Mopar lift kit. From what I've read, despite the cost, is a very good avenue. Now, I saw mention of a 4" Mopar lift kit which was a little less expensive (don't know why). What's the difference between these two kits? Pros/Cons? I would not do 4" for 35" tires. I have the 3" Mopar with 37s. I like the lift, but there are other lifts as nice or better. Metalcloak, Rock Krawler, etc

2 - Given that I will add the 35" tires, I ordered the JKU with 3.73 gears and was wondering if I should amend the order to specify the 4.10 gears. I've read about this issue both ways and for 35" tires, seems to be a tossup. What are your thoughts on this? Only the Rubicon offers 4.10, get them if your going Rubicon

3 - I am looking at the KMC XD Rockstar wheels (17x9) with a 4.5" backspace. Will add 35" dia tires, ~ 12 inches wide. Will use the Jeep 90% on road and rest of the time, light duty off road (I don't think I will be as wild as perhaps some of you). Knowing these characteristics, what tires and sizes would you recommend? Not a fan of Rock Stars, but it's your Jeep. Seems a little wide since most 35's are 12.5 wide

4 - How sucky will the gas mileage get with those tires? I get about 16.5 mpg with 37's and 3" lift

Thankfully, I am not on a tight budget, just want to make some right decisions from the get go.

I'm excited to be a "jeeper".
Best Regards,
Rob.
:welcome:

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

1. The MOPAR 3" lift kit is a good choice, specially if you get the Fox shocks. However, having the dealer install offers you absolutely zero guaranteed that the dealer or Chrysler will not deny a warranty claim if they deem the lift kit contributed to the problem in question. At best it buys you some goodwill from the dealer but maybe not even that.

2. If you can get 4.10 gears absolutely get them because the 3.73 are low enough for 35" tires.

3. Since you are going to be on the road most of the time and only light off roading go with an AT or AT/MT hybrid. Start by looking at the Goodyear Duratracs and Cooper Maxx although there are many great options.

4. If you are concerned about fuel economy then don't lift your new Jeep or add big tires. You can't have both and there isn't anything practical you can do to change it significantly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. Two of you suggested that the Rockstars as a wheel choice wasn't desirable. Is there a reason for that other than looks? I don't want to be ridiculed and teased....LOL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Rubicon 2dr 6spd (4.10) as a daily driver plus off pavement for hunting, fishing, camping and have taken it down some pretty gnarly "jeep trails" to get where I want to go. Decided to add a winch and an AEV tire carrier with gas caddy to avoid those "oops, I got stuck in that mudhole" or "man am I short on fuel" situations. Figure the extra weight would reduce my clearance some and I have already bottomed out a few times. Chose the AEV 2.5" Dualsport lift, pintler wheels, Nitto Trail 35s and OME steering stabilizer and am waiting for the parts to arrive. Looking for good on pavement performance and improved off pavement. Not cheap but then neither was the Jeep. Hoping these mods will do the trick from my particular use of the Jeep (expedition as opposed to rock crawling).

·
Super Moderator
15,509 Posts
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. Two of you suggested that the Rockstars as a wheel choice wasn't desirable. Is there a reason for that other than looks? I don't want to be ridiculed and teased....LOL.
They're the Nickelback of wheel choices :) Need I say more? They're round, they function as a wheel, but they're soooo overdone. IMO

Still, your Jeep, your call. If you like them then go for it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The MOPAR kit is really nice. We just installed on a 2 door and the lift was more than 2 inches without aftermarket bumpers. With all of the extra pieces the kit has it is a great deal if you can swing the price up front. Far more parts included than the average lift.

Just did a preliminary review on the kit on our website. Link in my sig.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
35" tires begs 2 things IMO. Gas mileage is going down for sure. Start looking for a tire carrier--just to heavy to bolt up on the tailgate. That said get them, just be aware of those issues. Look at an AT tire for your needs lots to choose from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts