Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I am going to install a MOPAR light bar on my 2013 JKL. The instructions are not very good. First, how do I remove the OEM plastic "apron" under the front bumper. It is attached by 3 what appear to be, plastic rivets. How do the rivets come out? Are they re-useable? The spacer between the bumper and the grill also has plastic fasteners. How do they come out? are they re-useable? I have to loosen the bumper and pull it forward slightly to get the spacer out to cut slots in it for the light bar to pass thru. Not going to touch anything until I hear from you all. Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
The MOPAR light bar?

20 minute install if you do it right. You don't have to remove anything. Just make sure you use a wrench with tape on the end to hold the nuts in place.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Are you talking about this light bar?

Unless you somehow ended up with a really, really, really, really old light bar kit (like from 2007 or something, as I heard they were not notched), the brackets should be notched out. You "slide/rotate" them into position from the side.

https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/110409.pdf

You should not have to cut or remove anything. I can't remember if I even bothered to remove my airdam for more room to install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the exact instruction sheet I have. But the photos are not as clear. If you look under the turn signal light you can see a chunk of the plastic spacer has been cut out. I got the kit on Amazon and it said it would fit a 2013.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I installed mine about 2 weeks ago. Like panther said, theres no cutting required. The brackets are notched so the small pipe section essentially sits on top of that filler bumper piece. I too thought I had to hole saw or notch out the filler panel. Once I did more research it was like "duh!" Piece of cake after that. To put the upper bolt on, ya, get a piece of tape or wire or something that u can make a "u" shaped out of and long enough to have a handle. I used a piece of copper, molded it to the nut, the flange of the nut sat against the copper wire "u". Taped nut to the "u", then just ripped the copper wire out once attached. Bottom can be done with no trickery. This probly made no sense how i explained it, but good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed mine about 2 weeks ago. Like panther said, theres no cutting required. The brackets are notched so the small pipe section essentially sits on top of that filler bumper piece. I too thought I had to hole saw or notch out the filler panel. Once I did more research it was like "duh!" Piece of cake after that. To put the upper bolt on, ya, get a piece of tape or wire or something that u can make a "u" shaped out of and long enough to have a handle. I used a piece of copper, molded it to the nut, the flange of the nut sat against the copper wire "u". Taped nut to the "u", then just ripped the copper wire out once attached. Bottom can be done with no trickery. This probly made no sense how i explained it, but good luck!
It makes plenty of sense. I looked at my brackets and, indeed, they are notched. I. am going to see if I can wiggle them in to position as soon a I finish my coffee. Thanks fellers!

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
For ease, you can do something like this for the top bolt:

Darkside used a piece of metal with tape, I used a wrench with tape.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what I did Panther, except I used duct tape. By using several layers on the back side I was able to get the wench to stay where I wanted it by friction. Look Ma no hands! I did remove the air dam. It was just in the way. The plastic fasteners are completely re-useable. Took me about an hour for the whole job. Now I have to decide on lights. Thanks for all the help.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
That's exactly what I did Panther, except I used duct tape. By using several layers on the back side I was able to get the wench to stay where I wanted it by friction. Look Ma no hands! I did remove the air dam. It was just in the way. The plastic fasteners are completely re-useable. Took me about an hour for the whole job. Now I have to decide on lights. Thanks for all the help.
No prob...

A lot of threads on light bars,

I have a 20" Eyourelife LED light bar that I'm going to mount on the bottom side of the light bar.....some day. It has been sitting in my garage along with a new AngryBird grille for a while now. My light bar was $60.00 (still need a harness...and time).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts