Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, so my 4.2L YJ has a carburetor and I wasn't aware how annoying it is. My mechanic told me about the Mopar MPI kit. It converts the YJ to become fuel injected. More HP, more low end torque

A customer bought the kit and has not used it, it's just sitting there.

So, has anyone done it? I would love to know more about it

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I already have fuel injection in my MPI 2.5L, but my friend's dad with a 1986 CJ said that his biggest regret with his Jeep was putting in a $300 carb system instead of waiting and getting the $700 fuel injection system.

If you are getting a better price than $2700, I'd go for it. Although with carbs I'm no more than an armchair mechanic... I'm just letting you know how great MPI is, but I don't think it's worth $3k (assuming some labor cost in there). If you need a new fuel system because of bad carbs, I don't see a problem with dropping some cash for an injected 4.2L, that sounds like a pretty damn powerful engine that's not hard to work on.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I installed my mpfi about 2 years ago best mod ever I am a shade tree mechanic and it was not to bad of a install be sure that you get the vibration dampener for fuel injection be
Sure to pull oil dipstick bolt and clean all rust/oil clear to block make it shine with this conversion grounds are extremely important Do not over torque intake/exhaust bolts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Forgot to say go to where battery negative bolts to block clean very good

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
A reman carb is $150.00 + shipping from National Carburators.
I got one from them and am as happy as can be.
Their follow up service is great. I had a couple questions and both times they got right back to me.

Have you ever heard of an EMP ?

Next mod for me is a DUI distributor.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yea but I have to pass California smog could not get all the smog parts to pass had to do swap

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already have fuel injection in my MPI 2.5L, but my friend's dad with a 1986 CJ said that his biggest regret with his Jeep was putting in a $300 carb system instead of waiting and getting the $700 fuel injection system. If you are getting a better price than $2700, I'd go for it. Although with carbs I'm no more than an armchair mechanic... I'm just letting you know how great MPI is, but I don't think it's worth $3k (assuming some labor cost in there). If you need a new fuel system because of bad carbs, I don't see a problem with dropping some cash for an injected 4.2L, that sounds like a pretty damn powerful engine that's not hard to work on.
Including labor, it's gonna cost me about $3k.

The 4.2L carbs I've heard have an EXTREMELY tough time passing CA smog tests. And I've heard lots of bad things about that computer controlled carburetor

I'm debating whether I should do it or not

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed my mpfi about 2 years ago best mod ever I am a shade tree mechanic and it was not to bad of a install be sure that you get the vibration dampener for fuel injection be Sure to pull oil dipstick bolt and clean all rust/oil clear to block make it shine with this conversion grounds are extremely important Do not over torque intake/exhaust bolts
Got it, thanks

I won't be doing the work myself though, my mechanic

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A reman carb is $150.00 + shipping from National Carburators. I got one from them and am as happy as can be. Their follow up service is great. I had a couple questions and both times they got right back to me. Have you ever heard of an EMP ? Next mod for me is a DUI distributor. Good Luck, L.M.
An EMP? I have not, what's that?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I did the Howell a year ago and love it, huge difference than the Carter and it passed Cal smog no problem. Like was said earlier, half the price of the MPI.....took a day to install.

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
What have you found an EMP proof alternator? :bop:
Hadn't thought of that. Perhaps I will keep a spare in a Faraday cage.

Worst case, I can charge my battery with a solar panel. If it happens I wouldn't want to drive at night anyhow.

Pray it never happens. L.M.

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
Including labor, it's gonna cost me about $3k.

The 4.2L carbs I've heard have an EXTREMELY tough time passing CA smog tests. And I've heard lots of bad things about that computer controlled carburetor

I'm debating whether I should do it or not
Check out Nutter bypass. If a fellow is clever I bet he can do it so that it is invisable.

If it is illeagal in your area I am not suggesting that you break the rules. There is one county in CA that does not require emission testing. Perhaps you could get an address there.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hadn't thought of that. Perhaps I will keep a spare in a Faraday cage.

Worst case, I can charge my battery with a solar panel. If it happens I wouldn't want to drive at night anyhow.

Pray it never happens. L.M.
I was reading somewhere that most modern military vehicles (ex. Humvee) are about 90% emp proof and that they have Faraday cages on the alternators and major electrical components already on the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
10,273 Posts
I was reading somewhere that most modern military vehicles (ex. Humvee) are about 90% emp proof and that they have Faraday cages on the alternators and major electrical components already on the vehicle.
Sounds like Uncle knows something.

I don't think wrapping them with aluminum foil will do the trick.
Perhaps I can protect it all with my tin hat. LOL

Live Long and Prosper. L.M.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Vehicles are already faraday cages, maybe not Wranglers but the hood will protect what's under it. The charge will travel from the point of contact to the path of least resistance into the earth, usually down the body panels or frame into the wheels through the tires. Unless you're a moron who hangs his towing light hookup off the rear to show "he pulls" or a redneck with testicles bigger than your own that dangle on the ground.

I'd think the radiator and fenders would be decent protection from a horizontal charge being shot. Only weakness is from the ground up. Then again, we WANT the military to overengineer things and be paranoid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts