Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard recently from my local dealership that Mopar oil is now made by Penzoil... this dissappoints me because when I got my first Jeep, in hopes of keeping it for life, I had planned to only use Mopar Oil because its supposed to be the best for my engine. Studies in the past show Penzoil Oils scoring the lowest if not failing in almost all aspects of Oil testing. Penzoil claims to now be a better oil and to no longer be parafin based but I still havent decided whether or not to trust it.. Some guys say oils oil but I believe there are some oils that actually do protect better against engine wear.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I work alongside petrochemists and I don't think there's a single name-brand oil that would cause our 3.8s to fail prematurely ---- that's the consensus from the chemists, mind you.
Each and every one of them do admit that certain oils do better and most of them (but not all) think their brand is best.

Mopar oil at 6K intervals with a clean OE air filter and you should be good for well over 200K miles.

But be happy in life. Run the oil you like.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Mopar doesn't actually make anything. It's all re-branded.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use Mobil 5000 with a Mopar Oil Filter, had no issues, no engine pinging. I refuse to use Penzoil. The reason why Mopar / Chrysler had to switch to Penzoil fro Mobil was due to when the big three was going there Banking issues, Chrysler never paid their outstanding bill with Mobil Oil. When Chrsyler was getting back on their feet, Mobil said , Pay your oustanding bill , or go to hell. Due to the goverment allowing the American auto Manufactuers " BIG 3" to wiggle out of their outstanding debts. Thats when Penzoil stepped up to the plate. From what I understand all Chrysler Dealerships now use Penzoil in their service bays, along with their Mopar Branded Oil.

:crash: SLIM_SNOOPY :crash:

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
Oil Brands are a personal preference, I have seen threads that go 20 pages or more on this topic...:D
Indeed. Use what you want to by all means.
Bashing others for what they use is foolish, however. Not saying anyone here is doing that, just saying.
It's that brand loyalty thing. Makes me laugh every time.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I used to answer every contentious topic question on another forum with just the one word "Amsoil" to stir up trouble.
Yeah; oil threads can get ugly.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
are you saying that i'm not to put wild turkey 2 to1 with oil?:rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
It Depends. Are you drinking 2 parts Wild Turkey for every one part oil or mixing it in the oil? Well I don't know it matters. 4 quart oil change would probably be alcohol poisoning either way.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I wouldn't run Pennzoil in my neighbors lawn mower :)
I do not want to start " WAR OF THE OIL'S" ON HERE...LOL ,,,,,, When I found out that Chrysler switched over to Penzoil, and that is what was in my engine... at 500 miles , I already switched to my favorite brand. I'm not gona tell you what that brand might be. " SSSSShhhhhh - starts with a " M". l :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Ummmmm...marvel mystery oil? hehe
My friend's family when I was a kid started that company and made a kabillion dollars selling it.
They told me the "mystery" of the ingredient list but I was sworn to secrecy. This was when I was like 7 years old too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha wow I didnt know what I was going to stir up when I posted this lol Im stickn with Castrol and my MOPAR oil filter. As for Chrysler buddyin up with Penzoil because of their debt that makes sense I never thought to consider that. MOPAR doesn't make oil but rumor has it that they have an additive put in the oil by the manufacturer that makes it their own in a way... and they used to be able to test the oil to see if MOPAR oil was being used when an engine failed in some way.. pertaining to warranty work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts