Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2021 JL Willys - 4cyl Auto - StingGray
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use these?
I'm looking for a step-side upgrade from the basic MOPAR Rock Rails that came on my Willys.
Wife and I both are thinking we'd like a step up to help ingress/egress, but not too interested in the larger, more prominent nerf-style steps that are out there.
  • Is this an effective step assist? Or too small to get a foot "purchase" on?
  • Do these provide an equivalent amount of rock slider protection as the base Rock Rails from Mopar?

Found a good deal on these at BAM Wholesale for $838 shipped.
Looking for experienced inputs from the Forum.
Thanks,

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
On order 2022 JLUR 6mt 4.88's
20 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey BergerBoy,

I'll be ordering a Willys Sport next month, and plan on having the Mopar performance rock sliders installed by the dealer, so I'm interested in the same aspects of them as you are.

I decided to go with these as, after a lot of research, they seem like some of the best all-around heavy-duty rock rails out there. Not only are they heavy-duty steel, but they are heavily galvanized to resist corrosion, and THEN also coated with a bedliner-type material for additional protection. My only quibble with them (as with so many other rock rails) is that they are body-mounted rather than frame-mounted.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
If you are not crawling over rocks, get a set of Sahara side step takeoffs and be done.

They weigh a lot less, provide a wider step and can be had for $300 on Craigslist or eBay.

They attach to the exact same spots where your rock rails are currently mounted. It is a 15 minute install.

Good luck.

Part No. 68292907AF (left) and 68292906AF (right)
Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Grille

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have these on my Jeep. They are very usable as a step but keep in mind how high they are. Not a lot of use to someone of smaller stature and not necessary for someone 6 ft or more. I bought them, in part, to be a step for my wife (she does not ride in the Jeep all that often) but moreover as an attempt to reduce rock chips on the rear door hinges. As mentioned above, the composite side steps are a good (maybe better) choice for a lot less money, especially considering you won't get anything for JLU rails. 2 door rails do have a bit better market, however.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I neglected to mention that I had the ACE sliders over Rubi sliders on my 2 door JK. They were a decent step for my wife but stuck out quite a ways making it a nusiance for me to get in and out of the Jeep. I elected to not do that again because I was also trying to reduce rock chip damage. They looked good, though. I never actually put them to a real test offroad.

·
Premium Member
9,447 Posts
If you can't find a set that is for sale on the used market, they are not that bad as a new item.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
509 Posts
@BergerboyJL: These side steps came with the 2-dr 2020 Willys and they work well getting in and out. Are yours different on your 2021?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

EDIT: I went to your intro thread and see the photo of your ride. You have the Rubi Rails and I now understand your situation with ingress and egress.

Tube rail sliders will give you the rock protection and barely enough width to get in and out. However, if they ice up . . . . . no fun. I had RedRock sliders that fit over the Rubi Rails on my JK Willys and while they were great, every now and then I had small projectiles flying through the rails at times. So I would go with Aldo recommended.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a new pair on eBay for $299, free shipping. Says it is the last set he has left.

Aldo - Are these able to be installed over the existing Rubicon Rock Rails? I'd like to keep them on if at all possible. I don't care for the look of the exposed pinch seams under the rockers if the Rock Rails are removed.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
Aldo - Are these able to be installed over the existing Rubicon Rock Rails? I'd like to keep them on if at all possible. I don't care for the look of the exposed pinch seams under the rockers if the Rock Rails are removed.
No. You have to swap the rock rails with these.

They cover the pinch seams, though. They mount on the exact same spots as the rock rails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks,
Interesting that I went back to my window sticker and it doesn't show any added cost for the Rock Rails, although I remember ordering the "Heavy Duty Rock Slider with Step Assist by MOPAR" for $925. The Jeep was delivered with the "Rock Protection Sill Rails" that appears included as part of the 22W package.
So, maybe they are running short of the Step Assist Rock Rails at the end of the model year?
At least I feel better now, knowing I'm not removing an option I paid $925 extra for, in place for these Step Assists for the added $300 off of eBay.
Also - The Step Assist Rock Rails that you recommended, look like they are ABS (plastic) construction, but there's got to be steel in there for structural strength, right? I can't imagine these being 100% plastic and being durable at all.
Vehicle Font Naval architecture Electric blue Asphalt

Font Rectangle Technology Number Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
Thanks,
Interesting that I went back to my window sticker and it doesn't show any added cost for the Rock Rails, although I remember ordering the "Heavy Duty Rock Slider with Step Assist by MOPAR" for $925. The Jeep was delivered with the "Rock Protection Sill Rails" that appears included as part of the 22W package.
So, maybe they are running short of the Step Assist Rock Rails at the end of the model year?
At least I feel better now, knowing I'm not removing an option I paid $925 extra for, in place for these Step Assists for the added $300 off of eBay.
Also - The Step Assist Rock Rails that you recommended, look like they are ABS (plastic) construction, but there's got to be steel in there for structural strength, right? I can't imagine these being 100% plastic and being durable at all.
View attachment 4529111
View attachment 4529112

Double check your window sticker, not your build sheet. The dealer might have ordered them, but if there are no super duper rock rails available, they shouldn’t have charged for them. If the dealer charged you $1,000 for the standard rock rails, you got ripped off. I’d be paying them a visit.

The side steps are extremely durable. I have slid sideways onto a tree and bashed them on the trail: they are tough as nails.

I can understand your hesitance to replace the steel rock rails with a set of $300 plastic steps. But unless you rock crawl, those steel rails are just decor; meanwhile you are still in need of side steps...

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
BTW, ACE Manufacturing offers sliders that mount on top of the factory rock rails; the protruding tubes double as a narrow step.

But again, unless you are rock crawling, you’d be adding weight and gaining only a narrow foothold. They ain’t cheap, either. They look very cool, though.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
707 Posts
How well do the Mopar performance rock sliders protect the sides of the Jeep? Can anyone here answer that? I have not seen that matter discussed here before.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
How well do the Mopar performance rock sliders protect the sides of the Jeep? Can anyone here answer that? I have not seen that matter discussed here before.
Moderately well. It will protect your rocker panels as long as you hit the rock straight down.

These rock rails are partly there for function, partly there for looks. There’s only so much stress anything mounted to the pinch seam can withstand.

It is probably enough for 90% of users, though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was referring to the Mopar performance rock rails in my earlier posts. They help with road rock deflection away from the door hinges but are not perfect. The tires still extend beyond the rails a bit and rear fenders are still exposed. Mine are the black plastic version so rock chips are not a big deal unlike painted fenders. For the record, I also modified WeatherTech front mud flaps to fit the performance rock rails in an attempt to limit the rock chips. The best steps for rock chip protection are the Sahara type. They are more than adequate as steps and moderate offroad (no rock crawling).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts