Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed on my 10A that one side rail sits up against jeep body and caused some minor dent and paint damage. It has seen some rocks...it is a rock rail...is this a function of a weak product or a faulty install? Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I dont think the mopar are bad, just not great. I dont think they are designed for serious rock sliding.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I just noticed on my 10A that one side rail sits up against jeep body and caused some minor dent and paint damage. It has seen some rocks...it is a rock rail...is this a function of a weak product or a faulty install? Any thoughts appreciated!
This is the enhanced slider with the step? If so its a bad design...if the rock hits he step it pushes the flat bar up and in to the body.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Sorry your 10A got dinged up...that sucks being that it happened because you were using the vehicle the way it was meant (and advertised) to be used.

Fix it as best you can and go with better sliders if you are going to play in the rocks.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ya know, if it was me, I'd go back to the dealership. Like Panthermark said, "...you were using the vehicle the way it was meant (and advertised) to be used"

Heck, it's called a "Rubicon Edition", not a "Rubicon-Bypass Edition".

To me, that is either a defect in materials, design or workmanship. Let the dealership & Jeep decide which one of the defects it is, fix the body and replace the Mopar Rock Rail.

Then once fixed, I'd sell those rails, and get some frame mounted rails, as you are obviously a rock hound... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ya know, if it was me, I'd go back to the dealership. Like Panthermark said, "...you were using the vehicle the way it was meant (and advertised) to be used"

Heck, it's called a "Rubicon Edition", not a "Rubicon-Bypass Edition".

To me, that is either a defect in materials, design or workmanship. Let the dealership & Jeep decide which one of the defects it is, fix the body and replace the Mopar Rock Rail.

Then once fixed, I'd sell those rails, and get some frame mounted rails, as you are obviously a rock hound... :thumb:
I would not do this. I mean if you got a dent in your bumper would would consider that defect?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are going to want not just a rocker protector by a ture slider that mounts to the frame. LOD Shrockworks White knock off road VKS fab. TJM Poison spyder
Great aggressive selection, thx. How about ARB-less aggressive but good strong protection?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Might as well ask them to replace your undercarriage armor as well. I mean, I am sure its bent if you are a "rock hound". Ask them if you can have them repaint any of the scratches you may have on your axles or wheels. Have them replace the carpet from your shoes touching that as well. You might as well tell them it got dirty when you drove it off the lot and you bought a clean one and you would like Jeep to keep it in the same clean state.
Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Might as well ask them to replace your undercarriage armor as well. I mean, I am sure its bent if you are a "rock hound". Ask them if you can have them repaint any of the scratches you may have on your axles or wheels. Have them replace the carpet from your shoes touching that as well. You might as well tell them it got dirty when you drove it off the lot and you bought a clean one and you would like Jeep to keep it in the same clean state.
Ridiculous.
This is even more hilarious becasue I know you and your Jeep!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
This is the enhanced slider with the step? If so its a bad design...if the rock hits he step it pushes the flat bar up and in to the body.
I think the bad design aspect is that it is attached to the body and not the frame. It's designed to take mild contact or "slide" over rocks. It's not designed to take the weight of your vehicle as it bounces on a boulder.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Great aggressive selection, thx. How about ARB-less aggressive but good strong protection?
The pictures I post were I ones I was considering.

ARB makes great strong products. This is the best picture I could find showing how they are mounted. They do mount to the frame.

I ended up going with the TJM sliders for the mount of coverage they provide. I would describe them as mini boat sliders as they not only protect the rocker by also cover most of the frame.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ask and ye may recieve.

I would not do this. I mean if you got a dent in your bumper would would consider that defect?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Why would you not want to ask?
A dent in the bumper would not damage the body, because the bumper is attached to the frame. Unless someone got in a major collision, then yeah, it might be difficult to go into the dealership with a bent frame, and ask them to fix the body and the bumper...

:rofl2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
The pictures I post were I ones I was considering. ARB makes great strong products. This is the best picture I could find showing how they are mounted. They do mount to the frame. I ended up going with the TJM sliders for the mount of coverage they provide. I would describe them as mini boat sliders as they not only protect the rocker by also cover most of the frame.
The TJM sliders are very nice and for the money you can't beat them!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Why would you not want to ask?
A dent in the bumper would not damage the body, because the bumper is attached to the frame. Unless someone got in a major collision, then yeah, it might be difficult to go into the dealership with a bent frame, and ask them to fix the body and the bumper...

:rofl2:
In all of the commercials for jeeps I have not seen them drop it on a slider. Saying/advertising offroad use does not constitute dropping it on rocks.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Mopar rails. If playing on rocks you definitely want a frame mount. Some also do weld mount (I think EVO?). I went with Fab Fours sliders/rocker panel. It is a single piece that both frame and body mounts. It covers the entire seam in many pounds of steel boatside from rocker to frame and gives a nice ledge that works as a solid step. Spendy and involved putting a lot of holes in my Jeep to attach the rocker piece at the top to the body, but I know when I bring the weight of my Jeep down on them, worst I am walking away with is some scratches in the powder coating. Each side is literally a side "bumper".

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It appears we need to look maybe at Schrockguards if we are going to play on the rocks.
I was not aware the MOPARs were NOT mounted to the frame.....
Jeep, ShrockWorks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts