Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Commercial Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m not a spark plugologist but these thing don’t seem to be aligned. Does that matter?

Also the plug I pulled out isn’t the same plug I’m putting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was buying oem type plugs online tonight from here:

Search Results | Mopar Parts Counter

and noticed there was a "China" option which has been discontinued at some point, on that website. The other option looked to be a routine part which is $11. Makes me wonder about all the low cost plugs people are finding on Banazon, FascistBook, etc.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
It’s a lot of work to change plugs so I would go with the proper factory original plugs. Purchased from the dealer or an official Mopar site.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I threw an upgraded set of plugs in my old XJ when it was due for its first set- pre-gapped Bosch Iridium plugs. They were costly compared to the OEM Champions, had a bit of sticker shock at the parts counter. I pulled them 60,000 km later to see f they needed replacement during routine maintenance, and the gaps were the same, the plugs were clean, and the electrodes still looked perfect. I threw them back in and drove on.

I suppose if you want to lengthen the interval for changing the plugs on a JK (which doesn't have the plugs in quite as accessible a spot), it wouldn't hurt to go with a premium alternative over OEM.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
You can see the cross-reference from the Mopar SP149125AE part number to Champion here:

Reactions: Bmaez

·
Commercial Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can see the cross-reference from the Mopar SP149125AE part number to Champion here:

Thanks!! Guess they’re the same.

·
Commercial Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a lot of work to change plugs so I would go with the proper factory original plugs. Purchased from the dealer or an official Mopar site.

Those are Mopar from the dealer 16 each.

·
Commercial Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I threw an upgraded set of plugs in my old XJ when it was due for its first set- pre-gapped Bosch Iridium plugs. They were costly compared to the OEM Champions, had a bit of sticker shock at the parts counter. I pulled them 60,000 km later to see f they needed replacement during routine maintenance, and the gaps were the same, the plugs were clean, and the electrodes still looked perfect. I threw them back in and drove on.

I suppose if you want to lengthen the interval for changing the plugs on a JK (which doesn't have the plugs in quite as accessible a spot), it wouldn't hurt to go with a premium alternative over OEM.
Those were Mopar at 16 a peice. If your saying Bosch is costly, I’m afraid to ask.

What’s funny is I asked the parts guy what the difference between mopar and champion and he said, “I wouldn’t put Champion in my lawnmower”.

I’m at 80K and my plugs are burnt. I don’t think 100k is an accurate interval.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Those were Mopar at 16 a peice. If your saying Bosch is costly, I’m afraid to ask.

What’s funny is I asked the parts guy what the difference between mopar and champion and he said, “I wouldn’t put Champion in my lawnmower”.

But doesn’t Champion make the Mopar plug? 🤨

·
Commercial Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is at 86k. I’m not sure if you can see but that top peice is less than half thickness.

·
Registered
6 Posts

What a dick. Champion makes the best lawnmower spark plugs. I suppose one can have a certain amount of success with Champion plugs or else they wouldn't still be in business, but my experience does not bear this out. In carburetted engines AC or Autolite last longer and are far less likely to foul. Edelbrock had a recommendation for Champion with its heads (big block Chevy, 11.5:1, twin Dominators) and they were awful. For computer engines I have never had a failure or poor life from NGK.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What's amazing is I just replaced the originals in my 11 GC at 163k (not my fault, just bought it from my brother in law) and they looked almost identical to the ones above with half the miles.

I paid $14 each for them from my local Chrysler dealer with my discount.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have always used NGK plugs in all my vehicles.

Reactions: zgfiredude

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

Keep in mind that the parts guy works a low paying parts counter job. That is probably because he is not highly qualified at other things. If he were a highly skilled and qualified mechanic, he would probably be out in the shop repairing vehicles.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If you all have an Advanced Auto Parts store nearby, they sell the correct Campion Plugs for $8.49. You can buy them on-line from them too.

advanced plugs.JPG

·
Registered
504 Posts
But the OEMs (for at least the older JK's, like my '12) are not iridium, right? I'd like to go with iridium, but with the Lifetime warranty, I need to stick with OEM

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
But the OEMs (for at least the older JK's, like my '12) are not iridium, right? I'd like to go with iridium, but with the Lifetime warranty, I need to stick with OEM
In my 2013 JKU, the plugs are iridium. When I changed the factory plugs, the factory plugs that I removed were the same iridium model that Champion said my Jeep required. I just looked on the Champion web site and your 2012 takes the same iridium plugs as the 2013.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
73,747 Posts
As already mentioned, this is not a easy replacement. So just purchase them from your Jeep Dealer. Make sure that the gap is correct.

·
Super Moderator
15,801 Posts
Since it is such a hassle to change them, I would stay with a premium plug for sure. It looks like the OEM is a Champion 9407 (Mopar SP149125AE) and I would use those or an NGK 9723 Laser. Both are rated for 80-100k miles. Some Iridiums are only rated for 60k miles... I think this is an important spec to look for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts