Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the MOPAR OEM LED lights on my 2014, but I’m running into a couple of problems. One they flicker which apparently is a dealer fix. And two the QC seems to be off. The right trim ring on the right one is bent slightly out of the box (2nd one now with bent up ring) and the left one has what appears to be a couple of fingerprints on the inside on the chrome reflector. Trying to decide if these are worth it or if I should return and go JW Speaker J2? Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
In your case I would go JW speaker, plug and play.

I have experience with both, my son's Jeep have the JW 8700 and I have the factory Mopar that came with my Jeep. The JW seems to me to have a bit better light spread and bit brighter.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Mopar lights and I have no plans to replace it but if I have to choose I'd get the JW.

Plus I think they look better, our Jeeps below:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I run JWS and have friends who run MOPAR. I personally haven't seen a QC problem with either one and I think they're both nice lights.

As far as the flicker, JWS has anti flicker built into the light. They're literally plug and play. I understand the dealer will charge you for a flash to control the flicker in the MOPARs.

I stick with JWS because I had to warranty a light once. One of the vertical lights went out not long after install. I was told to send both lights in. It was painless. Roughly a week and I had two brand new lights in the mail. I have yet to hear how MOPAR deals with warranty issues. Speaking of the warranty, JWS makes you go through the dealer you bought the lights from. If you go that route make sure you use a known good dealer and not some random Amazon shop. I bought mine from Northridge 4x4. NR was great to work with.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
might check this out to see if it as anti flicker function.
I currently have mopar led from factory and really like them as I do a lot of night driving and they to me have a better pattern for long term driving than either my previous Trucklites which I really liked as well and had more of a beam but also had more of a hotspot. My buddy who I wheel with a lot had JW's and he never complained about his. I know when parked side by side they are close but I never drove his rig at night. I think any anti-flicker module would work but if you don't want a module you could try this.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/ios-and-android-programmer-even-disables-sway-bar-light-2350985.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I wasn’t expecting to have these issues. Although I guess Mopar QC shouldn’t surprise me...had to replace the seat belt and it took 3 tries to get one that wasn’t damaged out of the bag. I have the JScan app and it’s not eliminating the flicker. Dealer here wants $90-180 to flash and program the TIPM. Ouch. I’m ordering thru Quadratec and they’ve been great. Probably going with the 8700 J2s and their brackets since mine are probably loose now. Be returning the MOPAR LEDs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone mount the JWs with the JW plastic mounting bucket? It’s distorting my trim rings really bad. Like the trim ring mounting tabs are 2-3mm too short.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not to highjack the thread - I have the QTec LED’s made for them by JWS and am pleased with how they have performed so far - about 9 months to date. An oil lamp with a good wick far exceeds the factory lights on my 2015 JKU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the JW speaker J2. But the stock buckets were damaged when I tried the OEM LEDs. So I got the JW buckets, but they don’t work well. The light and trim rings drop right into the stock bucket. Aftermarket isn’t true and it tweaks the rings bad. Sigh. So I’m either in $400 for new stock lights and call it good or in $1000 for stock buckets and LEDs. Ugh

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just picked up the JW J2 and blown away by it. I’m coming from the stock lights too. I went to see about getting the MOPAR ones but after seeing and hearing the price point I was swayed away and ordered the JW off Amazon. 5 minute install and 10 minute adjustment had me on my way

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Trucklite is the way I would go.
heated if you're in the snow belt.
I bought JW tail lights and the quality sucks.
Plastic housings cracked in the first three months and JW say, housing not warranted.
JW sucks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trucklite is the way I would go.
heated if you're in the snow belt.
I bought JW tail lights and the quality sucks.
Plastic housings cracked in the first three months and JW say, housing not warranted.
JW sucks

Which is weird being Quadratec shows they’re lifetime warranty. I’ve heard the CS at JW seems hit or miss. That sucks. I like the MOPAR LEDs but didn’t like pulling the buckets and the dealer flash that doesn’t always seem to fix the issue.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You must have the older Mopar units. The ones that came stock on the 2017 Sahara and Rubicons are a one piece unit with a built in bucket the trim right is decorative. To install them, you would have to remove the original headlight bucket and then the Mopar lights snap onto the three studs that held the bucket. They are market L and R as the mounts are different on the two sides.

There were earlier Mopar LED lights that were strictly an aftermarket upgrade item.

From my experience with the latter OEM Mopar LEDs they are great. I recently replaced a pair of Hella lights that replaced the original sealed beams on my TJ. The Hellas were an improvement but when Quadratec had a sale on their GenII LEDs (non heated) I jumped at the opportunity. They are even better than the Mopars on high beam and equal to the great Mopar beams on low beam. While the lights have the H4 electrical connector, for the JK they come with a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) module which has an H13 input pigtail to connect to the JK and an H4 pigtail to connect to the headlight. (The ones for the CJ/TJ are slightly cheaper as no PWM is needed).

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/gen-II-led-headlights-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Yeah I wasn’t expecting to have these issues. Although I guess Mopar QC shouldn’t surprise me...had to replace the seat belt and it took 3 tries to get one that wasn’t damaged out of the bag. I have the JScan app and it’s not eliminating the flicker. Dealer here wants $90-180 to flash and program the TIPM. Ouch. I’m ordering thru Quadratec and they’ve been great. Probably going with the 8700 J2s and their brackets since mine are probably loose now. Be returning the MOPAR LEDs.

Curious, are these the actual MOPAR LEDs or possible Chinesseum knock offs.
I have the OEM LEDs 0 issues. Very bright and no flicker what so ever.
PS if the LED option is not programmed from the dealer there can be issues. I have heard that the JScan does not always work to remove flicker. A friend of mine has 2 Jeeps in which he replaced headlights with non oem LEDs and the JScan reduced flicker but by no means stopped it totally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
At idle low beams OEM LEDs no flicker. Generally at low rpm and in a video you will see LEDs flicker but not the factory programmed LED.
Apparently I can’t attach a video to show you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curious, are these the actual MOPAR LEDs or possible Chinesseum knock offs.
I have the OEM LEDs 0 issues. Very bright and no flicker what so ever.
PS if the LED option is not programmed from the dealer there can be issues. I have heard that the JScan does not always work to remove flicker. A friend of mine has 2 Jeeps in which he replaced headlights with non oem LEDs and the JScan reduced flicker but by no means stopped it totally.

Genuine MOPAR LEDs. I sent them back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a set of the later model OEM LED’s and LOVE THEM. I did have a local dealer flash the Jeep for flickering issues, though. I can actually see on these Farm Roads at night so that makes it worth it to me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The light output on the newer OEM ones is great. But the flicker was annoying and I was leery of the dealer flash working or not. Plus for the money I wasn’t too happy with the minor defects.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Which is weird being Quadratec shows they’re lifetime warranty. I’ve heard the CS at JW seems hit or miss. That sucks. I like the MOPAR LEDs but didn’t like pulling the buckets and the dealer flash that doesn’t always seem to fix the issue.
Thinking the OEM's might be produced by JW.
In any case, try the JScan app to fix the issues with the flickering/pulsing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts