Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Custom JEEP Decals
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i have a new problem with my wrangler. just replaced a bad caliper that had chewed up brand new pads and slice into a new rotor on the right front side. got new pads and now she pulls hard to the left under braking. i bled the brakes twice. what gives?? and also, when i offroad and lose forward momentum and start going backwards, my brake pedal gets stiff and i lose all braking power. any and all help is appreciated.
on a non-related issue, it sounds like something is loose in the back end of my wrangler, whenever i go over a bump it sounds like the lower control arms could be loose. i tightened hem but now the problem came back...
Thomas

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Which side caliper did you replace? (I generally think it a good idea to replace both, to keep things symetrical, and keep braking forces as close to equal as possible.)

I assume your engine is still running when you are going backwards?

Its possible the rear shoes (particularly the auto adjuster) could be installed incorrectly...causing it to auto adjust the rear shoes inward when you go backwards, but I don't see it as a likely cause.

Brakes don't know if you are going forward or backward, as a rule...except for above thing.

lack of braking issue only happens when moving backwards?

regarding the LCA bolts. I'd replace the bolts, its possible that you could have over torqued them (or someone else might have in the past). I've seen this on other vehicles, where once the bolts have been overtorqued they won't hold a torque...bolts stretch. Then tighten the new bolts to OEM spec with a Torque wrench... (I'm assuming that tightening them last time fixed your noise)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Chances are from the extreme heat of your seized caliper the soft rubber brake line collasped internally. Like mrcarcrazy said you should replace in pairs. I'd replace the other caliper and BOTH soft brake hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts