Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Custom JEEP Decals
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had issues with my lower left control arm on my d30 for a while. I thought the control arm mount was crap, but after 3 seperate welds, still tears. and now I just noticed that the control arm ripped completely off at the mount...is the control arm longer/shorter than the other one and causing this? Id measure it out now, but im at work till 10p. Lemme know!

ForumRunner_20120125_163257.jpg

ForumRunner_20120125_163318.jpg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Even if your control arms were different lengths it wouldn't be causing the mount to rip off. You would just have a bad alignment and throw off your steering. The stock mounts are very weak and some have them fall apart doing very mild trails. Don't weld it back on. Get a replacement. Are any of your front control arms adjustable? If they are you can replace them with any universal mount, if not you will have to get Wrangler specific mounts(more expensive) for the camber bolts. Most places only sell it pairs, also it is a good idea to replace both because if the new mount's hole is in a slightly different spot from your stock right mount you may have alignment problems. Also why would you keep it if your other one was so weak to just fall off.

·
Custom JEEP Decals
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if your control arms were different lengths it wouldn't be causing the mount to rip off. You would just have a bad alignment and throw off your steering. The stock mounts are very weak and some have them fall apart doing very mild trails. Don't weld it back on. Get a replacement. Are any of your front control arms adjustable? If they are you can replace them with any universal mount, if not you will have to get Wrangler specific mounts(more expensive) for the camber bolts. Most places only sell it pairs, also it is a good idea to replace both because if the new mount's hole is in a slightly different spot from your stock right mount you may have alignment problems. Also why would you keep it if your other one was so weak to just fall off.
thanks for the thorough reply. yes the arms are all adjustable. what brand would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
TJe0454 said:
and the tube is 2" right?
I believe the stock d30 is 2.25". Can pull out a caliper to check. Check out ballisticfabrication.com, ruffstuffspecialties.com, or genright.com for the brackets. Also for the first two you can use a coupon for at least 10% off.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
x2

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It's 2.5"

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
so what could be the cause of this? you said a bad alignment. that means toe in/out right? i did have this same issue (driver sd lower mount) on my previous axle (had 3.07s, i now have 3.73s).
The tierod is responsible for toe. Different length control arms will change you castor. Will also change your pinion angle.

Oh, and a bad alignment most likely isn't the cause. The stock mounts are weak. So are the stock arms(they actually flex under heavy use) . My guess would be the aftermarket control arms and stiff bushings on them. The mount gave before the bushing flexed.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
These are the best price, come in 2.5", and are four sided. I got all my axle brackets from them for my axle swap.

Lower Axle Link Brackets

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
good stuff. what degree offset should i get?
5* angle would be the closest. Oh and some have complained that they are too big. If you think they are just take a grinder to them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts