Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is fast approaching and i need ideas for a better heater.. does swapping out blower motor actually work? Also does flushing the hole heater core work...could buy portable heater and mount it lol...ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I'd begin by servicing the cooling system.

1- look at all your radiator and heater hoses. Look for swollen and squishy areas. Also look for dry and cracked hoses. Plan on replacing any that look even questionable. The lower radiator hose often gets overlooked.
Go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of cooling system flush and a couple gallons of anti-freeze. I suggest you go to your local Jeep dealer and buy a 195* thermostat & gasket. If you don't feel like buying an OE thermostat, at least require the parts store sell you a 195* Stant brand thermostat.
How old is your water pump? Look at the little hole under where the shaft comes out of the water pump. If it shows any sign of dripping, plan on replacing it too. If you have any suspicions about your water pump, now is the time to replace it.

2- Add the can of cooling system flush and drive the Jeep through a couple (or few) up to operating temp and cool off cycles.

3- Drain the old coolant and discard it properly. Animals are attracted to coolant and it will kill them if they drink it.

4- Disconnect the heater hoses from the thermostat housing and the block. Stick the nozzle of your garden hose in the open end of one of the hoses and let the water run for a while. Then, stick the nozzle in the open end of the other heater hose and run the water until it comes out clean.

5- Remove the thermostat housing and disconnect the lower radiator hose. Stick the garden hose in the thermostat opening and run the water until it comes out the lower radiator hose clean.

6- It may be overkill, but if you have the time, remove the radiator and turn it upside down. Run the water in through the lower hose opening until it comes out clean. If you don't remove the radiator, at least run water through the top until it comes out clean.

7- Put everything back together, paying attention to cleaning both surfaces of the block and thermostat housing. Also pay close attention to how the thermostat goes back.
Add a gallon of anti-freeze and then a gallon of water. Pour half of the second gallon into the empty first container and fill both to the top with water. You'll have a 50/50 mix in the motor and two gallons of 50/50 coolant mix. Top off the cooling system and leave the radiator cap off.
Start the Jeep and watch the open neck of the radiator. The coolant level will drop as the engine warms up and the coolant circulates the air pockets out. Top off the radiator until it won't take any more.

8- If your old coolant was dark, remove the overflow bottle and dump it. You can clean it some by putting a handful of gravel in it along with some dish detergent and water. Shake it so that the gravel will chip the discolored crud off the inside of the coolant bottle. Dump the gravel, rinse the bottle and reinstall it. Fill it to the mark with your 50/50 mix.

9- Watch the coolant level in the overflow bottle for the next week if your Jeep is a daily driver. Top off the bottle as necessary.

If the above doesn't give you enough heat, put your top and doors back on. (JK).
I rarely run my heater fan on HI. Once the interior is comfortable ( 4 or 5 highway miles) I usually have the heat adjusted for the outside temp and the fan on LO.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
You may have an aftermarket heater core. We never know what a PO might have done in the years prior to our ownership.
I had a little seepage from my stock heater core. I bought an aftermarket heater core to replace it. The aftermarker heater core was a poor fit and had a different shaped tank than the brass and copper original core. Plus, the core it self was smaller. I doubt that it would give me as much heat as my original.
The frame on the aftermarket core wasn't positioned properly and the attaching screws rubbed on the tank (a problem waiting to happen). I took the original core to a radiator shop. They boiled the core clean and resoldered the neck for $50.00. That was 3 years ago and all has been well since.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I had my Jeep for 10 years (10 years in NorthEast winters) before I found out there was a missing heater duct that blows towards the drivers side. Make sure you have all the ducts! Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts