Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to gain some HP. Any gain by removing AC? Seems like it would only reduce HP when in use. Am I correct in this thinking?

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
The AC uses very little horse power. You would never notice the difference. The best bang for the buck to get noticeable power gains is to regear.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
From your prior posts, it looks like you have 33” tires on a TJ. If that’s the case, I am guessing you desperately need to regear

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
The only way to increase horsepower, is to pull that anemic 3.6 out and slip in a Cummins 😊

·
Registered
2017 JKUR 3.5" MC Kit
380 Posts
The AC uses very little horse power. You would never notice the difference. The best bang for the buck to get noticeable power gains is to regear.
Doesn't the regear impact torque favorably but hp negatively?

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
Doesn't the regear impact torque favorably but hp negatively?
Not really, the gear ratio multiplies both torque and horsepower. So a shorter gear, higher ratio number, multiplies both torque and horsepower more than a taller gear, lower ratio number.
Technically horsepower is just a calculated value anyway.
It would lower the theoretical top speed, but we aren’t going to be anywhere near there with a Jeep.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I'm trying to gain some HP. Any gain by removing AC? Seems like it would only reduce HP when in use. Am I correct in this thinking?
I read an article once which claimed the AC uses about the same amount of energy as running with the windows open on the highway. In other words.... not much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts