Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
AKA "A Jeep Wrangler and several cars you thought had ended production a couple years back."

In all fairness, a Wrangler doesn't make for a very good "car".

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
JKs are still one or two on most resale value lists.... But consumer reports have never liked Jeeps, or any fiat for that matter. Two very different subjects and reporting methods. It seems the two should correlate but they don't.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Consumer Distorts is for appliance buyers. If driving is just something you do to get to work or whatever then its fine. If you have a soul, its worthless.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That small bit they wrote doesn't really say anything bad about the Wrangler IMO. They actually mention how capable they are at what they're designed for but somehow it ends up on their "Cars to Avoid" list... makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My JK is my daily driver. I don't care that it isn't a high tech robot. Its a beast and when we get terrible weather, and we do, no number of high def rear view cameras or in dash GPS will save you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wrangler sales have been increasing dramatically and continually during the last 6 years - seems to be an inverse correlation between CR's recommendation and actual sales. CR does not remotely understand the attraction, fun, or functionality of a jeep. I've owned Acura, Infiniti, and BMW. My Jeep is the favorite!

·
Registered
147 Posts
So...when was the last time you saw a nerd with a pocket protector (ie: those who work at Consumer Reports) driving a Jeep? What those evaluators do not take into account is what Jeep means to those who DO drive them...a fun driving experience, off-roading capabilities, bottomless opportunities to customize, and so on. Most importantly, the HERITAGE of Jeep and what it has meant to those who have owned and driven them since 1941.

So...who pays attention to rankings that would have had the Toyota Camry at the top of their list for a decade had they been reviewing cars a few years ago?
In the end, who gives a crap what Consumer Reports thinks? :pcwhack:

·
Registered
133 Posts
In all fairness, a Wrangler doesn't make for a very good "car".
Exactly. How useful can the ratings be if they're lumping the Wrangler in with the Mirage, Spark, TC and Yaris? In philosophy, that would be called a category error.

One of these things is not like the other ones.

·
Super Moderator
10,613 Posts
Consumer Reports must be pissed off that every time they print this list, Wrangler sales grow.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
CR is geared towards your average, suburban commuter/family buyer that sees there car a nothing more than transportation. Minivans, sedans and such will get high rating because they do that kind of stuff well. Jeeps are a niche markets, like Harleys, Corvettes and 3/4 ton pickups. They each have a purpose and they do it well.

If you want bland, vanilla, four door sedans and minivans, CR is your place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Consumer Distorts is for appliance buyers. If driving is just something you do to get to work or whatever then its fine. If you have a soul, its worthless.
This is the gospel truth. My JKU is my daily driver, if I can get to it before the women folk do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Our JKU is our daily driver and our only 'car'. Yes, it rides a little more roughly, and it uses a bit more gas, than the '14 Cherokee Trailhawk we traded in on it, but the front seats are just as comfortable, the rear storage is larger and the 5 sped tranny is smoother and much more reliable than the Cherokee's ridiculous 9 speed. We love our Wrangler and should have bought one in '14 instead of the Cherokee. - Ted

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Consumer Distorts is for appliance buyers.
They aren't even good for that. Here in CT, our local news has segments from CR. So one day they are testing those little blenders you use to make smoothies. They single out one and say don't buy it because it failed when trying to crush a full load of ice cubes. They contact the manufacturer for comment. The manufacturer states 'our blender isn't meant to crush ice - it says so on the packaging and in big bold letters in the manual'. CR stands by their test because they say it's a good test. So, the blender gets a bad rap from CR because it failed when doing something it wasn't designed to do, or advertised to do. What a shame CR is.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Our JKU is our daily driver and our only 'car'. Yes, it rides a little more roughly, and it uses a bit more gas, than the '14 Cherokee Trailhawk we traded in on it, but the front seats are just as comfortable, the rear storage is larger and the 5 sped tranny is smoother and much more reliable than the Cherokee's ridiculous 9 speed. We love our Wrangler and should have bought one in '14 instead of the Cherokee. - Ted
On that note, I hate all these damn gears. I miss the old 4 speeds. My six speed f150 is always searching for a gear I can't imagine having 9 how annoying.
Who cares about consumer reports. You have to admit on paper it doesn't match up to some other offerings. The jk tops every report for off-road and that's all that matters right? Because if the doors and tops didn't come off and without the jeep lifestyle no one would actually buy a 40k midsize SUV with terrible mpg, no leather or navigation. I hate the way the stock 16 rubicon drove when I test drove it but I want one anyway! I thought wow how could this thing be 40k and then remembered that when I'm on top of a mountain with the doors off overlooking the ocean having a picnic with my kids and dogs it's worth every last penny.
I've always wanted one and I'm getting one regardless of what any "analyst" thinks is a good buy.

·
Super Moderator
10,613 Posts
They aren't even good for that. Here in CT, our local news has segments from CR. So one day they are testing those little blenders you use to make smoothies. They single out one and say don't buy it because it failed when trying to crush a full load of ice cubes. They contact the manufacturer for comment. The manufacturer states 'our blender isn't meant to crush ice - it says so on the packaging and in big bold letters in the manual'. So, the blender gets a bad rap from CR because it failed when doing something it wasn't designed to do, or marketed to do. What a shame CR is.
Indeed. Its "10 Vehicles to Avoid" annual list similarly dings Wrangler for failing to be a Camry.

But there are lots of people who need CR to tell them that a Wrangler is not a Camry. You see them everywhere...driving like drones...in, what else... Camrys.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Indeed. Its "10 Vehicles to Avoid" annual list similarly dings Wrangler for failing to be a Camry. But there are lots of people who need CR to tell them that a Wrangler is not a Camry. You see them everywhere...driving like drones...in, what else... Camrys.
Kinda like the same people who need a coffee cup to tell them it's hot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Exactly. How useful can the ratings be if they're lumping the Wrangler in with the Mirage, Spark, TC and Yaris? In philosophy, that would be called a category error.

One of these things is not like the other ones.
I plotted on a Jeep for almost two years. Car dealer friend of mine said don't bother if I've never driven one. So, I drove several, still had the bug and knew exactly what I was getting into. CR is doing a disservice on this. You are exactly right, one of these is not like the others. If Sesame Street gets it, you'd think the egg heads would too, but alas, not.

It's my daily driver and I get it dirty every chance I get. I constantly find myself thinking, "If I wanted to I could drive right across that spot right there and never even check up...but then I'd get arrested too....but I can do it....not legal, but....." I know I'm not alone in that. Can't be.

Jeeps are what Jeeps are and people who try to make them out to be what they are not are just wasting their breath and time.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts