Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe a dumb question but is there anyway to obtain more power out of the 2.5 4 bangers? It does ok around town but highway and freeway shes a dog,running lift and 33s,95yj stock.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
have you regeared it? Running 4.88 gears will get ya back some of that power loss with the larger tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts
well you could either take the covers off of the diff and count the teeth on the ring and gear or count the rotation of your driveshaft is a good way to determining what you may have.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
any number of 4WD shops down there... Joe @ Absolute Off-Road(in PHX) would be the first to check with as he is a forum sponsor, and for other locals there is 4-Wheel Parts, DesertRat, and 4Wheel Supply. AS for e-tailors, 4x4GroupBuy.com, Quadratec, RedRock4x4, and Northridge4x4.

Gears usually arn't too much though, usually about $150-200 depending on the brand... and usually ~$300 for installs I think.

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I like turbos more :D BTW how many psi can the Avenger SC boost up to? 4.5-5psi is really not much.
Turbos are great but a supercharger is waaaay more practical for the low revving motor. A supercharger has instant power boosting all throughout the RPM range, while a turbo has to spool up before it hits its power band. Turbos are great for little high revving hondas and stuff, but turbo on a jeep motor wouldn't have enough time to spool before you redline and have to shift, added to the fact I've never had my Jeep above 4500 RPMs or rather I've never needed to get the engine that high. Most 'built' cars can do twice that. this is just MHO.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Turbos are great for little high revving hondas and stuff, but turbo on a jeep motor wouldn't have enough time to spool before you redline and have to shift, added to the fact I've never had my Jeep above 4500 RPM
I''ve had my jeep up to redline. When you step on it the shift light goes out and later it actally turns on at like 4900ish:) I loved it when i didnt have tailpipe... you can hear the air ripping through the muffler Now i want to install a 2.5-2.75 tail pipe and see if it sounds similar again :D

I agree for the turbos they are great for high rpm motors but also what you can do is use a smaller turbine (exhaust side of turbo not compressor) so it spools up at lower rpm and since the engine is 5k redline it wont over spin it or flood the wastegate.

I love SC also but for daily driving its going to break the gas pump.

Makes my knees weak Video - Supra with the BIG turbo. Its a supra not a mustang btw

1 - 11 of 11 Posts