Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
I've seen and heard good things. I'll be getting a pair for myself soon enough too. One thing I do know-You should get some self etching primer and touch up spray in your Jeeps color to put on prior to these hinges. From the factory, most of the tailgate space under the factory hinges is just primed, or barely painted at all. It looks really bad, and since these are smaller and have holes, you'll want to avoid rust, and it will just look better.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
33" duratracs aren't much heavier than stock tires. I would not worry about the hinges.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have the hinges and the reinforcing assembly and I am very happy with the product. I have Nitto Trail Grapplers and the wheel weights around 95 lbs. I think the stock spare weights around 54 lbs so I decided to go with a more heavy duty set up before I had any spot welds break. The hinges and reinforcing assembly are very heavy duty.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I bought them through Retrofit Hinges. Bought the whole kit and kaboodle:

Heavy Duty JK Tailgate Hinges Reinforcement Kit | Retrofit Offroad

Love them! Closer to a stock looks than many choices out there. Less expensive and still quite sturdy.
I didn't mention it before because I wanted to see how the customer service worked out. In addition to the hinges, support and carrier I also bought a Hi-Lift jack mount. When I got it the base of my jack didn't fit inside the base and I had to cut one side of it off and run a bolt through the jack and base to hold it together for a run that weekend. MORryde was very interested in how that could be and asked for measurements. It took me a while to get them measurements but once I did I had a new base within a week. GREAT customer service and a really nice product.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
33" duratracs aren't much heavier than stock tires. I would not worry about the hinges.
I'm running 315/75/16 Duratracs on the stock hinges. It's been three years, and they are doing ok. If I had to do it again I would have opted for a tire carrier on the bumper, I'm still considering it.

It's not that the tire is bad where it is, it just isn't great. I upgraded to the Teraflex carrier last summer but not the hinge. Having the tire closer to the tailgate is nice, but it just feels 'weighty'.

On anything older than 2012 I would still upgrade though, the 07-11 have a different tailgate design inside that makes them a bit weaker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts