Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a shop install my exhaust spacers with my lift and there's a leak. I'm gonna have them try again to line it up right but I have a feeling that there will still be a gap at the end of the day. What's the best low cost option to fix the leak? By low cost, I mean less than the $275 y-pipe that everyone keeps mentioning. I'm thinking about having an exhuast shop just weld a piece of pipe into the driver's side (passenger side isn't leaking). Not trying to buy the y-pipe or an upgraded driveshaft.

I have a 2.5" Teraflex lift kit (side note - need to take it back to the shop anyways because they never tightened the shock bolts and the sway bar links were put in backwards :censored: like what???)

EDIT: Apparently there's no Y-pipe for 2 doors... so scratch that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Exhaust spacers are the least expensive option. I have heard of muffler shops fabricating a solution for about ˜$200. I gave up on exhaust spacers and bought the AFE Y-Pipe and full cat back exhaust. Much better solution.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.......alternative to exhaust spacers

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Synergy spacers. Teraflex has a different design style, and Rancho has a new exhaust pipe that can be installed. Outside of that or having them fab something up, I don't know of anything else....

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I've done the teraflex spacers and the Rancho y-pipe on my 2 door. Wasn't happy with the fitment of either option, both dropped the y-pipe well below the crossmember making it a rock magnet.

Cheapest option is the spacers. Most cost effective IMO is finding a good exhaust fab shop to give you just enough bend under the DS at full droop to clear while still keeping it above the lowest point on the crossmember. Most optimal solution is getting a smaller diameter front DS and keeping the stock y-pipe.

One member (Pismo I believe) has installed the magnaflow y-pipe on the 2 Door (#19211 if I recall correctly). He even posted of pics of the install. This routes the exhaust behind the crossmember similar to the AFE y-pipe for 4 Doors. I personally don't like that it sits practically against the gas tank and the tolerances are extremely tight, but it's an option if you'd rather go that route than a DS or spacers.

·
Registered
835 Posts
ALTERNATIVE?

Drive line!!!!!!!!

Reactions: aqualungs

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done the teraflex spacers and the Rancho y-pipe on my 2 door. Wasn't happy with the fitment of either option, both dropped the y-pipe well below the crossmember making it a rock magnet.

Cheapest option is the spacers. Most cost effective IMO is finding a good exhaust fab shop to give you just enough bend under the DS at full droop to clear while still keeping it above the lowest point on the crossmember. Most optimal solution is getting a smaller diameter front DS and keeping the stock y-pipe.

One member (Pismo I believe) has installed the magnaflow y-pipe on the 2 Door (#19211 if I recall correctly). He even posted of pics of the install. This routes the exhaust behind the crossmember similar to the AFE y-pipe for 4 Doors. I personally don't like that it sits practically against the gas tank and the tolerances are extremely tight, but it's an option if you'd rather go that route than a DS or spacers.
I'm just in a predicament because I drive back to school in less than 3 weeks and I've already spent way more than anticipated. I want a new DS in the future but right now it's just not the best option for me. Let's just hope the shop can get them reseated correctly. Fab shop will be my next step I guess, thank you.

Just one other option, have you ever seen anyone using this?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16031_3252_07.htm

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I'm just in a predicament because I drive back to school in less than 3 weeks and I've already spent way more than anticipated. I want a new DS in the future but right now it's just not the best option for me. Let's just hope the shop can get them reseated correctly. Fab shop will be my next step I guess, thank you.

Just one other option, have you ever seen anyone using this?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16031_3252_07.htm
That's the Rancho y-pipe I referenced in my post. It works, but it depends on how much you care about clearance below the crossmember.

Spacers will drop the passenger side below the crossmember, the rancho will drop the part under the DS driver's side below the crossmember. Depends on whether you plan to run a crossmember skid in the future, either option may not make that possible, even with skid spacers.

FWIW, Some people have wheeled either the spacers or the rancho with no I'll effects, just depends on your future plans and your comfort level with rock hits to the exhaust. If you do go the rancho route I would recommended getting it welded on if you plan on wheeling it (rather than using the included U-bolts).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the Rancho y-pipe I referenced in my post. It works, but it depends on how much you care about clearance below the crossmember.

Spacers will drop the passenger side below the crossmember, the rancho will drop the part under the DS driver's side below the crossmember. Depends on whether you plan to run a crossmember skid in the future, either option may not make that possible, even with skid spacers.

FWIW, Some people have wheeled either the spacers or the rancho with no I'll effects, just depends on your future plans and your comfort level with rock hits to the exhaust. If you do go the rancho route I would recommended getting it welded on if you plan on wheeling it (rather than using the included U-bolts).
Crap I'm so sorry, I totally read that as you tried Teraflex and Rancho spacers. :pc-ouch: Thanks for the help

·
Registered
910 Posts
One thing to keep in mind. If you used teraflex shocks on your 2 1/2 lift, you don't even need the exhaust spacers. They use fairly short shocks. But if you decide to get longer shocks in the future, then you will need them.

Reactions: tdashrom

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing to keep in mind. If you used teraflex shocks on your 2 1/2 lift, you don't even need the exhaust spacers. They use fairly short shocks. But if you decide to get longer shocks in the future, then you will need them.
I have the RS5000x shocks so I've assumed I need them. Just need the shop to fix what they :censored:ed up in the first place

·
Registered
910 Posts
I know when I first put spacers on that I needed to tighten them after each hot/cold cycle about 3 times. Been problem free for over 25k miles now.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know when I first put spacers on that I needed to tighten them after each hot/cold cycle about 3 times. Been problem free for over 25k miles now.
If the shop can't fix it I'll just have to try that I guess. Thank you :atomic:

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
What brand spacers did you go with?
From the description of issues you had after the shop did the install, it sounds like a problem with the shop and their lack of ability rather than an issue with the spacers.
I have the Teraflex spacers, no leaks, no issues. One day I will replace the drive shaft and remove the spacers, but until then the spacers work fine for me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What brand spacers did you go with?
From the description of issues you had after the shop did the install, it sounds like a problem with the shop and their lack of ability rather than an issue with the spacers.
I have the Teraflex spacers, no leaks, no issues. One day I will replace the drive shaft and remove the spacers, but until then the spacers work fine for me.
Synergy. Not the same design as the Teraflex ones unfortunately.

The shop also never tightened my front shocks and put the new sway bar links in the front, so yeah probably my issue there lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
two options: 1. just have the shop weld up the exhaust spacers before clamping it up. 2. Better option. remove the exhaust spacers and have the exhaust shop dent or reroute the original Y pipe to add clearance for the drive shaft. Easy and cheap.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Just got my TF 3 inch lift installed and the TF spacers don't leak. I'll probably spray the area black with some hi heat paint and call it good. I can't see them when I am driving anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
ALTERNATIVE?

Drive line!!!!!!!!

I held off on spacers due to the hit and miss leaks that some get and some don't. I'm saving for a driveshaft. With the cost of a y pipe, you're about halfway to the driveshaft. And the driveshaft will need to be done eventually. Buy once cry once, just keeps proving true for me and others. It's a great philosophy. Good luck with what you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts