Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been researching so much my brain is starting to fry. I think I'm narrowing it down though. Right now I'm running a '13 JK sport with 285/75r16 BFG KM2's. Swapped out coils with 17/58's and have 1" spacers front and back - that put me almost perfectly level sitting at about 2.75" lift. Also threw in Rubicon shocks and JKS 2.5-6" quick discos.

My issue is I just ordered Bilstein, Front, 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber (For 1.5"-3" Lift) - BIL-24146708 These are apparently about 15.3" compressed & 26.5" extended - advertised 11" travel. I am 99% sure if I disconnect with these on the 17/58's at full flex I'll be shooting coils all over the trail. I'm deciding between these replacement coils to hopefully eliminate that problem & fix my horribly rough ride:

Synergy Manufacturing 8063-10 - Synergy Manufacturing 1-2" Front Coil Springs for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Old Man Emu 2615 - Old Man Emu 2" Lift Front Light Load (0-90lbs) Coil Spring Pair for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Of course the corresponding rears also. Figure with these I can keep the amount of lift now which I'm happy with & not have to immediately order up some drive shafts also. Any advice for me?:beerdrinking:

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Another option is the Rock Krawler 1.5" Triple Rate coils. You well net about 2" of total lift and have a great ride. Both Synergy and OME are great too. Synergy's are one of the longest free length coils on the market.

I can give you a killer price on any of the 3.

-Dan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OME 2" springs with LT shocks and Terraflex LCA's. No rub, good flex and feels stock on the highway.
This is totally what I'm looking for. Just don't want to install CAs at all at the moment - gonna be super busy with a move end of the month for awhile

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The OME are your best choice if all you care about is not loosing your coils since they have a relatively soft spring rate which translates to a longer free length. But if you care more about ride, particularly when the going get's rough you are better off the RK coils. The RK coils are one of the best. :thumb:

The fact that you are frying your brain is actually a good thing because you have become aware of all the variables and dependencies that exist in proper suspension design. Many just conjure up their favorite parts together and go on their merry way … at least for a while. Ignorance is bliss. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The OME are your best choice if all you care about is not loosing your coils since they have a relatively soft spring rate which translates to a longer free length. But if you care more about ride, particularly when the going get's rough you are better off the RK coils. The RK coils are one of the best. :thumb: The fact that you are frying your brain is actually a good thing because you have become aware of all the variables and dependencies that exist in proper suspension design. Many just conjure up their favorite parts together and go on their merry way … at least for a while. Ignorance is bliss. :)
Exactly! Benefit of building everything up one part at a time. The ride I don't care so much about as long as it's better than it is now and I'm positive anything is better than this lol. I just want something I can flex without straps or anything

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I'm down to 2" OME or 1.5" RK triples. I wanna lean towards RK for price but how much shorter is their free length to the OME's?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You can add lower control arms anytime. I just did it with the LT shocks because David at Northridge gave me a great deal on them with the LT shocks and extended brake lines.

OME springs come in several rates. I've run HD, soft and medium spring rates on different rigs. Soft gives you most flex but the Jeep sways on high speed off ramps, HD gives the most lift but its a pretty rough ride.

I've got mediums in my 2012 2 door and it's a nice firm predictable ride without being harsh.

RK probably has different springs rates as well.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Ok so I'm down to 2" OME or 1.5" RK triples. I wanna lean towards RK for price but how much shorter is their free length to the OME's?
With an 11" travel shock like you're planning on running you should be fine with either coil, the RK you might just barely in seat them. The pics of the 1.5 with 37s and a long arm, he was only running 10" travel shocks Mine a about a year ago, 12.5" travel shocks, 2.5 1st generation springs, they unseated a good 4-5" granted the upper and lower shock mounts effectively Lowered my mounting points 2".

View attachment 1042369

Redid my upper and lower mounts up front to ri factory bump stops

View attachment 1042393

Now they barely unseat up front. Out back I'm not using a good 2" of shock travel because the rear springs are a little short even with the uppers relocated further up to run factory bumpstops only it flexes pretty good

View attachment 1042385

Front tire is about 40" off the ground, need to build an adjustable rear trac bar to keep the pinion outbid the fuel tank, should go all the way to 42-43"

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With an 11" travel shock like you're planning on running you should be fine with either coil, the RK you might just barely in seat them. The pics of the 1.5 with 37s and a long arm, he was only running 10" travel shocks Mine a about a year ago, 12.5" travel shocks, 2.5 1st generation springs, they unseated a good 4-5" granted the upper and lower shock mounts effectively Lowered my mounting points 2". Redid my upper and lower mounts up front to ri factory bump stops Now they barely unseat up front. Out back I'm not using a good 2" of shock travel because the rear springs are a little short even with the uppers relocated further up to run factory bumpstops only it flexes pretty good Front tire is about 40" off the ground, need to build an adjustable rear trac bar to keep the pinion outbid the fuel tank, should go all the way to 42-43"
Nice lookin rig! I just installed the bilsteins yesterday and couldn't be more happy, makes a huge difference over the rubicons. Noticed a huge difference in cornering/body roll and went 50mph down a really potholed dirt road, shocks handled great. Did a little flex on a random hill on the side of the road and I'm happy so far - definitely could have gone further - it was with the 18/58 coils so we'll see how the RK's are in a few weeks

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts