Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2741 - 2756 of 2756 Posts

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
The spacer based lifts, like what Allen posted, are an option. They will lift the thickness of the spacer, so whatever springs you have you will still have only it will ride that much taller. The first lift I tried was a spacer based lift. Eventually I went with a spring lift, and soon I will be going even further (coil overs). But a spacer lift is nice in that it lifts a given amount based on where you start.
The great thing about a spacer lift is that your spring rates don't change. But that can also be the worst thing about a spacer lift sometimes. But if you are happy with the stock spring rates....

I do think the Rancho 26 shock is too short for up front.
Agreed. Based on the current lift height with those springs and the lighter weight of the 2 dr, you should probably go to the 329/330 set. You could always bumpstop more if need be.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Somebody convince me that Fox 2.0s are worth the extra $s over Rancho 9000s. It appears that quality is better but function is more important to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
Somebody convince me that Fox 2.0s are worth the extra $s over Rancho 9000s. It appears that quality is better but function is more important to me.
If function is more important I would think you would be better off with the Rancho 9000's. I think you would have a better chance of finding the ride you want with the adjustable Rancho's. The Fox shocks are nice, and while it is possible that they would be just right for you it is more likely that they would either be a little to stiff or perhaps even a little too soft.
The quality matters to me, and if I was choosing between the two I would rather have the Fox shocks. But Rancho's work well, and while they aren't the greatest shocks they are probably the best value shocks.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,410 Posts
We sell and install both. Here is the brake down as I see it.

The Ranch's are nice. They are adjustable like @GuzziMoto said which goes a long way with them. That way, you can dial them into what YOU like.

The Fox are nice all around but non-adjustable. So, you get what you get... which most seem to think is nice. The other advantage of the Fox is they are aluminum so you wont ever have any rust issues.

I have ran both personally and like both. I think they are neck and neck. The cheaper price and the adjustablity when over in my book.

If we can help, please feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat guys I’ve tried to read everything I can on the topic. I just purchased my first jeep a 2017 Sahara smoky mountain addition unlimited. I also purchased the TeraFlex performance coil spring leveling kit. And I am on the fence about what shocks to add to this leveling kit. Right now I think I have it narrowed down to the falcon 2.1 or the fox 2.0.
I do have a background in off-road Ing but for the most part this will be a commuter vehicle mall crawler with the occasional fire Road light off roasting.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Referenced this thread a lot recently as I frankensteined a lift on a budget. Found several parts on FB marketplace although they were brand new still - Rancho control arm kit with adjustable uppers, Rough country 2.5" springs with the longer sway bar end links and rear track bar bracket. Then purchased the Rancho 5000 series shocks as mentioned in this thread, exhaust spacer kit, and teraflex bump stop kit new from various online sources. I'm fairly mechanic-savvy but never done suspension work before. Hardest part was the control arms, aside from that this install was a breeze thanks to this thread. Did tons of research so I knew what I was in for as I was slowly acquiring all of the parts and did it all in a weekend.

For tires I took a gamble and went the cheap route since I tried to do this on a really tight budget. I have a 75th anniversary model so I wanted to keep the wheels and found a set of 305/70/17s for $160/tire, they're called Road One Cavalry MTs. Not many reviews out there at all on them but I found out they're out of China and owned by Pirelli but cannot use the Pirelli name for some sort of licensing purposes however the manufacturing and quality is that of Pirelli. So far they look great, are very quiet for MTs, and handle wet conditions just fine (which I understand is an issue for some MTs).

The ride is noticeably better than factory. Steering loosened up a little and seems more sensitive now. Rear end felt a little stiff and bouncy until I installed an HD rear tire carrier to hold the larger tire and got some weight back there, that seemed to help. Had it aligned and she's all dialed in now. Looks way better than stock, I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. No way I could have done it without this thread so just wanted to say thanks to the OP

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

Rancho 9000 best bag for the buck. Dial them in for your particular rig and the feel you like and done. The beauty is if you Need to Tow a trailer, or carry lots of gear, you can stiffen the back ones up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Getting ready to pull the trigger on my lift and after trying to read as much of this thread as possible, just wanna make sure not hing has changed since it was first posted. I've heard nothing but great things about Teraflex and the Ranchos. What additional add ons should I get? Geo brackets seem like a huge plus. Oh by the way I have a 2017 JKU Big Bear Edition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The wait is over! Lift & new wheels/tires were installed today!

I've probably read every post in this thread 10 times over the past few months and today I had installed:

5 x 315/70 R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers w/ Pro Comp 7032s
4 x Rancho 9000 XL Shocks
Teraflex 2.5 inch lift w/ shocks
2 x Core 4x4 LCAs
RockKrawler JK Adjustable Front Track Bar
Teraflex exhuast spacer
Rugged Ridge 3rd brake light relocation bracket

Before and after pics attached.

In the "aftrer" pics, the rear might be sagging a bit because my takeoffs are shoved in the back of the jeep.

I am definitely pleased w/ the look and the ride so far but I am not loving the ProComp center caps (not installed so not in the pics).

Am I stuck w/ procomp caps? They are glossy w/ white letters and dont match the flat grey/black wheels. I will paint them if needed. I think a much smaller cap that just covered the very center would look much better.

Thanks to kjeeper10 for starting this thread and also everyone who contributed!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Allen - sent you a PM as well with the following questions. Want to make sure this will ride real tight and that I’ll have all the necessary parts for the install. Thanks in advance!

Jeep is ‘15 JKU Rubicon 6MT. Running Quadratec QRC front wide bumper. Plan to add winch in near future. Smittybilt side steps/sliders. Smittybilt XRC Gen1 rear bumper with tire carrier. All extra weight.

Looking to run a 2.5-3” lift to fit either 315/70/17 or 35/12.5/17 tires. Plan to get 17x8.5 or 17x9 with 4.5” backspacing. Eventually plan to get flat fenders as well. Plan to do moderate wheeling every 2-3 months, but for most part will be my DD on a 30-45 minute commute. I had a similar setup on a 2007 JKU Sport and loved the way it rode - 2” Mopar with Bilstein, 315/70 MTZ on 17x9 with 4.5” backspacing. Flatties. Similar bumpers to listed above.

Based on your website, here’s the setup I have initially laid out:
  • 2.5” lift kit no shocks (4dr)
  • Disconnects (if necessary)
  • YETI XD Adjustable Track Bar
  • Exhaust Spacer
  • Core4X4 Adj Front LCA Set Tier 2
  • Rancho 9000XL 999329/999331 and 999330 (see question below)
  • Spacers (see questions below)
Q: Is 2.5” enough lift for this setup / will I be happy with the results? Since Rubicon is already ~1” taller, I want to make sure I’m not going through all this and only getting 1.5” lift with my heavier bumpers (and eventually winch). But also don’t want to go too tall because it’s a DD too.

Q: Have read a lot here about sagging TF springs and rusted TF springs. With my extra weight and living in New England (salty roads), are these the right springs for me?

Q: To follow previous questions, what size spacers should be added to level the Jeep out? Has rake now, and will be even more so with front winch. And more weight on rear with larger tire

Q: Interested in the adjustable front LCA. Are these relatively easy to dial in from home? Don’t think I’ll make it to alignment shop right now due to quarantine so plan on trying to dial in on my own for now

Q: Why go Rancho 999329 over 31? Does the longer shock work with this setup? Like the adjustable for a tighter ride.

Q: Can I run this on the stock ‘15 Rubicon wheels with 255/75/17 BFG M/T’s for a few weeks no off-roading before I order rims and tires? Or are spacers 100% required for this? Would like to dial in the suspension with current wheels and tires.

Q: As a WranglerForum member, is there a discount code as I’ve seen others post about?

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
I will point out that unless your Rubicon is a Recon it isn't taller suspension wise than any other JK / JKU.
I will also say I would go with the Core 4x4 track bar over a SteerSmart track bar.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,410 Posts
@Akennedy, welcome to the forum! If we can help, let us know...

I will also say I would go with the Core 4x4 track bar over a SteerSmart track bar.
This is interesting and has me thinking... why? Not arguing just wondering your thoughts. Feel free to shoot me a PM or a email if you would like.

-Jason

·
Registered
421 Posts
The steersmart track bar is really fat. Might give some clearance problems if you have a thick aftermarket diff cover. Mine started slightly rubbing the stock cover after I got adjustable front lowers. I probably have them adjusted too long though.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
@Akennedy, welcome to the forum! If we can help, let us know...

This is interesting and has me thinking... why? Not arguing just wondering your thoughts. Feel free to shoot me a PM or a email if you would like.

-Jason
I like the Core 4x4 stuff better, and I like the Core 4x4 company better. Some people have great luck with SteerSmart. But others don't. I was stunned at how they treated my brother when he had one of their parts fail. I know other people have great customer experiences with them. But it seems somewhat hit or miss in that regard.
I run and like the TeraFlex HD track bars. But if I was buying them over again I would look at the Core 4x4 track bars. They are stout, come with different grades of end bushings as I understand it, and come in a number of cool colors.
I don't expect everyone to agree with me on this, and that is fine. That is what the internet is for. But That is my two cents. I just think there are better options out there. It isn't that the SteerSmart track bar is bad, I just think some other options are better.

2741 - 2756 of 2756 Posts