Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 95 YJ a couple months ago. Its going to be an extra toy for me, something fun to work on and cruise around on. I had a Jeep about 12 years ago but it was new and my daily driver ect. Anyway ...

I found this one pretty cheap and checked it out -- tires were good, engine had great compression and ran strong, trans shifted well, no frame rot or rust ect. Perfect right? Needs a little TLC right?

So I am going over the thing top to bottom and finally get around to fluids yesterday. Trans was no issue, rear diff was low but no issue. So I get to the front differential and what do I see? Have a look ...

Yes folks, that hole where the fill plug should be? Well there is no fill plug. No, instead the hole has been patched with MORTAR. The same stuff you patch a crack on your sidewalk with, or set bricks with, or put up a scratch coat of stucco.

COME ON! I can deal with shoddy wiring, duct tape here and there but dude ... MORTAR?!?!? WTF!!

Have to pull the cover tonight and see what I'm dealing with. Might be time for a whole new axle setup ... though I guess if there is fluid in there, I might be able to salvage it for a few more miles.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Man that is the best PO fix yet. Hopefully a good cleaning and everything is still good. The Dana 30 is pretty sound.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That's different aproach to "where'd that drain plug go?"
Probably in a oil catch somewhere...

I had a rig once that was missing a front pully bolt.
Anyways I just replaced it
3 years later I'm rebuilding the engine and drop the oil pan.
Sure enough there's the missing bolt, socket that fits the bolt and get this a sheet rock screw. Also a key that fit the trunk.

Then up top in the lifter valley a magnet stick. Probably used in attemp to get the bolt and socket.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow. I assume it will be like the rear was ( a little low and just old) but I hope the PO at least changed the fluid before stuffing mortar in there. Hardened up that is the equivalent to dumping sand into the diff.

People are incredible!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speedy4x4 said:
That's different aproach to "where'd that drain plug go?"
Probably in a oil catch somewhere...

I had a rig once that was missing a front pully bolt.
Anyways I just replaced it
3 years later I'm rebuilding the engine and drop the oil pan.
Sure enough there's the missing bolt, socket that fits the bolt and get this a sheet rock screw. Also a key that fit the trunk.

Then up top in the lifter valley a magnet stick. Probably used in attemp to get the bolt and socket.
That's crazy finding all of that!! I found some random stuff INSIDE this jeep but mortar takes the cake for inside the drivetrain :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My parts Jeep had a perfectly preserved burrito under the rear seat. I gave it back when they brought the title over.:D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Pudwak said:
My parts Jeep had a perfectly preserved burrito under the rear seat. I gave it back when they brought the title over.:D
I had a mazda with a dirty diaper under the rear seat.

Kid a got it from traded me my jetta for the mazda.

He needed a good family car
89 jettas almost fit car seats.
94 mazda mx3? Not even close

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Are you sure it isn't mud or dried dirt from a dirt dobber? If you haven't already, use a flat screwdriver and try to scratch the mud or morter out of the center. The fill plug comes out with a 3/8 extension

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm from NC and have seen the work of dirt dobbers......so I have to agree with D5..........looks like the drain plug is still there, but was filled by a dirt dobber....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the heads up guys -- I owned a concrete company for 5 years ... I already chipped it out, its mortar. Nothing is covered up. But hey, worth a shot right?

I ordered a diff cover on ebay, $10 shipped with the fill plug so hopefully I'll be back in business later this week.

As for finding stuff under the seats, it really is crazy -- this Jeep had plenty of other crap but nothing like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts