Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in the mountains and it snows A LOT, well not last year but usually. We got 4 inches last night and with any luck we won't see blacktop until late April. I had a 2000 XJ for last 10 years and I pretty much put it in 4H in November and left it there until spring thaw, unless I went down the mountain to Denver for any reason. This is my first winter with my 07 JKU and I've heard a few people say 4H puts too much stress on the JK transmission, one guy even said he burnt his transmission out after only 20k running in 4H too much. Is this the case, should I use 4H only sparingly? I drive 30 miles roundtrip each day, plus sales calls, on mostly snow covered roads. My commute will always consist of some pavement, snow and black ice. Can I just leave it in 4H or should I be weary of that?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
This is why the NV242 t-case was the greatest t-case EVER. You could select 4-Full Time and just leave it there all winter and not worry about it.

With the JK's t-case I personally wouldn't do it...unless there was perpetual snow on the road 24/7 all winter.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think the football player iced the puck so he gets two free throws. Thus the score is 30-love unless he gets a hole in one.

I put mine in 4 hi only when needed. Better to slow down in 2 hi imo.

Bryce

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
My Libby had the NP-242 (Select-Trac) option....and I'm already going to miss it.

If you are going in straight line on patchy roads, you might be OK.....but I would probably switch the 2H just to be safe....unless you are on ice or deep snow.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses but I'm not asking for advice on how to drive on snow. I'm looking for opinions or experience with the the JK consistently engaged in 4H. So far I've got one yay and one nay on being consistently in 4H (thank you) and one drive slower in 2WD and one suggestion to only drive in straight lines on patchy roads......very helpful advice from the last 2.

·
Registered
354 Posts
.....we won't see blacktop until late April.
If this is the case, you can leave it in 4H all winter. Change the TC fluid at a more frequent interval though.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I am currently in upstate New York and see a good amount of snow, not as much as you tho. I also spend much of my winter in northern New Hampshire, again a good amount of snow.

Personally if I know the roads are good I leave it in RWD. Once snow is falling or I stop seeing water flying off tires in front of me(glare/black ice) I throw it in 4x4. And leave it there. I've need heard of it hurting the transmission. Like all 4x4's it'll hurt your front axle U-joints if you are using it unnecessarily and you'll burn more gas but you can do Ujoints yourself for less than $50. That's less than a tank of gas.

Have you seen how fast the jk can swing around when you spin out? It's way too fast. I'd rather just buy new U-joints when the time comes

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Yeah, Im an old school YJ guy but heck, I live in MI and have an opinion so I will share.

Regardless of the TC, Trans, Etc... as long as you are not making tight turns on dry pavement, how can you damage it? I guess Im not understanding any reasons why you wouldn't run 4h? Pending you have snow on the roads.

Am I right you guys to say that unless your turning tight on dry pavement frequently there isn't anything to worry about? And like JKjeeper06 says, its mostly front U joints that take a hit when turning tight on dry pavement... What am I missing???

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff there. I had never heard of it hurting the transmission either but I had multiple people on our last run, some with much more jeeping experience than me, say that running alot in 4H was not a good idea.
That's a good call to look into changing the TC fluid more often.
I did notice pretty quickly that is way more graby than the XJ on tighter turns on dry pavement. I'll just be more conscious when pulling into fully plowed parking lots etc. Thanks guys for the good thoughts here.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Driveline lash...or whatever you like to call it. The T-case functions as a locked center differential when the JK is in 4H. What that means is that regardless of your turning circle, any time your front and rear axle drive shaft are required to turn at different speeds (i.e. during turns or suspension articulation) you are placing added stress on most every component in your driveline, but the T-case in particular. This is exagerrated at high speeds such as when you are commuting.

It's up to your judgment if you think the added driveline and T-case stress/wear is worth the more assured traction of the 4H.

Yeah, Im an old school YJ guy but heck, I live in MI and have an opinion so I will share.

Regardless of the TC, Trans, Etc... as long as you are not making tight turns on dry pavement, how can you damage it? I guess Im not understanding any reasons why you wouldn't run 4h? Pending you have snow on the roads.

Am I right you guys to say that unless your turning tight on dry pavement frequently there isn't anything to worry about? And like JKjeeper06 says, its mostly front U joints that take a hit when turning tight on dry pavement... What am I missing???

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good description DJ, I hadn't thought of it that way. So the T-Case of the older XJ's was better than in the JK's? Meaning it could handle higher speeds and more consistent engagement with less wear and tear than what we've got now?
Based on this discussion I think I will be a little more selective when using 4H. It still better be able to handle some consistency without going to $hit though. I'd be pissed if my Jeep couldnt get me to work on a regular basis in snowy conditions.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Your XJ and my KJ had a center differential....which basically allowed the front and rear axles to spin at different speeds while "locked" (in 4H).

That is we could stay in 4H all year long. But the JK's don't have that...which is good for strength, but does lack the "always on" ability.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
panthermark said:
Your XJ and my KJ had a center differential....which basically allowed the front and rear axles to spin at different speeds while "locked" (in 4H).

That is we could stay in 4H all year long. But the JK's don't have that...which is good for strength, but does lack the "always on" ability.
Yup those 242 cases were the bomb. I just sold an xj with one.

I find when the roads go from bad to good to bad to good and over and over again I am going back and forth from 2 to 4 a lot with this case. And by this case I mean any 231 that I've had throughout the years.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pathmark, that makes sense. I do notice that difference just from one day out in the snow.
Wharfrat,Does it do any damage to go back and forth between 2 and 4 when the conditions are changing like that? Is it one half dozen or the other between that and keeping it in 4H in terms of wear and tear?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
As long as I wasn't feeling any "crow hopping" or hearing any pops while driving, I wouldn't think twice about leaving the jeep in 4H if the roads are permanently covered with snow. So long as the surface is slippery, I wouldn't expect you'd have a problem. I just reviewed my owner's manual and found nothing cautioning against leaving the jeep in 4H, though I did see plenty about using 4H in the snow.

·
Registered
483 Posts
We get a fair amount of snow here, been more icy the last couple of years. But I never leave my truck in 4wd for extended times. I go as far as I can in 2wd, then switch to 4x. Usually on starts I use 4wd. Normally if I am on any type of maintained road, 4wd is usually not necessary, and added speed make it more dangerous in some cases.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It is surprising that we need to have this conversation in the first place. The Jeep has a "Trail Rated 4x4" logo on it, the Jeep is supposed to be the ultimate 4x4 vehicle and now I am seeing comments that Jeepers say they would only use is sparsely or users say that it burned the transmission or transfer case??? I don't use 4Hi either, unless the situation requires it, but I am under the impression that I should be able to have it permanently on 4Hi if I wanted to.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
MTH said:
As long as I wasn't feeling any "crow hopping" or hearing any pops while driving, I wouldn't think twice about leaving the jeep in 4H if the roads are permanently covered with snow. So long as the surface is slippery, I wouldn't expect you'd have a problem. I just reviewed my owner's manual and found nothing cautioning against leaving the jeep in 4H, though I did see plenty about using 4H in the snow.
I agree, when I bought mine the dealer said 4hi should be used on slippery surfaces. On dry pavement could cause damage.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts