Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I use to have an account here, but cant seem to find it so posting from a fresh username.

I have a 1990 YJ I am rebuilding. I pulled an engine out of a XJ awhile back and these are the motor mounts Attachment one connected to vehicle.

I recently got a 96 ZJ and the motor mounts are different, however both of the blocks were straight 6 engines. Is there a way to use the old mounts instead of cutting them off to use the newer ones that came with the ZJ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think all 4.0's block holes were the same up until like 2000ish then they changed. I think all of the motor mounts were slightly different though so you might need the motor brackets off the engine that belongs in the vehicle. I'm not 100% sure though but the accessories were also mounted differently so it's best to have the old motor to switch everything over to the new block or stuff might now fit right.

And when i say motor mounts i mean these

And when i say brackets i mean these

Slow down before you go cutting the mounts off the frame bubba put the torch down and back away from the jeep

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sadly I don't have the old engine, the mechanic working on it stole it - reason I am having to buy a new one. I will look into that motor mount, seems it would fit right on current one, the ones I have from new engine don't have the same look to them, but will ping auto parts store tomorrow.

really appreciate it, thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ugh, just hit up carparts website. indeed the 6cy I had in there before must have been a 4.2 and not a 4.0 because the motor mounts are way different.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
ugh, just hit up carparts website. indeed the 6cy I had in there before must have been a 4.2 and not a 4.0 because the motor mounts are way different.

The 4.2 and 4.0 both used the same frame motor mounts on the YJ. The brackets that bolt to the block are probbaly different though. If you had the block mounts you should be able to bolt them in with YJ rubber motor mounts no problem.

The rubber YJ motor mounts all looked like this

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that recommendation, I was able to get them.

So now I have a follow-up question. I am missing the clutch and plate, etc.. for my AX15. Do I need one for the 1996 engine of the the transmission specifically?

Carparts.com has the kits for under 100
https://www.carparts.com/results/?Ntt=clutch&searchType=global&N=0&uts=true&shopId=1&searchType=global&N=0

where this one costs 350
https://www.extremeterrain.com/crown-automotive-ax15-transmission-clutch-kit-8990-40l-or-42l-yj.html?utm_content=XT Driveline - Clutch and Flywheel|Omix-ADA&T5_Var4=J114957&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Vehicle+Medium&dialogtech=ppc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&T5_Var3=orange&gclid=CMDw9O_y6twCFXiDxQIdxrcOpg&gclsrc=ds

not sure which am I suppose to get.

Also Chilton or Haynes?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
thanks for that recommendation, I was able to get them.

So now I have a follow-up question. I am missing the clutch and plate, etc.. for my AX15. Do I need one for the 1996 engine of the the transmission specifically?

Carparts.com has the kits for under 100
https://www.carparts.com/results/?Ntt=clutch&searchType=global&N=0&uts=true&shopId=1&searchType=global&N=0

where this one costs 350
https://www.extremeterrain.com/crown-automotive-ax15-transmission-clutch-kit-8990-40l-or-42l-yj.html?utm_content=XT Driveline - Clutch and Flywheel|Omix-ADA&T5_Var4=J114957&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Vehicle+Medium&dialogtech=ppc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&T5_Var3=orange&gclid=CMDw9O_y6twCFXiDxQIdxrcOpg&gclsrc=ds

not sure which am I suppose to get.

Also Chilton or Haynes?

The more expensive clutch kit you listed comes with a new internal throwout bearing. And which ever clutch you get depends on what transmission/engine you have. 1996 ZJ's did not come with a manual trans i assume that the transmission in your jeep is an AX15 with an internal slave.

I cant say for sure what parts will work on it but i would assume using a clutch for a 91-93 wrangler with a 4.0 if you are using a new 4.0 flywheel. If you are using the 258 flywheel i would use the clutch for a 1990 YJ 258.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to my neighbor (a mechanic) and he stated same thing, get parts for a 1993 YJ. So fingers crossed and pulling trigger on some parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts