Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I change my own oil most the time, I don't have the receipt from when I purchased oil at AutoZone and this is the reason theg won't cover it. This whole thing is a joke, never buy an extended warranty. The jeep has been off the road for 2 months, it'll cost 4 grand to replace it but I want to get a new ram or possibly wrangler since they changed the motors thank god. Need advice for cheapest way out of this, is there a cheaper motor that would fit my 07 wrangler. Its been at the mechanic for months but I believe its a 3.8l, help much appreciated

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The inspector saw my car, nothing was out of the ordinary, I took great care of it and I know I'm not the only one whose experienced this

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Since I change my own oil most the time, I don't have the receipt from when I purchased oil at AutoZone and this is the reason theg won't cover it. This whole thing is a joke, never buy an extended warranty. The jeep has been off the road for 2 months, it'll cost 4 grand to replace it but I want to get a new ram or possibly wrangler since they changed the motors thank god. Need advice for cheapest way out of this, is there a cheaper motor that would fit my 07 wrangler. Its been at the mechanic for months but I believe its a 3.8l, help much appreciated
Doesn't autozone keep track of your purchase? Did you pay with a credit card? I would think that you could prove that it was done with a little investing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried everything nothing I can do to get it covered, got some oil changed receipts from when I had it done at a shop but paid cash for oil at autozone. I even got the manager at autozone to write me a hand written receipt but it is not a "verifiable" receipt

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
what exactly is wrong with the motor?

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
BS. Receipts for oil purchase has nothing to with warranty coverage. You are not required to save them. How would a receipt prove you changed the oil in a particular vehicle?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
BS. Receipts for oil purchase has nothing to with warranty coverage. You are not required to save them. How would a receipt prove you changed the oil in a particular vehicle?
This is an extended warranty thru a 3rd party so I assume they can have different requirements to maintain the warranty. OP do you have a log or anything that you keep your maintenance info in like dates, mileage and what was done? I know Daggo keeps one

OP you can probably find a junkyard 3.8 for a reasonable price if you don't have the money for a brand new engine

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'd call an attorney. This sounds like standard 3rd party warranty BS. Deny the claim unless he sues, then pay it and act like they did you a favor. This is why I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. Even if they do replace the motor, it will be with a comparably aged motor out of a junkyard.

The cheapest way out of it is prolly to call an attorney and have him write a letter, which may spur them into action. Otherwise, find a reputable non-dealer mechanic, and have him rebuild or replace the motor. The Jeep should be worth far more than $4k, so seems like you ought to repair it, even if you are gonna trade it afterwards.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
This would be a great opportunity to swap in a V8 through an authorized AEV dealer. Might even be able to finance that.

How cool would it be to turn a lemon, into fire breathing margarita? :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd call an attorney. This sounds like standard 3rd party warranty BS. Deny the claim unless he sues, then pay it and act like they did you a favor. This is why I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole. Even if they do replace the motor, it will be with a comparably aged motor out of a junkyard.

The cheapest way out of it is prolly to call an attorney and have him write a letter, which may spur them into action. Otherwise, find a reputable non-dealer mechanic, and have him rebuild or replace the motor. The Jeep should be worth far more than $4k, so seems like you ought to repair it, even if you are gonna trade it afterwards.
this is what I wanna do, I have a friend of a friend whose an attorney but I feel like it would be waste of money also, idk if I have a case. It is such bullshit that I would need that receipt but the contract says it needs verifiable receipts for oil changes and such.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
This would be a great opportunity to swap in a V8 through an authorized AEV dealer. Might even be able to finance that.

How cool would it be to turn a lemon, into fire breathing margarita? :thumb:
:rofl2:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
this is what I wanna do, I have a friend of a friend whose an attorney but I feel like it would be waste of money also, idk if I have a case. It is such bullshit that I would need that receipt but the contract says it needs verifiable receipts for oil changes and such.
Most attorneys will at least take a look at your case for free or close enough to free that you should absolutely go.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would do the Hemi option through a Credit Card with rewards points and use the points for another mod.

Or, have your mechanic (hopefully they are good) rebuild the head.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Even though the contract indicates that you need a "verifiable receipt" I would be very surprised if any state's consumer affairs laws would allow a company to deny coverage over one oil purchase receipt when the vehicle was otherwise properly maintained. It seems like they can't claim abuse so they're trying to go another route. Check your states consumer laws which will cost you nothing. You can probably file your own small claims action in civil court for basically nothing. It might take awhile for it to be resolved. If you're able to do it, having an attorney review it for you might be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
I have changed my own oil for years but stopped doing it for this reason. When I went to sell my 2010 Rubicon I pulled the CarFax report and they had my complete history of oil changes and even went on to claim my vehicle was worth $ 750-1,000 more due to good care.

I would prefer to let someone else track my maintenance as you need all the advocates you can get when stuff like this happens.

Pay me now, or pay me later. Remember this bit?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd raise hell with the dealer who sold you the policy...small chance, but it may help. There's Small Claims Court, but unless the company is coincidentally hq'd in NY, it would be tough to collect even if you won in court. Few lawyers will take a case so small and the company relies on that fact.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts