Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 jeep wrangler 2.4l is makeing a noice in the motor i thought it was just a exhaust leak but i got the exhaust leak fixed but still the noise it kinda sounds like my lifters are sticking but dont know much about it please help thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mine does the same. it's an 06 2.4L with 46K. I think it's common for the 2.4L not a super motor but I was told just keep on oil changes at normal intervals but if it gets worse probably get her checked.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Have you changed engine oil brands lately or maybe switched to a different weight oil?

Does it tick cold? Warm? Both? Idle? Under load?

If you suspect a lifter, you can dump a quarter quart of ATF in the engine
it's not bad at cleaning some hard oil deposits. You could seafoam the thing too. That does a good job. Cleans injectors too. I've seen those tick as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
um its bad when cold i can hear it when it warm but not as bad same when idling an i have 31 superswampers on it so i cant hear it when im driving it i havent changed the oil brand i will tho now i read something about it might be a egr valve or something that might be bad but my check eng light isnt on so im not sure

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I agree with trying the oil change first. That's what I was leaning with in my 1st post. Keep in mind this may take 2 or 3 oil changes sometimes. Other times it's instant. If that doesn't work, try oil that's a little heavier. I do this when vehicles hit 100-150k. 5-20 to 5-30 or 10-30 to 10-40 for example. It helps due to engine wear and mild opening up of tolerances that occur.

In the meantime dump some seafoam in the oil and a tank of gas. Change the oil after 200 miles. See what happens couldn't hurt right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts