Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a mechanic. But took jeep mudding. An now it won't crank. Kinda seems like it wants to. An now it's got radiator fluid dripping from under motor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
265 Posts
There's not much we can do for you with such little information..

Have you checked your battery voltage? Have you checked it when you crank the engine? Are all of your connections clean and tight? You need spark, compression, and gasoline to get an engine to run. Doesn't sound like a compression issue. So start with the basics. See if you're not getting gas or spark.

Starting issues are tough to diagnose, you really just have to go through step by step and rule things out.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Not much of a mechanic. But took jeep mudding. An now it won't crank. Kinda seems like it wants to. An now it's got radiator fluid dripping from under motor. Any ideas?
I would say you have some bad connections on your battery as you say it won't crank. Take them off the battery and actually use a wire brush or sandpaper or something and get them down to bare shiny metal and re install. That is where I would start for the no start issue. As far as antifreeze leak...... Who knows?!? Need a little more specific location on it. Try to trace the wet coolant back up and find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Define won't crank; engine does not turn at all, engine turns but does not start, engine turns slugish.

You went mudding, if it does not turn at all, check your starter / flywheel for mud.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Define won't crank; engine does not turn at all, engine turns but does not start, engine turns slugish.

You went mudding, if it does not turn at all, check your starter / flywheel for mud.
X3,, I'm reminded of a time when my daughter ( age 29) called me at work in near hysteria telling me her engine wouldn't " turn over".. I walked her and her boyfriend through all the steps necessary to determine if the starter was bad, or just a bad connection at the battery... ( I'm 500 miles from her, talking on my headset) after a half an hour of back and forth, she angrily replied that I was no help at all... After calming her down, I explained the difference between turning over/cranking, and firing.... Once we got that straightened out, we narrowed it down to a very dirty fuel filter on her JETTA TDI... To the OP,, what exactly do you mean, not cranking?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Yep there is a difference between not cranking & not starting. Not cranking means the starter motor isn't working at all. Think about the days when people literally used hand cranks to turn their engines so they would start. That is cranking the engine, starting is when the engine actually catches & runs after being cranked. :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Kinda like its not getting any gas. Won't turn over. Found out leak was from water pump
My fellow keeper,, as Jerry and I have both stated, in the kindest way possible, it is impossible for any one on these forums to even begin to access or diagnose your vehicle's mechanical problems until you are able to use the correct terminology to describe what you engine is or is not doing.. I've read all of your posts, thoroughly and I still do not know what your engine is, or is not doing.....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
My fellow keeper,, as Jerry and I have both stated, in the kindest way possible, it is impossible for any one on these forums to even begin to access or diagnose your vehicle's mechanical problems until you are able to use the correct terminology to describe what you engine is or is not doing.. I've read all of your posts, thoroughly and I still do not know what your engine is, or is not doing.....
I'm pretty sure it's turning over. As not having gas wouldn't prevent it from turning over like an electrical problem would.

From here we need to start diagnosing what isn't right. Is the OP getting a spark?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts