Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all newbie here. Just picked up my first jeep wrangler (ive had a 98 cherokee for 12 yrs so this is somewhat new territory for me). Its a 1987 model, with the 4.2L. Its a true project and im swapping axles on it but in the meantime wanted to see if anyone could help with this area.

2 owners ago (at least), someone did the motorcraft 2150 conversion on it. In the process they pretty much cut most of the wires and vacuum lines, as well as filling the charcoal canister with antifreeze. Cant tell if the ECU is connected, and it appears to be a ford/motorcraft.

My concern is sadly (and stupidly) enough they brought back emissions in northern Colorado where i live 2 yrs ago, and I do not know if it has passed recently. Its just a tailpipe test, but still somewhat concerned after looking at the diagrams.

Anyone with this setup have any tips for getting in to point of passing? Im attaching some photos to help show whats there and whats not since im still trying to learn all of this.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
First you have mods and no idea what they did probably a nutter bypass which takes out most all vacuum and the computer by cutting and splicing wires. Since it ois just a tailpipe test see if you can go to the site and see if the technician is required to inspect all original emission equipment installed. Here in Nevada it is so.

Go to google and put in YJ Nutter Bypass there is many threads to read which will explain and lead you to identify what has been done. And use this site to understand your emissions test and also go to the Colorodo site and check and see if you can find what they inspect for. With a good tuneup and solid exhaust even with the Nutter you can pass the tailpipe test many owners here on the forum have done so.

FREE Smog Check Coupons | Get 50% Off CA Smog Test Centers | Smog Check, Smog Test Only Center, Smog Repair Stations, Smog Station, Emission Support Website. Find smog test, STAR smog stations, smog test center, smog check repair, smog check only, Go

1 - 2 of 2 Posts