Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tow motorcycles with their JK? Someday I'd like to get a smallish enclosed trailer big enough to tow 2 sport bikes. (not 800lb+ cruisers)

Is a JK with 4.56 gears and a 6 speed able to handle this, or is this a no go?

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you stay within the tow limits of the JK, 3500 lbs. all should be good. A flat front enclosed trailer might buck the wind, but that's normal. I've pulled my dual sport bikes all over the country on my open motorcycle trailer and didn't notice it being back there most of the time.

trainman

·
Registered
730 Posts
I can't see why not, they only weight about 375 each. I've seen people at the track with that hitch carrier. Asked how it was and they really liked it. When I had my tacoma I thought about getting one so I didn't have to push my bike up into the bed. Especially after a long hot day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, good enough. Thank you. It's not ideal, but there's no truck in my future without giving up the Jeep, and we can't have that!

·
Registered
239 Posts
A 5X8 Big Tex flat bed with a ramp gate serves as my P/U since I got the JK. Hauls the motorcycles, junk to the dump, building materials, ect., ect., ect. Handy as heck, easier to load than a P/U bed, pulls easy and I do not worry about scratching or denting it. And I still get to drive a Jeep when I don't have to haul anything. Win Win!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I'd rather go with something enclosed due to any inclement weather as well as the ability to throw crap in the trailer around the bike(s) and not have to worry about it blowing out.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would think that you wouldn't have any issues, even with an enclosed trailer, unless it's just a really heavy trailer.

I've towed my 5X10 utility trailer several times with my JKRHR, which is completely stock with the auto and 3.73 gearing. I've also had my Sportster on the trailer a couple of times (it weighs in a little under 900 pounds).

Exco

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know. The heaviest bike I have right now is my '17 Scout, which is pretty light comparibly. The other 2 are sportbikes, which are lighter yet, even though no one would really call an RC51 "light."

·
Registered
857 Posts
I tow an enclosed trailer with my dirt bike in regularly. It works, but the additional load is very noticeable. It reduces the gas mileage by 7-8 MPG. My trailer with my bike and gear weighs about 1,500 pounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got 33" tires, 3:21 axle, and pull 1500# UTV and 900# trailer and have no problems with heat or power. But like others the mileage takes a hit. Have fun!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I race with the CRA and I pull a 5'x8' enclosed V-nose trailer with my 675R, a very heavy and loaded tool chest, pit bike, EZ-up, two sets of track gear, camping gear and luggage.
I pull with a 2017 2 door, manual transmission w/3.73s two hours each way. No trouble at all. The Jeep also has steel bumpers w/ a winch and a full set of steel skids with sliders.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts